Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2022, 07:03 PM

Default Cold weather waterproof pants

Hate it when it happens! Went coyote hunting yesterday, the day started at -8 but then wind picked up and the temp dropped to -15. That’s ok, we were ready but… my really great and warm UnderArmour pants got snow stuck to them and then thawed in a truck and then wet again and finally my butt got wet! Damn it! That was at the end of the day but still.
What’s a good warm pants in white camo that are safe to lay down on a snow? The ones that don’t get snow stick to them and get wet after.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Depends how spendy you’re feeling, not a lot of options these days that really fit your requirements. I would look at kuiu gale force series.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
Depends how spendy you’re feeling, not a lot of options these days that really fit your requirements. I would look at kuiu gale force series.
Not white
Old 01-03-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Not white
You got an option that is?
Old 01-03-2022, 08:13 PM

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/nodak-bib/white

These would be my choice.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:16 PM

The nodak bibs aren’t insulated.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:24 PM

I use my goretex gear, but with a white camo shell over them.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
These would be good and wear some down puffy pants underneath
Old 01-03-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
The nodak bibs aren’t insulated.

Wear some layers … you’ll be good from -10 to - 40 !
Old 01-03-2022, 08:37 PM
Banned

I think it’s ridiculous that they have white camo for snow goose hunters but no one has a really good cold weather white camo
Old 01-03-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I think it’s ridiculous that they have white camo for snow goose hunters but no one has a really good cold weather white camo
I agree, I’ve personally been considering going to something like an fxr suit with a set of overwhites.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:59 PM

I wear my late fall regular hunting setup with cheap white overalls for coyote hunting in the snow.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:03 PM

I knew a guy who would hunt in snowy conditions wearing a Tyvek suit. Never tried it myself, but seems like it would work, in theory.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_doornenbal View Post
Wear some layers … you’ll be good from -10 to - 40 !
The problem with layers- it’s getting too bulky and restrict the movements in a snow… That’s the reason why I liked my UnderArmour snow bib - it’s super warm! I don’t need to wear anything under it up until -25C . If they only be more waterproof!
I used to wear a regular snow pants(waterproof) with the white camo shell pants over it and a set of thermal underwear longjohns. Way too bulky. Getting old and like the comfort, lol!
Old 01-03-2022, 09:19 PM

Default Uses

I usually get a full white one piece with hood slip on coveralls in white,very lite material but are big enough to slip over almost any winter type of pants and or down jacket,they usually come in boxes of 10-20 pcs if I can rememberer correctly,almost reusable white coveralls type used for painting
Old 01-03-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Exactly... I mentioned this to the kuiu rep he basically told me to go to Walmart and buy a white shell too go over it. First day hunting in Kyrgyzstan the outfitter got a local too make a covering from a bed sheet so I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:44 PM

I ordered REDHEAD white camo bibs silent model..at -43 all I had under them was a old pair of sweats, not a touch of cold...so impressed with them. And I am always cold lol.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-03-2022, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Exactly... I mentioned this to the kuiu rep he basically told me to go to Walmart and buy a white shell too go over it. First day hunting in Kyrgyzstan the outfitter got a local too make a covering from a bed sheet so I didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.
This is a neglected part of the market
If a company like skre or Canis wanted to sell a lot of product and get new customers
They should come up with a cold weather snow camo system
Why compete with Sitka and kuiu at their own game
Get ‘em where they aren’t strong
Old 01-03-2022, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
I ordered REDHEAD white camo bibs silent model..at -43 all I had under them was a old pair of sweats, not a touch of cold...so impressed with them. And I am always cold lol.
But how are they for getting wet? When you are laying down in a snow for 20-30 minutes - will the snow stick to them?
Old 01-03-2022, 11:51 PM
Banned

Gortex Bibs:

https://frontierfirearms.ca/cf-surpl...mbat-overalls/

Outer Shell:

https://frontierfirearms.ca/canadian...-whites-pants/

OR....

Use some sort of groundsheet to lie/sit on.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Gortex Bibs:

https://frontierfirearms.ca/cf-surpl...mbat-overalls/

Outer Shell:

https://frontierfirearms.ca/canadian...-whites-pants/

OR....

Use some sort of groundsheet to lie/sit on.
I was actually thinking of some kind of a ground sheet to use. Just don’t want to carry this thing around.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:19 PM

Default Spitballin' ideas

Many of the new "Technical Gear" weatherproof garments require regularly refreshing the DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treatment. Either in the wash or with a spray-on treatment. Would any of these treatments be compatible for use with your existing equipment?
A few ideas: NikWax makes both wash treatments and spray-ons. Google "DWR clothing treatment" for more ideas.
Filson, Fjallraven, and Verusteleka all offer a hard wax product to maintain the water resistance of their garments. Applied with elbow grease and heat.
Note: if using the wax, you would also need to consider a way to protect your vehicle upholstery from contamination.

FTR- I use a simple white poly/cotton coverall over my cold weather gear. Its not perfect, but it works OK.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-04-2022, 03:41 PM

https://naturalgear.com/insulated-snow-park/

https://wildfowleroutfitter.com/wate...insulated-bibs

Lots of people sell them. I have a set that are insulated white camo waterproof Remington brand that I bought at Walmart about ten years ago. Nice and warm, quiet and they are waterproof, even in heavy rain.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:34 PM

Any gortex pants would work, there must be white ones out there used for skiing. I'm pretty sure snow wouldn't stick to a Tyvek suit either.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:32 AM

Default Here is what i use

Hi: I use my Sitka gaiters to keep pant legs dry in the early season or my Kryptek Gaiters/over whites.

As it gets colder I use my Cabela's white predator camo pants and jacket.

When it's really cold I use white Cabelas bibs and Cabelas jacket.

I always drag out a seat to sit on, currently using a Muddy Brand seat.

This approach keeps my pant legs dry, I don't get sweated up slogging back and forth to the truck and this setup keeps my seat/truck seat dry.

Hoopi
Old 01-05-2022, 08:57 AM

I went to a fabric shop and bought enough white polar fleece to make a top and bottom.

I found a seamstress to sew it all up. She used a pair of my sweatpants and a hoodie I had for design and sizing, and I had her make the winter camo suit a size or so bigger than normal.

I use this as a cover, over top of my regular insulated and waterproof hunting clothes.

No zippers only pull strings for the hoodie, waist, and cuffs.

All in, (top and bottom) material and labor, it cost me $150 to make.

One other thing, I had her make me a back pack cover as well. Same concept as a pillow case but with a draw string at the top. No more nylon whistling of my pack walking through the brush....

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 01-05-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopi View Post
Hi: I use my Sitka gaiters to keep pant legs dry in the early season or my Kryptek Gaiters/over whites.

As it gets colder I use my Cabela's white predator camo pants and jacket.

When it's really cold I use white Cabelas bibs and Cabelas jacket.

I always drag out a seat to sit on, currently using a Muddy Brand seat.

This approach keeps my pant legs dry, I don't get sweated up slogging back and forth to the truck and this setup keeps my seat/truck seat dry.

Hoopi
I have no problem with snow getting under the pant. So gaiters are not needed. I also carry the small chair and a heated round cushion to place under my butt on the snow. But sometimes you just can’t use the chair and the cushion is only big enough for my butt to avoid contact with snow.
Your Cabelas pants- do they get wet from laying in the snow if you have to lay down?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
But how are they for getting wet? When you are laying down in a snow for 20-30 minutes - will the snow stick to them?
The Name on them is BONEDRY...not a wet spot on me,,,,can I say that??

The RedHead® BONE-DRY® CWS Bibs for Men feature our acclaimed Cold Weather System—C.W.S.—which serves as your shield from the full-frontal assault that Mother Nature can unleash in the coldest months of the year, and it'll soon become your favorite cold weather system. In driving sleet and blinding snow, you'll stay warm, dry, and comfortable while you stalk your prey. The quiet, waterproof/breathable warp knit suede features our BONE-DRY 100% waterproof/windproof/breathable membrane—an advanced shield against moisture that also allows air circulation, increasing your comfort level while hunting in inclement weather. RedHead BONE-DRY CWS Bibs also feature 150 gram of Thermolite® Insulation for incredible warmth without weight or bulk. Additional benefits include an integrated adjustable stretch suspender system with dual clip release, 2 waterproof lockdown chest pockets, 2 front slash pocket, 2 waterproof zip lockdown cargo pockets, extra-wide belt loops, and 20" waterproof leg zips with lockdown sliders for easy on/off over muddy boots. 100% polyester for extra comfort. Machine wash. Imported.
•100% polyester
•BONE-DRY 100% waterproof/windproof/breathable membrane
•Ultra-quiet waterproof/breathable warp knit suede
•150 gram of Thermolite Insulation
•Adjustable stretch suspender system with dual clip release
•2 waterproof lockdown chest pockets
•2 front slash pockets
•2 waterproof zip lockdown cargo pockets
•Extra-wide belt loops
•20" waterproof leg zips with lockdown sliders for easy on/off

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-09-2022, 11:43 AM

I always hate how everyone just goes the lazy way and gets overwhites. I found overwhites to be baggy and weak that got caught and ripped on everything I walked through. I had the under armor bibs like OP but found the same thing with repeated in an out of the truck they got wet and uncomfortable.
Curently I'm using Kings Camo white camo pants and they have been working well for me. Still worth it to brush off the snow before you get in the truck but nowhere near the same water retention over time.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-09-2022, 12:24 PM

good god.... you guys r sure spendy...

tyvek full paint coveralls..... cost cheap... buy a few xxxl and wear your usual stuff under them. they work great in the goose patch.. they'd be just as good in the coyote patch
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."