Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Winter weakens, spring kills.
Hope for a good spring.
This is my take as well.... The spring mortality is where we need to worry, a cold spring will be the deciding factor on the health of the herds.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:51 PM

That cold was brutal and a fair amount of snow around my area but still nothing like 2013. Before the end of November the snow was stupid deep already and deer movement was slim.

Hope the rest of the winter isn't to bad as with that winterkill and supplementals persisting a few years following it took a while to get back to good numbers. Would hate to see a repeat.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:02 PM

AAAhhhhh....the winter of 2013!! This is what my road looked like....AFTER they plowed it.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:12 PM

My take....work trip and have been driving from Cowtown and now sitting in Wpg for the rest of the week. A little snow in Calgary area, very little Brooks to the Hat if any, The Hat to just past Speedy Creek looks like late fall. Fields bare and zero snow. Get closer to Moose Jaw and begins to look like winter. Stayed in Brandon last night and typical winter with big snow banks all over. In the Peg now which has t9ns of snow. Heard on the radio the have blown the snow clearung budget already and we have a snow storm warning out for tomorrow night. Depends where you are in the south as it really varies. I can see some of the animals having issues if it keeps going this way though farmers really need the snow.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:21 PM

This warm spell has really knocked down the snow pack. I am west of Calgary and things are looking better for the game
Old 01-16-2022, 09:07 PM

The biggest problem for game this time of year is predation. Lots of guys quit their snare sets early or didn't bother with the low coyote prices, go shoot some.