Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 PM

Default 2013/2014 Utikuma regs

Even though i threw in the towel on Utik this year, i was hoping to hit it for some last ice in april. I guess nobody can now, as the new reg's now have it closed Mar 31st. Also a walleye reduction to 1 walleye.

Not sure what your thought's are, but this lake has been known for frequent winter kills and always come's back to a good fishery. Also no change's to the pike reg's which in my opinion are way over-populated and really seem to be taking over in the last few years...

Over the years, i have met people there from all over alberta. It took the pressure off of alot of lakes. Don't think many people will do the drive for 1 walleye now...

Pretty sad....
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM

If your that hungry, hit a&w on your way back.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
If your that hungry, hit a&w on your way back.
Awesome post...thanks for that
Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Utikuma,Walleye reductions and netting.

About a months ago I ran into a couple of native gentlemen at the Petro in Slave Lake. When I was fueling up, I noticed a 1/2 ton across from me, it had its entire box full of bagged fish. I walked over to have a look, every bag had two head, tailed and gutted fresh walleye in each bag.

Just then the two native gentlemen arrived at their truck. I said "wow thats a lot of walleye" and one of them said yeah over 800. Then the other asked if I would like to buy some for "CASH". I said no thank you, but I did ask where they had got the walleye and one said "netted em outta Utikuma".

I don't fish Utikuma, but I would be some "POed" if I did. And it is probably happening at other lakes that have 0 or minimun catch limits.

No sure if this what subsitance fishing looks like, but it looked to me (imho) more like commercial fishing and if this is commercial fishing, why are they allowed to rape lakes. As recreational fisherpeople, we send ten time as much money as commercial enterprises, there are 10000 times as many rec. fishers as there are comm fishers, we support more working people. Commercial fishing this needs to stop, and put limits on subsitance fishing.

Sorry just my rant.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN12313 View Post
About a months ago I ran into a couple of native gentlemen at the Petro in Slave Lake. When I was fueling up, I noticed a 1/2 ton across from me, it had its entire box full of bagged fish. I walked over to have a look, every bag had two head, tailed and gutted fresh walleye in each bag.

Just then the two native gentlemen arrived at their truck. I said "wow thats a lot of walleye" and one of them said yeah over 800. Then the other asked if I would like to buy some for "CASH". I said no thank you, but I did ask where they had got the walleye and one said "netted em outta Utikuma".

I don't fish Utikuma, but I would be some "POed" if I did. And it is probably happening at other lakes that have 0 or minimun catch limits.

No sure if this what subsitance fishing looks like, but it looked to me (imho) more like commercial fishing and if this is commercial fishing, why are they allowed to rape lakes. As recreational fisherpeople, we send ten time as much money as commercial enterprises, there are 10000 times as many rec. fishers as there are comm fishers, we support more working people. Commercial fishing this needs to stop, and put limits on subsitance fishing.

Sorry just my rant.

They tried to sell you fish?I assume you immedietly took their plate number and phoned fish and wildlife?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:10 AM

Talked to a F&W officer years back when we were there. Said that there was not supposed to be any walleye in that lake at that time. Some how they got in threw a stream or the bucket brigade brought them in. My stand still holds, think that 1/2 the lakes or even all the lakes should be closed for a few years. Then opened for 1 or 2 and closed again. I think we have gone past the point of 1 or 2 catch limits will fix all. Close them and let mother nature do her thing.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
Even though i threw in the towel on Utik this year, i was hoping to hit it for some last ice in april. I guess nobody can now, as the new reg's now have it closed Mar 31st. Also a walleye reduction to 1 walleye.

Not sure what your thought's are, but this lake has been known for frequent winter kills and always come's back to a good fishery. Also no change's to the pike reg's which in my opinion are way over-populated and really seem to be taking over in the last few years...

Over the years, i have met people there from all over alberta. It took the pressure off of alot of lakes. Don't think many people will do the drive for 1 walleye now...

Pretty sad....
I think there will be alot of sad fisherman...utikama was great for april fishing trips.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Sorry just my rant.

Fish and meats were used for trade by natives for other sustenance items. Which is why some bands in BC can legally sell salmon to non natives. Also, a commercial fisherman pays more in tax on the fish he brings in and sells in a year then you spend on licenses in your lifetime. While Commercial fishing isn't a big part of our economy it is still a part of our economy and it should be practice in sustainable ways. However we live in an infinite growth paradigm within our economy. Sustainability doesn't mesh well with infinite growth.

Netting Utikima isn't nearly as bad as the fellows who have permits to net lakes for walleye that are under the tag system. There was a post earlier this winter about a guy in an SRD office getting a permit to net Pigeon Lake.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

wow, so many ignorant posts I dont even know where to begin. Therefore I wont.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
wow, so many ignorant posts I dont even know where to begin. Therefore I wont.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM

Default No plate

Moose; I was so "POed" and cursing under my breath as they left, forgot to get a plate number. After they were gone I was cursing myself for "not" get a plate number.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Moose; I was so "POed" and cursing under my breath as they left, forgot to get a plate number. After they were gone I was cursing myself for "not" get a plate number.
No one cares.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM

I know a 3 walleye limit is pretty much un-heard of in alberta, that has been the limit as far as i can remember on utik. It has been able to sustain it, in fact last year was probably the best fishing i've had in the last 20 yrs. No provincial park, no municipal boat launch, i'm not saying no one fishes it in summer but the pressure is minumal.

It's no secret that it has frequent winter kills, it really is unbeleivable how fast the lake comes back as far as size and quantity of fish, and when i read the reg's the first thing that came to mind was Vincent lake. For years people were asking to get Vincent opened up. It never did and one year had an almost complete winter kill. Alot of fish could of been taken and eased the pressure on a few other lakes.

Personally i would of liked to see the pike limit raised, in my opinion they are getting out of control.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM
Banned

Default utikima

because our dam goverment dosn't give a ****.as long as there is a doller to be made.