Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Default Caring for a salamander

While cleaning the yard this weekend my boys and I discovered a tiger salamander.

Of course they wanted to keep it so we now have it in a an old aquarium with moss and water and some sand and dirt. It seems happy and we have feed it some worms which it seems to enjoy.

From what i can read twice a week is enough to feed it and works should be ok.

It is full grown and has dropped its gills from what i can see but he is pretty cool when we have work it comes out from hiding to take it from my sons' fingers and when I am in shop working it always comes out from hiding when we look in the aquarium.

I am pretty surprised at how tame it is and of course we don't handle it..

Any other tips for caring for it?
Old 09-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Banned

That's awesome.

I found my first AB tiger salamander about 2 weeks ago.

We were night fishing from the canoe and I spotted it just swimming along.

Not sure how to keep them, maybe put a small plant or something in there so the air doesnt get too stagnant/stale.

Any water should be contained in a shallow dish.

I'm sure Toirtus knows exactly what to do...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 AM

I have 5 salamanders. They're hilarious hunters. I don't think I'd use sand though. Probably a little too abrasive against his skin. I use plain potting soil and a jacuzzi reptile bath so they can submerge their bodies fully. It has steps and my sally's prefer standing on those and dunking their back into the deeper water. If you feed them by hand you'll have to do that forever. lol! They get lazy quickly and will stop hunting for food if they know it will come to them. For food I only use meal worms because they don't have a hard shell like super worms. I throw in a few (small) crickets once a week too just to make them get some exercise and hunt on their own. They won't hunt worms on their own anymore though. It's funny to watch. You'll wonder how the species survives in the wild after watching them jump at the same cricket 5 times. Haha! Some people use heat lamps but I don't recommend that. They dry out really quickly and don't love heat or light. Hope this helps some. I'm sure there are a lot of people that can share their experiences too.

Last edited by OneGirlWolfPack; 09-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

cool!

pics?

haha, I assume everyone has the appropriate permits? (joking)

So many rules these days...
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 AM

Only use clean water free of chlorine (let a jug sit out a day or so prior to use). Amphibs are extremly sensitive to contaminants. Otherwise feed some earthworms from the yard or silk/meal worms from the local pet store and enjoy. Also, you may want to let it hibernate as well. Offer lots of food over the next month to fatten it up, the let it cool off.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:40 AM

These guys are so much fun to keep!

Kept mine in a terrarium with organic soil that was kept moist, as well as a "swimming hole" made out of a plastic bowl, with enough rocks in it to allow it to climb on.

Fed it roaches and crickets, and it would eat like a dinosaur, right from my fingers! Excellent feeder. Loved that guy.

Have fun!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Gone Hunting

My wife is a school teacher and usually has a couple salamanders in the classroom. During the winter she buys crickets from the pet store to feed them. Summer time we collect worms and grass hoppers to feed them.

Some dirt in the bottom of the aquarium and a dish of water is all they have. They often spend a good deal of time under the water dish.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Yes, pics and some video would be awesome.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Pic of my tiger enclosure from a year ago. All 4 tigers are now easily double the size and in a bigger, but very similar, enclosure.

Viv in pic is 18"x18"x18" with clay hydroponics drainage balls in the bottom with a sac of activated charcoal. Next a layer of landscape fabric then a mix of peat moss, coco-peat, pure potting soil, and worm-castings. live peat moss, driftwood, river stones, a cork bark tunnel, and some ferns. water 'pond' is a plastic seeding tray.

Sallies are kept at room temp, two 7200K fluorescent bulbs. Regular water changes, twice daily misting, and feeding every 3 days on earthworms and crickets, with the occasional treat of feeder fish (minnows).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 074.jpg (102.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM

Yeah they're mostly terrestrial. I have never seen nor caught a wild tiger salamander before. I always wanted one and have looked many times. Just unlucky I guess. I found tons of wood frogs, boreal chorus frogs, and even once a columbian spotted frog near the BC border which is rare. And once a canadian toad which is also rare. Never the tigers though.....sigh....
Old 09-06-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
While cleaning the yard this weekend my boys and I discovered a tiger salamander.

Of course they wanted to keep it so we now have it in a an old aquarium with moss and water and some sand and dirt. It seems happy and we have feed it some worms which it seems to enjoy.

It is full grown and has dropped its gills from what i can see but he is pretty cool when we have work it comes out from hiding to take it from my sons' fingers and when I am in shop working it always comes out from hiding when we look in the aquarium.

best tip I could offer is to release it. The next few weeks are critical for thier winter preperations. It's the higher lessons we learn observing nature, rather than redirecting it. We might say, it's just a salamander, but really, it's the lessons of a young boy.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winged1 View Post
best tip I could offer is to release it. The next few weeks are critical for thier winter preperations. It's the higher lessons we learn observing nature, rather than redirecting it. We might say, it's just a salamander, but really, it's the lessons of a young boy.
Thanks Tips!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM

To everyone else, thanks for the help and the pics are awesome.

I talked with my oldest about releasing ti but his decision is to keep it.

It will be the best cared for salamander ever. he has had the same fish for 2 years with no martality because he is very responsible and I will show him this thread and let him make his own decisions.

He is very excited and really enjoys having a slamander as a pet.

We have moss (lots of it) and grass cliippings over top of a bed of gravel for some structure in one side of aquarium with water on the other and some strategic rocks placed accordingly. Much like the area he was found in!...

he seems to be adapting well and I get a daily salamander update every day when I get home.

They named him Sal E. Mander
Old 09-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Default Tips

Ours is huge. Last resort for food goto fishing bait store and meal worms. Ors is fast and had him for I think 4 years. If you buy to old of crickets they will keep you up all night
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM

personally if you found him in the wild I would have left him.. but I know how kids and be, sometimes you need to do what you can to make them happy or to prevent hours of crying...haha

I have found a few in the past, they are really cool critters.

I don't know much about them, other than they need moist environments...

Take good care of him!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 AM

One question, maybe Arachno can answer this one?

I had a green lizard few years ago, and was warned to get rid of him while we had young kids because they are known to be a carrier of salmonella.

Is there a chance that Sally can carry this too?

Food for thought.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Yes, that's a good point to bring up!

Here is a decent link to read about that.

Make sure anyone handling the critter, working in its terrarium or handling items in contact with the animal washes their hands well afterward.

It's a risk, but one that can be mitigated with proper protocol.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the help.

We do not handle him as we know it is not good for him. He loves the worms and we are feeding him every 3 days. I have read that crickets sometimes are not the best as if they don't eat them right away the crickets can actually bite the salamander.

We all follow proper handwashing protocol. I will have to post some pictures. he loves his moss bed and has burrowed into ot with just the front of his body sticking out and he seems quite calm and getting familiar with us.

I appreciate the tips and for clarification... for thosewho seem to like to preach release.... Having a slamander is cool and i always hoped to find one and being able to share that dream with my boys is a great gift. this also teaches them responsibility and how to care for another organism, that is a very important lesson for the day they are caring for their own family.

My oldest boy has had the same fish for over two years and there are no better cared for fish in the world. There are many lessons to learn fron caring for animals. How many of you preaching release have a dog? They once were wild too and until people started domessticating them they would never have become what they are today.

Or less diplomatically keep your opinion on the choice made to keep and care for this animal to your self and kindly go molest your headwear

cheers!...
Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help.

We do not handle him as we know it is not good for him. He loves the worms and we are feeding him every 3 days. I have read that crickets sometimes are not the best as if they don't eat them right away the crickets can actually bite the salamander.

We all follow proper handwashing protocol. I will have to post some pictures. he loves his moss bed and has burrowed into ot with just the front of his body sticking out and he seems quite calm and getting familiar with us.

I appreciate the tips and for clarification... for thosewho seem to like to preach release.... Having a slamander is cool and i always hoped to find one and being able to share that dream with my boys is a great gift. this also teaches them responsibility and how to care for another organism, that is a very important lesson for the day they are caring for their own family.

My oldest boy has had the same fish for over two years and there are no better cared for fish in the world. There are many lessons to learn fron caring for animals. How many of you preaching release have a dog? They once were wild too and until people started domessticating them they would never have become what they are today.

Or less diplomatically keep your opinion on the choice made to keep and care for this animal to your self and kindly go molest your headwear

cheers!...

"kindly go molest your headwear"

Bwahahahahahahahahaah most diplomatic way of say this ever!!!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I thought my comment was civil and respectful. I had many pets when I was a youngster, from magpies to garter snakes to gophers. I've learnt my lessons and speak from a parenting point of view. But hey, most people these days seem to know better.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

cut his legs off..... see if they grow back?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
One question, maybe Arachno can answer this one?

I had a green lizard few years ago, and was warned to get rid of him while we had young kids because they are known to be a carrier of salmonella.

Is there a chance that Sally can carry this too?

Food for thought.
I will answer this one, too (from the point of view of a 20-year herpetologist, and 35-year herpetoculturalist)...this subject is something that I have had a LOT of experience with.

Wash your hands, keep things decently clean, don't lick your pets.

You have a far, far greater chance of catching a zoonotic disease/parasite from your dog or cat than you do a reptile or amphibian. CDC stats on medically significant cases of salmonellosis in humans that originated from herpetofauna are far less than even 1% of all reported cases every year.

If you want to be worried about something, look at the stats for salmonellosis from undercooked chicken (or cross-contamination from same), and fast food. The occurrence of parasitic worms from dogs and cats is pretty high, too.

I could sit here and quote numbers, studies, etc, but the answer is really quite simple.

Wash your hands, keep things decently clean, don't lick your pets.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

Can I lick my pet if it is endemic to the Sonoran desert?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Yes.
I'll even take the photos.

Know what it feels like in your hands?

I do.

But I'm pretty sure I'll be disciplined if I explain it to you.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Yes.
I'll even take the photos.

Know what it feels like in your hands?

I do.

But I'm pretty sure I'll be disciplined if I explain it to you.
I'm intrigued

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 AM

I heard they like salt
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
BeeGuy, just stay away from cane toads

To the op, please put up some pics of the enclosure. As a long time hobbiest of fish and amphibians I am interested in seeing/hearing more about this
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Well, the tiger salamander population at the house just jumped from 4 to 9. New enclosure being assembled and planted this week..will post pics once it is done. Tomorrow I will take some shots of the new guys and post them up.