Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Default Gas line anti freeze

With this drop in temperature Curious how many of us are using gas line anti freeze in our vehicles
Old 02-04-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintearthCounty View Post
With this drop in temperature Curious how many of us are using gas line anti freeze in our vehicles
I used to back 30 years ago but with the newer vehicles, never have for at least 15-20 years now....However, I felt the need to wash my van today and sliding doors are frozen...LOL...I do have a heated garage to dry out though
Old 02-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Most gas these days has ethanol already in the mix
Old 02-04-2019, 04:44 PM

I always carry some in my truck for frozen door locks or a road side emergency. I have a Cummins diesel in my ride so it gets a shot of Kleen Flo diesel fuel conditioner when things get bitter or if I fuel up at some out of the way place in the fall that might be still getting rid of summer fuel. D.H.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
<——— This. Save for some of the premium blends at certain stations most gas has ethanol already.

If a person still figures on using it, the 4L jugs are a wayyy better value than the 6 packs of tiny bottles. I’ve not had a fuel-related issue with a vehicle for decades, save for running dry a couple of times...

First year driving a diesel for me so I’ll see what that entails, seems fine so far.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
<——— This. Save for some of the premium blends at certain stations most gas has ethanol already.

If a person still figures on using it, the 4L jugs are a wayyy better value than the 6 packs of tiny bottles. I’ve not had a fuel-related issue with a vehicle for decades, save for running dry a couple of times...

First year driving a diesel for me so I’ll see what that entails, seems fine so far.
Running a diesel I would be using Howe’s Diesel Fuel conditioner.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM

Methanol or Methyl Hydrate (same stuff) and Ethanol is wood alcohol versus grain alcohol. They both have freeze points below -170, both mix completely with water and gasoline. If you use 5-10% ethanol gas you do not need to add gas line antifreeze, which is just Methanol.

For diesels, Alberta winter diesel will not gel at -50 but it never hurts to add some Lucas conditioner in these temperatures just for the added lubricity and extra de-waxing/pour point improvement.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-05-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
it never hurts to add some Lucas conditioner in these temperatures just for the added lubricity and extra de-waxing/pour point improvement.

Except the damn stuff won't pour out of the jug in -30.....
Old 02-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Except the damn stuff won't pour out of the jug in -30.....
You need to make sure you get the right version (10865). The anti-gel conditioner will pour to -70. Been a few years since I ran a diesel, there may well be much better options available now.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Default gas line antifreeze

Do not use methanol for gas line antifreeze, does not always blend well with gas. Just buy regular gas and it already has upto 10% gas line antifreeze/ethanol. Most gasline antifreeze, little bottles are isopropyl alcohol.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Cary a spare fuel filter. That's the first place you get waxed up.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 PM

Biggest thing I find is making sure the tank is always full! Don’t give water anywhere to condensate! I do still keep a bottle of heat in each of my vehicles just in case.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Do not use methanol for gas line antifreeze, does not always blend well with gas. Just buy regular gas and it already has upto 10% gas line antifreeze/ethanol. Most gasline antifreeze, little bottles are isopropyl alcohol.
I have used Methyl Hydrate since the 60's and never had water/ice issues with cars or sleds ,When I raced sleds we mixed 3 1/2 gal methyl to 1 gal of 160 octane AV gas for the track.
A gallon of Methyl is about the price of a 6 pack of little bottles of deicer.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM

Default methyl hydrate

Few years back one of the oil companies used methanol rather than ethanol to save some money. Many separation problems with water/cold and they quickly changed their error before they lost lots of sales.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Biggest thing I find is making sure the tank is always full! Don’t give water anywhere to condensate! I do still keep a bottle of heat in each of my vehicles just in case.
Best post on this thread
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I understood in Canada no ethanol is added. If the gas is refined in canada
Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 AM

My understanding is all gasoline in Canada has ethanol, it has research octane rating of 130 so great octane additive and no problems with gas line freezing in cold weather.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:19 AM

My understanding is all regular gas has 10% ethanol added and most premium has none.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I understood in Canada no ethanol is added. If the gas is refined in canada
Ethanol is a non-fossil fuel that is produced from a variety of agricultural crops such as sugarcane, corn and wheat. As of December 15, 2010, Canada’s Renewable Fuels Regulations require an average renewable fuel content of 5% in gasoline.*
How much ethanol is in regular gasoline?
Almost all regular gasoline now has some ethanol in it. Our Synergy™ gasoline currently contains up to 10%. Gasoline with 10% ethanol content is known as E10, and with 15% ethanol it’s known as E15. Ethanol flex fuel (formerly known as E85) has between 51% and 83% ethanol, with the remainder being gasoline. E15 is only appropriate for use in flex fuel vehicles or a very small percentage of the newest vehicles. Anything higher than E15 ethanol content is only appropriate in flex fuel vehicles. Refer to your owner’s manual to confirm your vehicle’s requirements.

From the ESSO website
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM

When I know we are going to get a cold snap -30 for afew days or more I will make sure I add a bottle of gas line antifreeze other than that if the temperature stays above -20 I don’t bother...
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM
Banned

40% Polar Ice Vodka works when it's -30 outside. This way you have no need to drive. Be sure to take fordtruckin's advice too, make sure the tank is always full.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Gas Line Antifreeze-Isn't that why I save the Heads from the start of every run off the still?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM

the other day I got the snowblower out and started clearing the driveway. It was about -25. the snowblower started up and ran good for about 15 minutes. Then it started to rev very high like it was lean. I shut it off and put about 1/3-1/2 bottle in the tank( I always run premium ). let it sit for a couple minutes. I then started it up and turned on the choke, it ran rich but at lower revs. after a minute or two I turned the choke off and it ran prefect again. I think with the cool air and blowing snow dust it froze up the carb some and the gasoline anti freeze cleaned it out. My take on this is that gasoline antifreeze can help get rig of any moisture in the tank before something like this happens. I like to add gasoline antifreeze when there is a good chance of condensation, when you go out and can`t see through your windows its time to had some to the tank. my $0.02.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
40% Polar Ice Vodka works when it's -30 outside. This way you have no need to drive. Be sure to take fordtruckin's advice too, make sure the tank is always full.
Lol ain't that the truth.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I pour a bottle in Sept/Oct.....and try to keep the fuel topped up. I never go below 1/2 a tank; not only for the condensation factor but also if I was ever being caught in a area of a collision and I have to sit for a period of time....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Running a diesel I would be using Howe’s Diesel Fuel conditioner.
The diesel was giving me some grief starting the last few days. I picked up some diesel conditioner and put it in when topping up the tank today. It has a factory diesel-fired heater & pump arrangement like a big rig but its a 3.0 L V6 in a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 4x4. I think the heater is an Eberspacher. Being able to warm it up without even starting it is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Cary a spare fuel filter. That's the first place you get waxed up.
I'll look into that, thanks.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 02-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM

At the beginning of this cold snap, I drove 10 minutes from work and parked outside the store and shut it off. Was inside for 15 minutes came out and started the truck. It started hard and was running really rough with a reduced engine power warning on the DIC. Had no power as I limped it over to the gas station to buy gas line antifreeze. Poured it in and limped it home two or three blocks with no power. Parked in the warm garage and let it sit 3 hours and started it and it still ran really rough and still no power with the same message. Shut it off and disconnected the battery. Hooked it up and it started and ran perfect and the code cleared. That was 2 weeks ago and no issues. Not 100% sure if gas line antifreeze helped or was another issue. I always fill up at 1/2 a tank aswell.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Won't hurt.....even with all the gas additives....one big gulp of condensation....yup.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...