Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Viking rain gear for fishing?

Anyone use the Viking rain gear in a heavy down pour?

I found what looks to be a really nice suit for a good price but am wondering if it is 100% waterproof like they claim.

Any information is greatly appreciated. I am going to either get the viking suit or the bps pro qualifier bibs.

I can get the whole viking suit for the cost of just the pro qualifier bibs and the viking suit is 600D rip stop which I know is a very durable material.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 PM

I have a red and grey set from MWW and it is decent. The cut and fit is not great>consider going up one size than you are usually used to.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I have a red and grey set from MWW and it is decent. The cut and fit is not great>consider going up one size than you are usually used to.
Does it keep you dry or does the water seep through when the rain gets real bad?

What does MWW stand for?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Being from Vancouver and spending all day in the rain and trying several rain gear brands....I can tell you that nothing is 100% rainproof for more than 3-4hrs.
Unless something has been invented in the past few yrs that proves me wrong.
2 sets of clothing is the only thing that will keep you dry.
I wouldnt recommend spending top dollar on false advertised products
Old 03-22-2013, 11:12 PM

I have heard that the gore tex suits are completely waterproof but unfortunately I can't afford a full gore tex suit right now.

I can afford the gore tex bibs right now and use a nylon rain jacket that I already have or go with the Viking Thor 600D brown suit for the same price.

I am asking because I have tried a few other "waterproof" advertised suits and none of them have kept me dry. 2 years in a row now I have been completely soaked after a rainy day on the boat in a walleye tournament.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM

I have a Cabelas Pro Guide or something like that goretex jacket, I stood out in the rain wearing that and a pair of waders for a good 8hrs last year. Cold to the bone after that but dry. Polypropylene base and over layer, wasn't really cold till about the last two hours, funny that's about when the fish slowed down.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
Being from Vancouver and spending all day in the rain and trying several rain gear brands....I can tell you that nothing is 100% rainproof for more than 3-4hrs.
Unless something has been invented in the past few yrs that proves me wrong.
2 sets of clothing is the only thing that will keep you dry.
I wouldnt recommend spending top dollar on false advertised products
I can't comment on this specific brand - but I spent some good money on a high quality Helly Hansen rain suit and have been very happy with it. I'm convinced that you buy quality gear and it pays off.

The only complaint is, because it's rubberized and lined, it gets warm which could be good on those cooler days but sometimes a bit too warm for summer use on those days with intermittent rain and sun.

Keeps me dry as a bone and is very durable.

It was less than $200 ..... so not too bad.

http://www.basspro.com/Helly-Hansen-...SSSELL_PRODUCT

Looks like bass pro has it cheaper !!!!

Last edited by EZM; 03-22-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Sorry missed your reply, if you keep an eye on Cabelas US you can get goretex pretty reasonable in the bargain cave, my jacket was under a hundred.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I can't comment on this specific brand - but I spent some good money on a high quality Helly Hansen rain suit and have been very happy with it. I'm convinced that you buy quality gear and it pays off.

The only complaint is, because it's rubberized and lined, it gets warm which could be good on those cooler days but sometimes a bit too warm for summer use on those days with intermittent rain and sun.

Keeps me dry as a bone and is very durable.
I have looked into the helly hansen rubber suits also while doing some research but from what I can tell is that most people sweat enough to make themselves be soaked and cold in the crappy weather.

I have a carhartt rubber rain coat that is very similar to the HH gear but I didn't like it at all.

I almost pulled the trigger on a full set of HH gear last year but held off for some reason that I can't remember now and never did end up getting anything.

Have you been out in the cold rainy weather with the HH suit? I am just wondering how it does in that cold clamy type of weather.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Sorry missed your reply, if you keep an eye on Cabelas US you can get goretex pretty reasonable in the bargain cave, my jacket was under a hundred.
Ya I was looking at all the main sites for sales but there is nothing to be found in my size.

I wish I was really small or really big in size and I could get some smoking deals on gore tex.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Ya I was looking at all the main sites for sales but there is nothing to be found in my size.

I wish I was really small or really big in size and I could get some smoking deals on gore tex.
Just keep checking Cabelas, seems like something different in goretex comes up every couple of weeks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a Cabelas Pro Guide or something like that goretex jacket, I stood out in the rain wearing that and a pair of waders for a good 8hrs last year. Cold to the bone after that but dry. Polypropylene base and over layer, wasn't really cold till about the last two hours, funny that's about when the fish slowed down.
I've used gortex as well....still didnt last all day when hiking.

But as I said....maybe things are better made these days
Old 03-22-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I have looked into the helly hansen rubber suits also while doing some research but from what I can tell is that most people sweat enough to make themselves be soaked and cold in the crappy weather.

I have a carhartt rubber rain coat that is very similar to the HH gear but I didn't like it at all.

I almost pulled the trigger on a full set of HH gear last year but held off for some reason that I can't remember now and never did end up getting anything.

Have you been out in the cold rainy weather with the HH suit? I am just wondering how it does in that cold clamy type of weather.
Cold clammy weather is no problem - this stuff is warm - but .... because it does not breathe it gets warm on those not too cool days and you might sweat (which will make you cold).

I will tell you, out in the driving rain all day - it will keep you dry .....It's all a trade off really ....

I do have a semi-waterproof - lol - jacket that I use in the summer when it's just spitting and usually wear the helly bib underneath so I don't cook.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Cold clammy weather is no problem - this stuff is warm - but .... because it does not breathe it gets warm on those not too cool days and you might sweat (which will make you cold).

I will tell you, out in the driving rain all day - it will keep you dry .....It's all a trade off really ....

I do have a semi-waterproof - lol - jacket that I use in the summer when it's just spitting and usually wear the helly bib underneath so I don't cook.
Hmmm tough decision to make on what type of gear to get.

Rubber suit, 600 Denier Nylon suit, or Gore tex bibs.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned

Think of your activity and match the material to it.

Breathable vs unbreathable?????

And layered clothing is best for under it...but u prolly already know this
Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngiant View Post
I've used gortex as well....still didnt last all day when hiking.

But as I said....maybe things are better made these days
If you were hiking it might have been condensation, I don't care how many pores there are in gortex, it won't keep up with a sweating body.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2013, 11:36 PM

I got wet at Chin too. It appeared to come from my neck and run all the way down to the crotch. I am not sure that there is anything to prevent that. At least not that isn't gonna strangle you. I think a good noreaster hat(big brim all around and bigger in back might help. But your neck has to be tight to help keep water out. And a good bib coverall with long jacket to help keep water going down your back. I was using my Columbia goretex jacket and a pair of Remington bibs(I think). Will try to refine my gear a bit.

I have tried quite a few quality as well as low end stuff and it can be hard to stay dry.

The problem with boating rain gear is it is coming at you horizontally as well as vertically and that presents more problems. You really have to be "buttoned" down.

I might try BP's 100mph bib and jacket next
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you were hiking it might have been condensation, I don't care how many pores there are in gortex, it won't keep up with a sweating body.
It may have something to do with fact that it's gortex from 20yrs ago too LOL
Thats why I mention newer technology.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Does it keep you dry or does the water seep through when the rain gets real bad?

What does MWW stand for?
Mark's Work Warehouse. I think I have seen them at UFA as well.

Absolute downpour might leave you a little damp but they aren't bad for the money. Mine is actually a heavier one and pretty warm.

I have switched to the Hely Hanson olive green suit for real wet weather though. Very light and it is water proof. Well over a 100 buck though...
Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 PM

From what I can tell the Viking suit I am looking at is very similar to the Dakota waterproof gear from Marks but the Marks gear is only 300D and the Viking is 600D.

The Viking suit is also heat sealed seams and the Dakota suit is taped seams.

The Dakota suit is quite a bit more then the Viking suit and I am not to sure if taped or heat sealed seams are better. I am also not to sure what the difference is in 300D and 600D.

I do already have a HH stormsuit that I bought last year but I bought it from a private sale and when I got it home I found out that the jacket was the proper size but the bibs were way to big. I could always use that I guess if the weather gets real bad.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:42 AM

I have the Viking suit and have never had got wet. Have been on quads all day in the rain too but i do always wear layers. Just checked and the model is a TEmpest 11? I am happy with it. I bought it because it was available locally.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 AM

I've tried quite a few brands over the years.......best I have found so far is the Bare Kodiak jacket. A bit pricey at $300 plus. A lot of the guides in BC use these as well.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:55 AM

When it comes to rain gear like most things you get what you pay for...for years I wore so so cheap stuff you pick up at Canadian Tire and such, no good, last year I coughed up $500 for an Arcteryx, bone fricken dry!!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Default Viking Rain Suits

The top of the line one I used to own did not hold up during a fishing trip last summer. I was out during a heavy constant down pour and was completely soaked through after a couple of hours. In all fairness, my two friends were also soaked through with their gear. We had a two hour boat ride to get where we were going and had to stop and make a fire once we got there between a break in the rainstorm. Decided to head back to camp after warming up, got soaked some more and built another fire half way back as hypothermia was setting in. I donated it to the lodge as soon as I got back to camp. Those big black industrial garbage bags saved the trip. Later on that summer, I went on a trip to the west coast. The weather was so bad one day that the ocean fairies would not travel from Prince Rupert to the Queen Charlotte Islands but I was snug as a bug in the lodge supplied gear. It was custom made for the West Coast Resort group by a Canadian company called Ran Pro.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Viking Rain Suits

The proper name of the company is Ranpro and the GB SNAPPER safety gear is very similiar to West Coast Resorts gear if you decide to check them out.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:

I have the HH suit and can tell you if your outside in heavy rain that you will be ok the 1st couple of hours but you will sweat enough to become very uncomfortable and cold.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Frogg Toggs toad skinz suits?

I can get a pretty good deal on that suit also.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:25 PM

I have both and I would say they are both great.... For the purpose intended that is..... You'll probably be better off getting a good quality gotetex though unless u do a lot of fishing on the coast... But be careful what u select... Some of the cheeper china made gotetex like in bass pro is garbage but if your willing to pay you will be happy with what u get
Old 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM

I do alot of sledding and have alot of extra suits. the motorfist event outer shells are the way to go. they are water proof and breathable. I wouldnt have thought of it but when a buddy and i got caught in a crazy storm last year i lent them to him and he stayed dry. check it out.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:51 PM

What about military gore tex rain suits?

Has anyone had experience with them? I would think that they would be top of the line but I could be totally wrong.