Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Banned

Default Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Shot a large snowshoe once under a deck. Perfect shot to the vitals and it died instantly. Slingshots are fun when you become semi proficient
I strongly disagree with this statement. Nothing dies instantly when gut shot.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Where did you get gut shot? I read vitals in what was written.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Who said gut shot.....agree punch them through the boiler room and all is over...

Slingshots kept me out of other mischief as a young lad.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 AM

I keep one in my holiday trailer for those campground squirrels that are insistent on getting into your food.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:44 AM
Banned

Define 'vitals' please.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Define 'vitals' please.

those bodily organs that are essential to life, as the brain, heart, liver, lungs, and stomach.

Oh yeah and beer too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 AM

I bought my "pocket rocket" when I was about 8/9 years old, I remember saving the money and it cost me 8 bucks. That was a princely fortune over 40 years ago and the price hasn't changed much in all these years. I still have it and i pull it out every now and then to plink cans and shoot them out of the air. They surely do work for bunnies and grouse.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM

Slingshots are a big deal in many countries all over the world. Lots of competitions around. There are numerous forums devoted to slingshotting and competing. Hardly a lost art anymore. Very big in Japan and England.

I have 5 slingshots all banded differently to handle different ammo. Several i shoot .177 bb's with. Ive gotten 378 fps. over a Chrony with them.

My favourite one designed forv larger ammo is from a company in Texas called Pocket Predator. The model i have is the Hathcock Target Sniper. Its banded up for 5/8 marbles right now.

10 years ago i could shoot a 1 inch group at 10 meters. Now in my old age complete with a little bit of the shakes and not seeing as good anymore im shooting 2 to 3 inch groups at 10 meters with the odd ahem umm stray lol. 10 meters is the accepted distance around the world for most target competitions. Great fun.

I cut my own bands at different lengths and widths from exercise bands called Theraband Gold. You can attain different speeds and distances by the length of your bands per draw distance and weight of your ammo etc.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I bought my "pocket rocket" when I was about 8/9 years old, I remember saving the money and it cost me 8 bucks. That was a princely fortune over 40 years ago and the price hasn't changed much in all these years. I still have it and i pull it out every now and then to plink cans and shoot them out of the air. They surely do work for bunnies and grouse.

Thanks CC for bringing this back on track. For an entry or two I thought this innocent topic would become a rant....

For the rest of the entries, that is exactly what I wanted to read....please keep your stories coming.
Thanks....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
Thanks CC for bringing this back on track. For an entry or two I thought this innocent topic would become a rant....

For the rest of the entries, that is exactly what I wanted to read....please keep your stories coming.
Thanks....
Ya, the chest thumping about "vitals" on a rabbit ...give me a break.

I've only killed one rabbit with the slingshot, and I don't know where I hit it but it died.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Just bought one for my 5 year old son this summer, figured its a good way to introduce him to shooting sports. Needless to say, I've had more fun with it than he has.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM
Gone Hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

Nuff Said!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Depends how good your aim is. 3 ft lower than the rump Just make sure the moose is pointed where you want him to go, because he won't likely stop once stung.

Many years ago someone I know got chased over an electric fence by a bull (bovine). The bull was rather satisfied with himself and turned away, and got a marble in the junk. I believe he's still running.
Still laughing my a** off 10 min later. Sounds like a challenge only worry is I think that would probably fall under the harassment of wildlife.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:18 PM

Me and buddy were around 12 and found a bunch of mallards in a pond close to the house. Snuck up and he let a rock fly. Curled around whacked one right in the head. Stone dead. We both took off running in a panic thinking we would be arrested by F&W. Could've tried that shot another 1000 times am never made it. They are a lot of fun.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ieWrWLjii0

This guy is amazing with his slingshot

V
Old 09-21-2017, 05:15 PM

If anybody in Edmonton wants a slingshot with the wrist brace, I've got one sitting in my garage they can have. I found it laying on the road a couple of years ago. I shot some rocks down the alley and its sat on a shelf ever since.
Just let me know you want it and it's yours.
I bought one of those "Black Widow" slingshots from Woolco when I was a kid. I think it was about $20 in 1980. No small change for a 10 year old. Got into lots of trouble with that until I bought a BB gun and later some pellet guns.

May as well give it to someone or someone with a kid that can use it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Here my home made sling bow. Has a draw weight of 40 lbs. Managed to get a rabbit at 25 yards with an arrow. Loosen a screw and it also fire steel ball bearings.

Nice... where did you buy that?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhu22 View Post
Nice... where did you buy that?
hence the"home made" part in his post, I'm guessing he built it.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 AM

I once hit a crow in the head with a marble and killed it. The interesting part of the story was that it was about 100 yards away on my barn roof. There were 6 crows carousing and squawking on the barn and I stepped onto my porch with the wrist rocket and commenced to shooting marbles at them. It only took about 80 marbles to finally hit one. The first 79 marbles were just amusing the crows when they hit close by. Then the rest of the crows checked out their dead buddy laying on the ground and then flew away...never to come back for the whole summer.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 AM

I grew up shooting a wrist rocket. Used to go to the rifle range and dig out the bullets .
Sometimes an ice cream pail. Can't imagine how many 100's (1000's) of critters got killed. Got quite proficient at shooting pigeons on the wing.
Shot phesants,huns,killdeer,doves ,gulls and even a few mallards in flight.
Took a nasty pelican with a head shot. He was crapping on grandpa's deck/boat and Gramps gave me the green light. Think he even gave me a quarter?
Cottontails, squirrels feral cats buy the 100's.
Good times and memories from 40years ago
Old 09-23-2017, 09:26 AM

When I was a kid , the gang of larger bullies showed up on our street with rocks to throw at us. 6 of us showed up with wrist-rockets and hard rubber balls .

Waited for them to throw first after a lot of swearing then we pulled ours out and let 'em have it.

I've been using slingshots for all my life. They are a blast !
Try to find " therma-band" gold rubber. Beats surgical tubing.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:51 AM

When we were out fishing last week in LA you could hardly get a bait in the water for all the sealions. They would leave the head on the hook, bite the body off. Smart buggers.
Slingshots are widely used there for bait control. They use steel balls that hit with a good smack but don't break the skin. They are Smart, they learn quickly.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-23-2017, 10:18 AM

Drove a cow moose off the shrubs a coupla years ago with a ss. About 3 marbles off her skull plate did it for her. Carried a ss for decades. Always had one sheep hunting for blue grouse and Ptarmigan
Old 09-23-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwa View Post
When I was a kid , the gang of larger bullies showed up on our street with rocks to throw at us. 6 of us showed up with wrist-rockets and hard rubber balls .

Waited for them to throw first after a lot of swearing then we pulled ours out and let 'em have it.

I've been using slingshots for all my life. They are a blast !
Try to find " therma-band" gold rubber. Beats surgical tubing.
Its called Thera Band Gold or comes in various colors along with different strengths to go with colors. Thera is short for therapy. Only reason im correcting you is not to be smart ass but you may not find it if you call it what you spelled out is all. I got a roll of it from Flippinout Slinshots in the US. Bought a roll and keep it in the veggie drawer in fridge. Keep it in dark in plastic baggies with some desiccant thrown in. Last for ever almost stored that way. Get a self healing pad and a cutter which looks like a pizza cutter (forget the name of cutter). A good quality cutter can be bought at Lee Valley Tool and cut your own bands any size you like for speed and ammo size.You sometimes can find cheap cutters at WalMart but its imperative to cut very clean or bands dont last long.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:08 PM

Last year I put a weasel on the board, several gophers and 3 ruffies made table fare. Best part of the ruffy story was the same evening I got one with a rock my lad shot two with a 22. When he saw me with one and asked what I shot it with he figured I was lieing but when he inspected my bird he said,"Just had to upstage me didn't you".
Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Drove a cow moose off the shrubs a coupla years ago with a ss. About 3 marbles off her skull plate did it for her. Carried a ss for decades. Always had one sheep hunting for blue grouse and Ptarmigan

I have heard of bow hunters hunters using a slingshot. When stalking a bedded deer and it won't rise, the hunter will lob a couple pebbles/projectiles at them.

Not to hit then but to make them stand.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.