Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
A lot of Angels and their supporters are avid outdoorsmen, they just don't wear the colours while enjoying the outdoors.
X2, alot of the boys are avid outdoorsmen, but you wouldnt know them from a civilian unless they were wearing there cut.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Pretty much sums up my experiences with the criminal "justice" (not) system. In the last year I have been out around $1800 in wages so a criminally bad driver could get a $100 fine and 6 months to pay it. In the other case a drunk driver plead out 5 minutes before the trial, so I was out another days work.

On the other hand, had to take legal action against a jerk who owed me some cash. Went through, mediation, pre-trial, and a trial. Douche doesn't even show up for the trial, lol, judge was not impressed at all. Tacked on about a 45% douche bag surcharge.
Would be nice if a guilty verdict also had a court cost tag attached to it, pay for wittnesses etc. Might not be so many that would take their chances on a wittness not showing.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
X2, alot of the boys are avid outdoorsmen, but you wouldnt know them from a civilian unless they were wearing there cut.
So....not directed at anyone, but is there a problem that a guy with a motorcycle who belongs to a club, is also an avid Outdoorsmen???
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
How many "hell's angels" have you seen out fishing or hunting?
Might surprise you !! PS. (On the court and legal system); Went through all the legal and court bullsh#t to get some legal satisfaction and money from a little puke who stole my jeep 5 years ago. The poor little thing promised the judge he would pay the money for the jeep in September 2012. Still no money. Maybe; might work a little better.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So....not directed at anyone, but is there a problem that a guy with a motorcycle who belongs to a club, is also an avid Outdoorsmen???
Nothing at all... Sometimes its nice for them not to be targeted followed and harassed When not doing a thing wrong at the time. Saves time and a headache more often then not.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Its typical behavior

People instantly get riled up, willing to do anything at the time, then......

Time passes. That poached grouse doesnt seem so important now, with everything else that life has handed you in the past months. Add to that the day you already spent in court, only to be told that the case has been adjourned to another time and date.

In hindsight, if you want "justice", probably the only way to get it is to club the guy like a baby seal at the scene. Then again, maybe not.
I hindsight Randy,Your starting to sound like you have been training for the RCMP.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM

If you aren't prepared to testify, why waste anyone's time by calling the RAP line?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
I hindsight Randy,Your starting to sound like you have been training for the RCMP.
Hehe. Only the guilty need fear.

If I SEE it happen, I dont need some douchebag lawyer or judge to tell me whether the guy did it or not. I SAW it. They were at home watching "Fantasy Island" on DejaView.

We dont have a justice system. We have a legal system. The only people it serves is maggots, especially those in suits.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Hehe. Only the guilty need fear.
We like your style
Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okotokian View Post
then you wouldn't have phoned rap, would you? I think the op is talking about people who phone, but then don't give names or show, hence the "no witnesses".

I think i'd show and testify, unless:

1) the trial was at a really inconvenient time or location and the charge was minor, or

2) the poacher was wearing a "hell's angels" vest.
lmao, good one brother ...lol hells angels vest !!!! I like that one

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM

O god how i miss swil huntin,,,a good game of golf gets it of me mind thou.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
A lot of Angels and their supporters are avid outdoorsmen, they just don't wear the colours while enjoying the outdoors.
Out looking for places to dump the bodies too?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I have no problems with guys belonging to clubs, but I have a problem with people who belong with clubs that do illegal things. There are lots of those kind of clubs, not just biker gangs.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Went to court for a guy who shot a fork muley buck when it was three point. Witnesses for him lied, his lawyer accused me of lying, judge fell asleep and CO did not do a great job collecting and presenting evidence. Guy got off in the end. Pretty disappointing all in all and lost a days wages.

Alba gu brath!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I have no problems with guys belonging to clubs, but I have a problem with people who belong with clubs that do illegal things. There are lots of those kind of clubs, not just biker gangs.
x2, I love people who try to portray the HA like their just a bunch of nice regular guys, just misunderstood, or try to make them out to be hero's. Yep just a bunch of nice friendly missunderstood hero's that support their lifestyle by putting meth up the noses of the same punks that break into your garage, dont judge them.

Guys who fall for that crap are the middle aged version of white kids from the suburbs who go around wearing their hat sideways trying to act like thugs. "Dont hate the playa, hate the game brotha.." Same poop different pile, buncha clowns never the less.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM

If I were to go through the hassle of reporting it and was called upon to testify I would. That being said It would behoove our legal system of making the punishment for poaching significant enough to 1. be a deterant 2. make it worth going through the system (if the fine is under 4 digits it shouldn't even go to court) Does anyone know if F&W is able to prosecute (and win) based on a sworn statement by a witness and/or photo evidence provided by that same person?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
As bad as this sounds, it would all depend on the officer assigned to the case. My last two attempts to report poaching have not been pleasant experiences and left me vowing never to report anything again.

Was that like taking a marriage vow?

Will you at least buy a T-shirt?

I know the feeling. I tried for months to get a CO to act upon a serious incident that had several eye witnesses asking for charges to be laid upon a guide and outfitter. There was video evidence, and an American hunter laying dead in a field (heart attack).

Nope, although there was enough hard evidence and witnesses to procede with several Wildlife Act offences, and likely Firearms related offences as well, the CO refused to do anything at all.

There are times where the CO's are simply understaffed and underfunded to get the job done.... then there are times wherewhere CO's are letting things slide for personal or polical reasons.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 AM

I probly would not go to court as I cannot afford the lost day of wages. If the courts fines if convicted included the cost of the lost wages and travelling costs, I think more people would show.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I called the Police on a kid who was doing about 130km/hr in a residential zone outside of my Son's dayhome.....went to Court ready to testify and the punk never showed up.....but he was convicted in his absence for stunting and running a stop sign. I was prepared to see it through though.

LC
The way I see it, you DID see it through. If you had neglected to show up as the Witness, the charges would likely have been withdrawn. Good Job.

If I witnessed something illegal going on, I would have to decide myself if it's worth the trouble to get involved enough to go and testify. If I seen a guy with an extra line in the water ice fishing, I would say a smartazz comment to the effect that real fisherman should be able to get by with 2 lines. I would also mention that it's the law. I probably would not go out of my way to call it in though; unless he was a real piece of work and didn't pull up the 3rd line after I called him on it.

If I witnessed someone peeling out a gutpile of a cow moose in February you can bet that I am going to do everything I can to see them found guilty in court. I would take pictures, call RAP, document descriptions etc. and would sacrifice my time to go to court as a witness. And I would be happy to do it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I am as cynical as the next guy...well...maybe more so.

As has already been said "We don't have a "justice" system we have a "legal" system.

We have family in law enforcement so we "get" their point of view.

We have had our own exposure to the "legal" system that left a very bitter taste in our mouths.

We have had the "LEO with a bad day" happen to us.

Yet at the end of it all I think back to my father talking about WWII and his experience as a navigator....the people that gave their very lives...that's how much THEY believed in our country and the systems within...even with the inherent flaws...and I think of the Canadian soldiers who have given their all even in recent times and I cannot help but feel I would be disrespecting them as badly as thumbing my nose at them if I did not "lose a days pay, take a day off work, sit all day on a hard bench, listen to a dirtbag lawyer defend a dirtbag", etc. Such a small sacrifice compared to people who gave years of their lives, parts of their bodies and souls, and in many cases their lives to defend our country.

As my Pa used to say "There's a reason they call it civic DUTY!"

So I will at least keep trying.
My two cents.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:03 PM

I think our time could be better spent writing letters, hundreds of thousands of them to politicians and force them to start locking up these criminals so they don't do it again. i don't care if they ever get out or are rehabilitated, take them off the street so they don't do it again. Then it might be worthwhile to take time off work and lose a days pay to go to court if the criminal got what they deserved. These crooks are costing society billions in property losses, anguish, legal costs, insurance claims, human lives and injuries, cost of policing etc etc etc. Id rather spend the billions on building jails, putting the offenders in them, throw away the keys and keeping communities free of these lowlifes. Get rid of they Young Offenders Act and start teaching these young punks that there are consequences for their actions.

It's very simple, our society is allowing this to happen and it will keep happening until we force changes to the legal system so it protects society rather than criminals. Judges and politicians are out of touch with reality and need to be put in their places. This rehabilitation slap on the wrist revolving door system has proved itself to be an abysmal failure that costs billions.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM

My brother and reported some guys shooting swans a few years back.. We took pictures, license plate # and descriptions of both the guys as well as pictures of them.. This is back when you had to use a camera and not you cell phones.. It was a lot to do and the reason it had to be done is because the fins and skins guy was busy having lunch in Strathmore and didnt want to bother coming out. These are his words.. Finaly got a hold of the "boss" in the morning and he was very interested.. We went to court and both of the poachers were convicted.. We even got a thank you letter and a couple pins from the SRD.... Just depends on the " give a f--- factor" i guess... Thought these guys were supposed to like their jobs?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadirk View Post
So was talking to a friend within Fand W and got right into a good discussion regarding how many people get caught and reported to Report a Poacher and the number that go to court on charges and I was rather shocked that around 10 % wind up in court and the biggest issue is with witnesses, He said 90% of witnesses refuse to show in court so in a huge percent of the cases they get tossed before they even make it to court. SO my question is. If you saw a wildlife infraction that you thought was reportable would you show up in court and give testimony?
100% I would stand up in court.
Poachers aren't scary to take the stand against, atleast the guys poaching walleye from CVR aren't

I'd be pleased if I got a call about that truck load
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
As bad as this sounds, it would all depend on the officer assigned to the case. My last two attempts to report poaching have not been pleasant experiences and left me vowing never to report anything again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Was that like taking a marriage vow?

Will you at least buy a T-shirt?

I know the feeling. I tried for months to get a CO to act upon a serious incident that had several eye witnesses asking for charges to be laid upon a guide and outfitter. There was video evidence, and an American hunter laying dead in a field (heart attack).

Nope, although there was enough hard evidence and witnesses to procede with several Wildlife Act offences, and likely Firearms related offences as well, the CO refused to do anything at all.

There are times where the CO's are simply understaffed and underfunded to get the job done.... then there are times wherewhere CO's are letting things slide for personal or polical reasons.
These stories dishearten me. Not sure my faith is 'restored' in F&W, although I normally give credit to the individuals who have sacraficed low pay and lack of resources to do the job.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Regardless it's still our responsibility to make the reports, and if need be follow them through, and give our F&W a push or two.

I catch on average of 1 or 2 guys poaching a year. I enjoy trying to make the cops case idiot proof. Documenting, recording, anything possible. Heck I've even called them out on a hunch that someone was about to poach. We've sat and enjoyed the show together....lol

Heck last night I caught a guy trying to drive up to some Muleys in a field, drove through all the farmers swaths, I wonder what would have happened had the bucks not made it over the edge??
Old 10-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Last time I called report a poacher wasn't happy. Saw some guys shooting ducks on a pond off highway 897 at dusk. When I got a call back the officer said he's the only guy on call and he was by lac la biche. I gave description of guys, vehicle with plate. Was told he would check it out when he got time, never got a call back.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle99 View Post
One of my newphews son's got a fine for squirel hunting
He was 8 years old at the time
Comming home from Spirit River from High Prairie,
Went throught checkstop at Donnely ,was told he could
not bring to show mom
Was shot on grampa farm in grain bins
About four year ago
Perhaps this kind of stuff is why programs are cut. If the boys are so overworked, how in hell do the have the time or interest in doing something like this.
It also speaks volumes for their checkstops. There are very few "poachers" who drive to the checkstops, but certainly alot of cripples to pick on! I'll bet this kid will have alot of respect for the SRD guys when he grows up.
The really bad part of this is that he will probably be taking it out on one of the really good guys.
Thanks for posting this!