Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Question Argo, yay or nay.

I am thinking about getting an Argo. I hunt big game and fish as well.
Question: are they all they say they are, do they go through the stuff they say they do? For just one or two guys which is better the 6 wheel or the 8 wheel?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM

x2 What he said.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 10-05-2012, 10:45 PM

Default yay

I love my Argo, its not very fast on land or water, but it will almost take you anywhere.

p.s. I've got an older one
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 PM

an ex-coworker have an argo and he learned the hard way that having a friend who also has one makes things alot easier if yours break down far away where only argos can go
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Jim Shockey trust his life with an argo, what else do you need lol
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 AM

I love mine! It does go anywhere, and in the group I hunt with, it is the only one, so I go further, but not alone and not into anything too stupid...
Is it the fastest machine in the world? Nope...
Would I take it trail riding to Castle? Nope.. Too wide and too rocky of a ride..
Would I take it out ice fishing? You bet... Awesome ride, and with the tracks, it just cruised through the snow..
Would I have any other machine for my hunts up north? Nope..I take my quad too for another hunter, but like my buddy said one time "If you didn't have that machine, we wouldn't have gone this far on the trail.." They weren't going to try a cutline with just quads, but having the knowledge that if they got stuck, we could get them out, got us past one crappy mudhole and into alot of good territory..
Is it invincible?? NOPE.. They will break down, like anything else.. I've been high centered before, and got into a water hole in a muskeg that was 15' long.. The machine is 10'.. I couldn't get enough momentum to get in or out of it.. Strung out the winch line and basically pulled it out by hand - once the tracks caught the front of the hole it climbed out.. And found one trail I couldn't get to, without alot of work with a chainsaw, as the bridge across the creek was built quad width and the banks were too steep do cross...
Would I recommend it? You bet!! Depends on what you are going to be using it for as well..

My machine is an 07, 8 wheeled, with tracks, winch, rear receiver for the winch, bilge pump, boat motor mount, and few other toys..

The dealer I'd recommend would have to be Argyl.. Hands down, they know their stuff and also the service side has been great!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Yay or nay?

Yay!! I would never get rid of mine. 07 750 Avenger, rubber tracks, winch, heater, cab, outboard bracket, and bilge pump. Love it! Not a sexy machine, like a side by side, but go almost anywhere, carries all your stuff, keeps you warm and dry.

Do your maintenence, and enjoy it!!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:51 AM

i had a terra jet 6wd years ago and it was a piece of #@$%.now i know its not a argo but when i was guiding we used argo 8wd and they were the same.this was about 20 yrs ago so maybe they got better.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM

I love mine. It's a 1981 6 wheel with an 18hp Kohler engine. Keep them well maintained and you won't have any problems. Mine's never let me down. It'll go places and pack things a quad will never do.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 AM

I hunt with guys with Argos. As long as you do maintenance on the chains and bearings you'll like it. If you don't, you'll hate it...