Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-09-2018, 11:32 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default Random posts thread

I figured I would create this thread for something not worse creating its own thread for. Many times I had something I felt like posting but never did because I thought it was not thread worthy. Pretty sure many of you have encountered the same because there is a whole bunch of threads floating out there that should not have been created in the first place. So let's post things like that here from now on, unless you fine gents get this thread locked up

Does anyone know whatever happened to Okotokian? I have not seen him posting for a while. Same question goes for Redfrog.

Also, why was gitrdun banned? Was it because of his post in "fried owl" thread?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM
tri777's Avatar
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,032
Default

Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
They die every year but in their nymph state they can live up to 4 years depending on type in ponds rivers lakes etc, as in their adult phase they are one of the top predator insects second only to the water scorpion and probably equal to the hellgrammite, in water of course, in the air, them big blue darners reign supreme.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 AM
tri777's Avatar
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
They die every year but in their nymph state they can live up to 4 years depending on type in ponds rivers lakes etc, as in their adult phase they are one of the top predator insects second only to the water scorpion and probably equal to the hellgrammite, in water of course, in the air, them big blue darners reign supreme.
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2018, 05:50 AM
^v^Tinda wolf^v^ ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,134
Default

Looking forward to todayís driving lessons even though Iíve been driving for 30 years it doesnít hurt to put some training wheels back on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 AM
^v^Tinda wolf^v^ ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,134
Default

Todayís lesson, in order to stop for a red light you must apply the brake pedal with your foot and when you do that the motor vehicle will stop and the wheels will no longer turn. It may take a minute or two for the light to change green before you can apply the accelerator pedal in which case you put your foot on the pedal and slowly push it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2018, 11:34 AM
wildbill wildbill is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gods Country
Posts: 1,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
Well, thatís where they come from, is the water, they donít live in trees, they will crawl up a bull rush, rock, stick, etc. , protruding out the water, you will often see their empty nymph shell on these protruding objects, Iím sure there is the odd one (adult) that makes it through the winter. Iíve been observing their empty shells on the waters edge since I was a very young boy, and every year since then, mind you, I spend a lot of time fly fishing, have you actually observed the nymph in your dug out? I could take you to some ponds on my families land that are teaming with these. Try netting your dugout with a butterfly net, and see what you find!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Cool stuff about dragonflies.

So, no one knows what happened to Okotokian and Redfrog?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Parker Hale's Avatar
Parker Hale Parker Hale is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Back in the Kootenays!
Posts: 627
Default Emerging dragon fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
What is perplexing to me is if they die every year, how is it possible that that in early june they are already 4" and flying about?..i study my dugout thouroughly each spring-summer day when on my daily dog walks & i
"have never" once seen a mature dragon fly crawl out of the water..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLRU8L3bpEE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2018, 10:54 PM
jstubbs jstubbs is offline
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Parkland County
Posts: 2,275
Default

Camping: tent, trailer, or otherwise. What's everyone's pick? Been tenting, kind of want to get into a trailer, but not sure it would be worth the overall hassle of one. No kids or fam, just my buddies and I. Tenting has so many advantages but can't help but think a nice little trailer would be awesome for camping for periods longer than 3 days.
__________________
And unlike the clock on the wall at your momma house, I do not have time to hang.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-05-2021, 02:45 AM
Fily Clark Fily Clark is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Where are the big 4" dragon flies hiding right now?..in the bark of trees..?
...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2021, 04:53 PM
urban rednek's Avatar
urban rednek urban rednek is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,166
Wink dominoes with a forklift

This is the craziest forklift fail video I've seen so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRDNF1trc1E

aka, what happens when you choose a racking system based on capital cost alone.
__________________
ďOne of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.Ē - Thomas Sowell

ďWe seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.Ē- Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2021, 11:10 AM
urban rednek's Avatar
urban rednek urban rednek is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3,166
Exclamation Things went sideways in a hurry.

Parasailing in Puerto Vallarta in 3 gifs.
All things considered, it ends reasonably well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/w6ba0Uy
__________________
ďOne of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.Ē - Thomas Sowell

ďWe seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.Ē- Thomas Sowell
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-06-2021, 11:20 AM
colvert's Avatar
colvert colvert is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 280
Default

I'll be scared too!
https://globalnews.ca/news/8091129/e...sumo-wrestler/
Wonder how it looks on the other side...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:02 PM
Fish along's Avatar
Fish along Fish along is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Camrose county
Posts: 3,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
I figured I would create this thread for something not worse creating its own thread for. Many times I had something I felt like posting but never did because I thought it was not thread worthy. Pretty sure many of you have encountered the same because there is a whole bunch of threads floating out there that should not have been created in the first place. So let's post things like that here from now on, unless you fine gents get this thread locked up

Does anyone know whatever happened to Okotokian? I have not seen him posting for a while. Same question goes for Redfrog.

Also, why was gitrdun banned? Was it because of his post in "fried owl" thread?
I'm pretty sure I seen a post by Redfrog in the past few days not sure about Okotokian though.
__________________
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:12 PM
fishnguy fishnguy is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 3,047
Default

1
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:18 PM
omega50's Avatar
omega50 omega50 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,463
Default



Bad day to forget I needed something out of the truck
__________________
You're only as good as your last haircut
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM
tri777's Avatar
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,032
Default

I won $610 on Lotto 6/49 3week's ago...
no retailers want to actually pay it out though..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-11-2018, 04:34 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,666
Default

Is it just me or is the crazy guy from north Korea's sisters hot? The 10.5 on the crazy scale makes her dangerously appealing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Is it just me or is the crazy guy from north Korea's sisters hot? The 10.5 on the crazy scale makes her dangerously appealing.
Thought the same when I saw her pic today for the first time.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Habfan's Avatar
Habfan Habfan is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I won $610 on Lotto 6/49 3week's ago...
no retailers want to actually pay it out though..
Retailers get a % of $ paid out ! Only a idiot would deny paying you. All lottery retailers are required to pay up to a 1000 dollars. License to sell will be pulled if they donít.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Sitting in the vehicle now watching a bunch of elk walking out of the valley and feeding on someoneís bales. One has a body colour as light as her butt. Except for mane; mane is dark as usually. She is really sticking from the bunch. I have never seen an elk like this before. Wish I could take a photo, but they are a quarter away.

There is a gazillion of them, and still keep coming, but not a single bull. Where are the bulls?

Cool to hear them communicate.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2018, 06:52 PM
tri777's Avatar
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Retailers get a % of $ paid out ! Only a idiot would deny paying you. All lottery retailers are required to pay up to a 1000 dollars. License to sell will be pulled if they donít.
Thx!
All keep saying basically same thing: "don't have that amount on hand"
7-11
drug stores
gas stops..
..really don't want to have to mail it in to WCLC..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2018, 07:58 PM
tri777's Avatar
tri777 tri777 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,032
Default

Was this by Fort Road somewhere's?

owner said someone was trying to steal his truck..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG7muJdFrMg
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 PM
JD848 JD848 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,740
Default

They can credit your debit if they don't have cash,gov't casino's have lottery terminals in there gift shops just incase you win and fell a bit more lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-2018, 11:16 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Does anyone know what happened on the Peace River bridge today about an hour and a half ago? A whole bunch of emergency vehicles on the bridge and under it on the west side, the bridge appeared to be closed.

Hope no one got hurt too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-14-2018, 07:34 AM
Don_Parsons Don_Parsons is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,827
Default

Had a long day playing in the mud West of Bowden on a rig move.

Lots of time between loads being hualed, the warm weather rolled in.

I dug out the old recurve bow for some target shooting time.

Can't wait for spring. Brad from Bentley was sitting in the Bar,,, he said he didn't see his shadow. Guess this means 6 more weeks of winter. LOL

Don
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Does anyone know what happened on the Peace River bridge today about an hour and a half ago? A whole bunch of emergency vehicles on the bridge and under it on the west side, the bridge appeared to be closed.

Hope no one got hurt too bad.
Looks like people got hurt badly. One dead, a child in critical condition in the hospital. The driver of the semi had open beers and chit in the cabin with him (according to a friend of a first responder). I have words, but canít say them out loud.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 PM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Looks like people got hurt badly. One dead, a child in critical condition in the hospital. The driver of the semi had open beers and chit in the cabin with him (according to a friend of a first responder). I have words, but canít say them out loud.
Dunvegan bridge or in peace river? I have the same words as you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Bub Bub is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,392
Default

Peace River. Happened to to drive through a few minutes ago, they are loading whatís left of the semi now and it ainít much.

Edit: there havenít been official words about the alcohol involved for now, I donít think, so I will say it is a hearsay at this point.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.