Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Default Air Compressors - need a suggestion

Hey folks

I'd really like to pick up a compressor for the hubby (actually, I'm the one that wants it more ). Don't know what would be realistic for us, though.

We would want it for general around home use, airing up tires, general automotive work, running an air nailer at some point, hubby might do some painting with it. Don't have unlimited cash, so the best bang for the buck would be good for us.

Suggestions?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:46 AM

Have a look at Omega's, Canadian built, recently bought 4 of these ,seem like they are very well built but time will tell..Tenaquip was the best price I found

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Hey folks

I'd really like to pick up a compressor for the hubby (actually, I'm the one that wants it more ). Don't know what would be realistic for us, though.

We would want it for general around home use, airing up tires, general automotive work, running an air nailer at some point, hubby might do some painting with it. Don't have unlimited cash, so the best bang for the buck would be good for us.

Suggestions?
Gotta give us a budget Doetracks.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned

Also need to know if you want a portable one or a large stationary one. You give some idea of what you may use it for, but painting usually needs high volume, so it limits you to a larger compressor with a large tank. Other high volume tools would be an impact driver and die grinder. Both of these would need a large tank and higher horse power compressor.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM

Sorry about that.

Under $500.00. Painting would be minor, really. More for just general utility. Portability would be nice, not going to be moved far, though (maybe into the backyard if anything). Also, we don't do a LOT of mechanical work (he does enough of that every day anyways).
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 AM

On sale at wal mart

Steve In GP

Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM

I have two primary ones; a 20 gallon cast iron/oil lubricated unit is my bigger one and a twin tank oilless Porter Cable unit that's my portable, it came as a package with a stick framing nailer. I've been surprised at the longevity of the oilless one. I don't subject it to daily use, but it's seen plenty of use over the 10 years I've had it, many days with fairly severe duty cycles. I've seen some nicely constructed ones at Home Depot; features I like are the 'armored' ones where the more fragile parts are shielded, and the quick connects are well anchored so that any tugging etc on the air hose won't be wiggling pipe joints or levering against the regulator. An easily accessible valve for blowing out the condensate water buildup is a nice touch. If a compressor doesn't have that they're easily installed though.

This Makita fits the bill for many of my preferences, with a good quality name on it:
http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/produc...971150&lang=EN

Ridgid has some decent looking ones as well. I picked up one of their air hoses at Home Depot (it's also on the linked page) and was so pleased with it's flexibility in all temperatures and ease of coiling up I bought another and haven't touched my other hoses since. Looks like they're destined for next years garage sale.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Air-Compressors/index.htm

You really want to look at the cfm@rated pressure a compressor will deliver for you, but also the motor's amperage rating. Always use a thicker gauge extension cord and keep it as short as possible, compressors are notoriously power hungry, a cord with too small a wire gauge will have you tripping fuses.
Deciding what cfm rating you'll need is up to you; check the requirements of the tools you have/plan to buy and use the highest demand rating as your shopping guide.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have two primary ones; a 20 gallon cast iron/oil lubricated unit is my bigger one and a twin tank oilless Porter Cable unit that's my portable, it came as a package with a stick framing nailer. I've been surprised at the longevity of the oilless one. I don't subject it to daily use, but it's seen plenty of use over the 10 years I've had it, many days with fairly severe duty cycles. I've seen some nicely constructed ones at Home Depot; features I like are the 'armored' ones where the more fragile parts are shielded, and the quick connects are well anchored so that any tugging etc on the air hose won't be wiggling pipe joints or levering against the regulator. An easily accessible valve for blowing out the condensate water buildup is a nice touch. If a compressor doesn't have that they're easily installed though.

This Makita fits the bill for many of my preferences, with a good quality name on it:
http://m.homedepot.ca/Product/produc...971150&lang=EN

Ridgid has some decent looking ones as well. I picked up one of their air hoses at Home Depot (it's also on the linked page) and was so pleased with it's flexibility in all temperatures and ease of coiling up I bought another and haven't touched my other hoses since. Looks like they're destined for next years garage sale.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Air-Compressors/index.htm

You really want to look at the cfm@rated pressure a compressor will deliver for you, but also the motor's amperage rating. Always use a thicker gauge extension cord and keep it as short as possible, compressors are notoriously power hungry, a cord with too small a wire gauge will have you tripping fuses.
Deciding what cfm rating you'll need is up to you; check the requirements of the tools you have/plan to buy and use the highest demand rating as your shopping guide.
I have to agree...I have the Rigid Twin Stack Compressor it's awesome! Hasn't skipped a beat in nearly 3 years! All my rigid gear has lived up to it's reputation...cept 1 - 18v battery
BUTTT ....my hose ...Caber..my grey rigid hose is cracked like you wouldn't believe. looks like old tires that have weather cracks in em. The tags are still on the hose. It's had some good use over the last two and a half years. I was going to call em and see if that's normal!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Default Waldo's

Talk to the guys at Waldo's Distributing in Calgary (NE iirc).
Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Thanks, all!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM

Go biggest you can go ... But do not go oiless and if you spend more now then later
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Got it!

The suggestion, I mean.. not the compressor
Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM

And you might look on kijiji for a deal
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Shortmag, do your hoses get lots of sunlight? Mine are fine, one is two years old and the other is just over one. Curious. Any volatile chemicals or vapor exposure?

Doetracks
I was in Lowes today and saw a nice Hitachi that stood out feature wise; induction motor (definite plus), oil lubed cast iron compressor, both tank pressure and regulated air pressure gauges, twin quick connects, ball valve tank drain. This website link doesn't have the same specs though, it may be a slightly different model, as the one I saw produced 4.4 cfm @ 100 psi instead of the 4.0 @ 100 noted on the Hitachi page. It was $338. It was rated at higher output than the larger DeWalt right next to it that cost $399. Your thread made me investigate this specifically for you when I was in there

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...cat=34&pid=238

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-06-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:43 PM

I have a Craftsman 6HP 33 gal oil-less compressor rated at 7.8 cfm @ 40 PSI and 5.5 cfm @ 90 PSI. This places it about at the top-end of hobby/home use IMO. It has a use chart printed on the top of it, and it's rated at a '6'. If you're looking for something that can put out constant air for tasks such as grinding/sanding, you'd be ideally looking for one rated as an '8' according to Craftsman's chart (I'd be more inclined to use electric tools for these types of tasks anyway). I can attest that this one would have a bit of trouble keeping up a constant 90 PSI under constant load. It'll cycle a few times (from 120 PSI down to 90 PSI tank pressure, which is when the motor kicks back on) while swapping my summer tires for winter tires with an impact wrench regulated at 90 PSI for example.

I don't have a garage, and so the compressor is in the basement (I run the hose through the house and outside when I need it). It is HEAVY, and it's far from the largest model out there. Being a horizontal model, at least it has wheels for the few times I do feel like moving it around.

While it's nice to 'have it but not need it', I could probably get by with a lesser compressor for the things I use it for.

I have had the Craftsman for about 8 years now, and it's still working well. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to recommend one, as in trying to find a similar model on Sears' website (unsuccessful), I did find a similar-looking 20 gal model which is getting very poor reviews, concerning broken parts after very little use. Not cool. Apparently the quality of a lot of Craftsman tools/equipment has been on the decline of late.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Default Cfm

Buy the air compressor with the highest cfm at the highest psi you can afford. You can always buy an air tank and plug a compressor into the "pig" tank supplying more air for painting and other larger projects. The best part is you can buy the pig tank later. I currently own both the makita (doesn't produce that much air) and the rigid (produces more air but is very loud). For 500$ that would get you a used wheel barrow style that might be best, assuming you don't want an upright. Uprights generally are professional compressors that often run on 220 power and produce all the air you could ever want (down side is cost and 220 power supply). Not sure if any of this helps. Pm me if you want more info.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
...Your thread made me investigate this specifically for you when I was in there

http://www.hitachipowertools.ca/en/P...cat=34&pid=238
Glad I could help

Great suggestions. Thanks! In regards to Craftsman, I have to agree that quality seems to be on a decline. At the very least, serviceability of some tools ( I'm thinking of a ratchet that locked up that could not be replaced with a like item, as the closest item was nowhere near the quality) has decreased.

We *do* have 220 in the garage (last owner was a welder, I think) so power supply is not an issue.. and might actually be the way to go.

Might have to do a Lowes run.. Waldos is a good suggestion but I'm not in Calgary, sadly.