Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
If it is big enough to break the shoulder and take out the lungs then it’s a big enough gun. I think you shouldn’t use a bullet that has to hit the bone to perform to be a good bullet for a wolf.
The ones I have seen taken with .22 centerfires up here were all lung shots.
It's not hard to pick a good bullet form them, though .
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 08:29 PM
Banned

I’ve shot a few with a 223 and it will work
But it’s definitely not the best
And they all required multiple shots
Old 01-07-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’ve shot a few with a 223 and it will work
But it’s definitely not the best
And they all required multiple shots
I shot one with the .204 at fairly close range and broke his front shoulder. He required follow up shots. I would say I was undergrunned. There were more wolves that hun around that I didn’t bother to shoot. I probably would have with a larger cartridge.
I have since gone to a 243 with 55 gn nbt with great success. Very similar to the 22 250.
Old 01-07-2022, 08:52 PM

You get very few chances, and often don't get to wait for perfect broadside shots. I have seen them soak up some much larger bullets and go a long way. I would use a larger caliber than 22. If you insist on it at least use a heavy controlled expansion bullet like a 70 gr Accubond or 62 TTSX.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Some may, but I have NEVER picked a cartridge because it may do more damage with a bad hit than another.
The whole key is to make the first shot count, not hope on subsequent shots or
or that a bad hit will slow an animal down.
I've seen deer run with a bad magnum hit only to be shot with a lesser cartridge at a great distance.
However, if a person feels they need something like that , soo be it.....
Cat
Very few hunters that make the perfect shot each and every time. Of those that tell you they do, 99% are lying. I'd be a liar if I said I did. Liar more than once. I prefer to be overgunned. Have yet to see anything overkilled. Underkilled.....that's a different story.

With that being said, biggest grizz ever killed in Alberta was done so with a .22. Guess that's more than enough for a wolf then.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:19 PM

If that’s what you shoot best I wouldn’t hesitate.

I shot mine with my 300 RUM though because that’s what I’m most comfortable with and the wolf didn’t like it to much.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Very few hunters that make the perfect shot each and every time. Of those that tell you they do, 99% are lying. I'd be a liar if I said I did. Liar more than once. I prefer to be overgunned. Have yet to see anything overkilled. Underkilled.....that's a different story.

With that being said, biggest grizz ever killed in Alberta was done so with a .22. Guess that's more than enough for a wolf then.
Lots of people use bigger stuff for wolves I know, but the 22/250 will work if used properly , that was the original question .
There ate those tgat argue that the 3006 is enough for Grizzly bears and those that say it isn't.
Many don't consider the. 22 centerfires adequate for anything but small varmints , even after being shown they can be used on bigger stuff.
Then there are those that don't give a dam and shoot what they have with them.
Would it be my first choice for wolves No, but it certainly would not be my last choice either .
That is why we have choices.
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 10:56 PM

Usually when you run into wolves they are already peeling out. Running shots. Multiple chances and more of them scattering. Brush and willows in the way. Deer gun is much better bet.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:20 PM

What I like about 22-250 is relatively low recoil and thus quick target accusition after the first shot. Great for coyote hunting. I would use my 7mm-08 for wolf hunting thou.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Usually when you run into wolves they are already peeling out. Running shots. Multiple chances and more of them scattering. Brush and willows in the way. Deer gun is much better bet.
If you are " running into wolves " you are going to use what you have .
As far as deer rifles go lots of people here don't think my choice of an all around big game rifle as far as cartridge or action is adequate either , that is why we have choices ......
Cat
Old 01-07-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
You get very few chances, and often don't get to wait for perfect broadside shots. I have seen them soak up some much larger bullets and go a long way. I would use a larger caliber than 22. If you insist on it at least use a heavy controlled expansion bullet like a 70 gr Accubond or 62 TTSX.
Not all 22-250 rifles will stabilize a bullet that heavy and long, need a fast twist barrel for that.
My Tikka T3 22-250 coyote rifle with a 1 in 14 twist will not stabilize a bullet much over 3/4" long and 55gr. and even then some 55gr. are too long.
Personally, If I was going to build a wolf rifle I would use a .243

Last edited by Chuck_Wagon; 01-07-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:53 AM

22-50 will get it done no sweat. I find it a little light for a 100 lb animal. Opted to buy a 243 specifically for wolves and yotes. You don't have to bring 3 rifles to go hunting big game and predators. I wish one rifle could do it all. 243 is light on big game. imo. I've done it once. lung shot. Had to track that buck for over a mile. It just does not have the punch a larger round has like a 270 wsm. Shots aren't perfect every time. 80% ish. I'm certainly no Heimo Korth

Put the hammer down
Cheers
Old 01-08-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
If I ran into them I probably would be carrying a deer gun, and that’s all there is to use. Unless it’s a Texas heart shot opportunity I don’t know there a big advantage with the deer gun vs the .22-250. Shooting through a bunch of brush maybe, but a brush shot is probably close range to be successful. I would probably use a .243 or .308 if I was specifically hunting wolves, I’d use my .223 if that is what I had with me.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:36 AM

I've shot 4 wolves in my life so far, 3 of them were out of a pack of 7 one morning about 6 years ago when I was calling elk, they dropped real nice, 180gr nosler accubond out of my 300 RUM lays them out flat. The other one was many years ago back in the 80's and I think I shot it with my 7mm rem mag and a 160 speer mag tip, it only went about 2 ' also.

There is no doubt that a 22-250 or for that matter a 223 would kill a wolf if that is what you were packing when you ran into one, but it certainly would not be my first choice if I was going out specifically for wolves, 243, 240 WM, 25-06 257 WM 7mm-08, 270 win many good choices.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:13 AM

My wolf specific gun is a .243 shootin 95gr SSTs. Kills them dead every time. Had a buddy use a .22-250 this year on a wolf off one of my wolf baits and he hit it a little far forward and the bullet didn’t go through the shoulder. Now when he comes out he brings his .257 weatherby.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:39 AM

I've lost two wolves with my .308 win. Poor shot placement after they were on the move in both situations. They are tough animals.

The wolf I shot this year was straight into the snout with my .280 rem. I'm certain that a 22-250 would have dropped her on the spot with the same shot placement. That being said, I've only seen wolves while hunting big game, so I've only shot with my AB approved big game caliber rifles.

If I were going out specifically looking for wolves, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 22-250, provided I was using the proper bullet.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:46 AM

years ago I got to shoot a 25-06 down in the states. I really liked that caliber, seems it would be a good choice for wolf, but I never hear about that caliber anymore. Does anybody still shoot it?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:50 AM

everyone here is dead on ... i sold my 22-250 and 222 and upped to a 243 which i sling 80gr ttsx which is good from any angle ... i used to live in the south and used the 222rem mostly for everything, but up where i am at now you can get bears, cougar, wolves and the ttsx has not blown the crap out of anything yet and i am good from any angle ... have to be extra careful as they pass through always
Old 01-08-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
years ago I got to shoot a 25-06 down in the states. I really liked that caliber, seems it would be a good choice for wolf, but I never hear about that caliber anymore. Does anybody still shoot it?
Yes. I have a model 700 that I love. Once it's shot out, it will be re-barreled in 25-06. Probably my favourite caliber to shoot.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Question, if wolves are considered 'Big Game' in Alberta that require minimum of 23, would it be legal to use 222 for them?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:46 AM

I've shot about 15 wolves. The only one that got away was facing me and I hit it in the head with an arrow. The one that went the furthest was a big male that I double lunged broadside at 40 yards with a 7mm rem mag and the bullet didn't expand. Both came into elk calls. Most of them were shot with 130's in 270 win or 140 partitions in a 7-08 because I was deer hunting, I only owned one rifle at the time, or the only varmint rifle I owned was too long and heavy to pack around. I'm think my brother has shot a few around his feed yard with a 22 hornet, which is a little light but still adequate at close range with non-fragmenting bullets. As long as you aren't using varmint grenades, a 223, 22-250 or 220 Swift should be fine. If I was purpose building a varmint rifle with wolves in mind and had the skills to shoot over 300 yards, I'd go 243 or 25-06. As far as a brush buster, I don't think it matters if you shoot a 17 Remington or a 45-70 as all bullets deflect.

In reality, I'd pack whatever light rifle I have confidence in. Once you get the hide off a wolf, there isn't much to them.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-08-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Question, if wolves are considered 'Big Game' in Alberta that require minimum of 23, would it be legal to use 222 for them?
Who said they are considered big game, I am not sure they are actually considered that.

Cat
Old 01-08-2022, 01:13 PM

I find these types of threads really silly. The legal or not part makes perfect sense but debating efficacy is a waste of time. It is opinion only. Some guys a 460 Bee isn't enough gun, others a 17 HH will work just fine. In my world, wolves get shot with whatever I am holding at the time.
Old 01-08-2022, 01:21 PM

I have to agree Dean, hunters can't even agree on .22 centerfires fir deer let alone wolves.
I just checked with an old friend who a retired F&W superintendent , and he Said " no, Wolves are not considered big game ", No they do not fall under the .23 minimum caliber rule.
Cat
Old 01-08-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I find these types of threads really silly. The legal or not part makes perfect sense but debating efficacy is a waste of time. It is opinion only. Some guys a 460 Bee isn't enough gun, others a 17 HH will work just fine. In my world, wolves get shot with whatever I am holding at the time.
Where would the fun in Life be without threads like this. You're right, for most people, that's the rule, wolves are usually a target of opportunity and what they have is what they use. I go looking for them and it's my .270 WSM.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-08-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have to agree Dean, hunters can't even agree on .22 centerfires fir deer let alone wolves.
I just checked with an old friend who a retired F&W superintendent , and he Said " no, Wolves are not considered big game ", No they do not fall under the .23 minimum caliber rule.
Cat
I think you meant under the .24 min caliber rule.

Last edited by heretohunt; 01-08-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:13 PM

223 with hunting bullets does well for deer sized game and should be changed in the Alberta regs imo, it’s been proven effective over and over in other provinces and states regardless of peoples opinions against it on this forum. Knowing that 22-250 set up right will be fine to think otherwise is drastically underestimating the lethality of centre fire 22’s.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:53 PM

Default 22/250 for wolves

I used to have a 25/06. Shot everything with it using 117 grain Speers. Elk, moose ,bears…If I were living in wolf country and hunted them a lot, I think that caliber would be about perfect.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 01-08-2022 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Miss spell
Old 01-08-2022, 04:40 PM

I think if you are specifically targeting wolves shoot whatever rifle you own that shoots the flattest. If I go calling wolves in a couple weeks I’ll take my 257wby
Old 01-08-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
My wolf specific gun is a .243 shootin 95gr SSTs. Kills them dead every time. Had a buddy use a .22-250 this year on a wolf off one of my wolf baits and he hit it a little far forward and the bullet didn’t go through the shoulder. Now when he comes out he brings his .257 weatherby.
So as you say it wasnt the choice of guns fault if he hit it wrong. Did he kill it with the next shot or did you with your gun.