Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Tough indoor dog chew toys

This is Boe, destroyer of any toy given to him. He is only 7 months. Pretty much every kind of chew toy I gave him he managed to destroy. Tendons, trachea's, bones etc.

Looking for something that does not stink though. I made the mistake of giving him a hoof from the pet store and we spent a while trying to figure out where he took a dump in the house. It ended up being the hoof that stunk so bad

Looking for something that will last a bit longer than a day.

He does not chew household items so far which is great.

any ideas?

Old 11-09-2017, 12:22 PM

Antlers are the only thing my dog can't destroy in 10 min. And he loves them! But, find 'real' ones, not the boiled, bleached, light as air ones from the pet stores.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gande View Post
Antlers are the only thing my dog can't destroy in 10 min. And he loves them! But, find 'real' ones, not the boiled, bleached, light as air ones from the pet stores.
oh you mean the ones that are 50 bucks for 4" of antler lol

May have to see what sheds I can find
Old 11-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Banned

I’m going through something similar right now. However when my other dog was young and the indestructible dog toys (even the ones made out of recycled fire hose) couldn’t cut it, Kong’s seem to be the best. My oldest pup is now almost 10 and it’s only his second one. We only bought another one because the first one became to small as he grew up.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:33 PM

Yep, antlers. The marrow inside is dried so it doesn't make a mess in the house and they last months.

I've greatly increased my popularity by supplying shed antlers to non-hunters, especially the cute female ones. One does what one has to
Old 11-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Kong the black ones and nylabones are my go to for big chewers.A have a few nylabones that have outlasted the dog but that was not my big chewers,like anything your mileage may very.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gande View Post
x2

Plus I keep leg bones from deer and bear, cook them a bit so that the meat isn't raw (just to avoid worms and stink in the house if he doesn't eat the meat the same day)
Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM

Sheds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Default He looks like a bad one to me!

My dogs can chew more than alligators, and the only rub with the antlers is that they drop them on the floor to get my attention. The large kong balls last the longest, and when we go for walks they are finding moose legs and they look pretty tough (they don't come home)

Let us know how this works out.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Chew

My Rotti used to chew up Black Kongs in no time. I bought a large Blue one with the little knobs on it, and it lasted through two dogs now.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Same thing with our 2 goldens. Ages 2 and 1. We give them antlers and gogi tree pieces. I think they're also known as gorrila chews. We also have a kong and they love chuck-it balls.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 PM

I used to have a Golden who would go through anything and everything (just in a matter toys and treat that I gave him - nothing of mine) of hours.

I finally found one that would last for weeks. It looks like a nylabone but I think it is called "Galileo". They are quite durable and he loved it.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here