Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM

Default "off the wall idea" - floating the bow

Here is a bit off the wall idea - I always wanted to do it, but never did.

Wouldn't it be fun to float the bow river on a nice sunny day in a thick 8mm wetsuit with gloves/hood etc, fins, snorkel? Maybe take a cheap underwater cam and take some trout pics?

Just to see how it looks like below the waterline and whats swimming around there?

As I said, I have been "planning" this for a long time, but never did. Maybe this year. Would anyone have suggestions for a good entry/exit point?

Any comments?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Sounds like it would be an interesting idea. Be careful if you do try it though, there is a lot of junk / garbage in some places that could be a drowning hazard.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM

I've thought about it, but using drysuit and full scuba gear. With my wife in our canoe above.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 PM

20 years ago we did that from the train bridge near bowness to shouldice. was pretty fun but there were a number of places where it was easier to walk than to try to swim. we didn't run into any dangerous garbage but the rocks and depth fluctuations in current were enough to look out for. all in all, i think we were pretty lucky that nothing too terrible happened.

careful...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 PM

Sounds like a great idea. I have heard of people doing this in the salmon rivers and I know a guy that snorkels when the bull trout are running.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM

Hmmm,

Does sound interesting. You'd likely get some freakin' amazing shots and film too... I was thinking maybe go with someone who has a 12' or so inflatable with a drift sock. With a light tether to the boat and the drift sock, it should be enough to slow you and the boat down enough to get some great shots.

There are some incredible pools from 22X on down....

Cheers,

/Jman..
Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 AM
troller

We use to do it on the Red Deer river all the time, although, we were after lures caught up on rocks and branches. Went years without having to buy any LOL. Now that you mention the filming part of it, my curiosity is aroused again!!

Great idea!
Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 AM

I've thought about doing that in the upper reaches of the Athabasca River to see what's really in there for fish. I know they do float tours down the Campbell River when the salmon are running.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM

Default Did it

5 Yrs ago we launched 2 rafts and 4 kayaks. Hot Sunny day 3 MM Wet suit snorkel and fins... Launched under glenmore and took out at 22x. About 3.5 hrs total time. Water was low but fast. Never did see a trout or any fish. I musta spooked them. Stay away from sweepers on outside of corners. Wear a life jacket. People in boats had throwing lines etc. No big rapids on this section. You will be surprised how fast the bottom goes past your face. All in all a fun cool day. PS if you are bald wear something to cover your head.(bad sunburn).

Crash
Old 05-25-2009, 07:33 PM

used to do it years ago from Bowness Park to Parkdale, found all the hiding places and still remember a lot of them. all we did was a mask and an inner tube but that was a long time ago.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich