Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Thumbs up Online Hunter Education Certification

Well, it's finally here. If you can't find a convenient hunter education course near you, you can now take the course and exam online.

For more information, go to the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association web site and click on the Education button in the lower right corner.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Outstanding!

Very Cool!!!!!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:50 PM

I have one of my 11 year olds that's chopin on the bit to get going, I just ran out of excuses. Got to love it!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Smile

I've Just Completed the On-line Course it was excellent much better than going to classes.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Default test on-line dumb idea

I can see the place for taking the Alberta Hunter Education Course on-line because of work schedules, the location of where you can take the course and you can study at your own speed, but the idea of being able to take the test on-line is idiotic. First words out of my wife's mouth were "great, now they can cheat." Those were also my first thoughts also. When I accompanied my son to the course, when he was twelve, if I remember right they handed out three different tests so if you cheated you may have copied from a different test then the one you were writing. I know we want to get hunters out there but shouldn't we want well taught hunters out there.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:01 AM
troller

Well I guess, when it comes to kids taking it, the parent should be there taking it with them, helping, like all mentoring it should come from the parents. If you let your kid cheat, well then you are letting both them and you down together.

This was not directly pointed out to you geezer..just my personal feelings on it.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I can see the place for taking the Alberta Hunter Education Course on-line because of work schedules, the location of where you can take the course and you can study at your own speed, but the idea of being able to take the test on-line is idiotic. First words out of my wife's mouth were "great, now they can cheat." Those were also my first thoughts also. When I accompanied my son to the course, when he was twelve, if I remember right they handed out three different tests so if you cheated you may have copied from a different test then the one you were writing. I know we want to get hunters out there but shouldn't we want well taught hunters out there.
What is the difference between people cheating online or people sitting in the classroom learning and then not following the rules when they leave. Alot of unethical hunters out there. All took the classroom exam. Just saying...

Old 05-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
in my opinion most of the test is common sense and if you have to cheat than maybe you shouldnt be hunting.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 PM

For me, I prefer going to class than taking the course online. You can get/learn some nice/good ideas from your instructors and classmates
Old 12-19-2014, 10:18 PM

Just curious of the parents that bought this for their kids…did you buy it under your account and does it give you an option before they write their test to enter their info or did you setup an account for them.
Thanks
S
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 PM

i just finsihed my first year hunting and got two whities but i would say that even thogh i took the lesson i think my dad (buck) will likely put my sister through
Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Banned

I just want to take the test and get my fac lic , l already have the pol ,already have guns , cant find any answers.
Also why should l have to take a course , l,ve been hunting and handling firearms for 55 years , and why should l pay 70 to a hundred bucks to sit down and write an exam with questions NOT pertaining to non resticted weapons , l will never own an ak47 nor a pistol , nor do l want one.
A straight simple exam pertaining to hunting and the weapons hunters use is what we need , and a fee of 25 bucks to cover the cost of the 2 dollar paper that its written on is all we should have to pay, its ridiculas.
Why should l be put in the same catagory as first time hunters.
Time to change this system.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Bud,

Don't confuse this course with the firearms course. They are different. This course has to do with hunting generally. Firearms are mentioned but you can't qualify for an FAC with it.

You do not have to take the firearms course. You can challenge the exam (at least last I heard, you could). Contact AHEIA for places and times to challenge the exam. And there is a separate exam for restricted vs. non-restricted firearms.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Bud,

Don't confuse this course with the firearms course. They are different. This course has to do with hunting generally. Firearms are mentioned but you can't qualify for an FAC with it.

You do not have to take the firearms course. You can challenge the exam (at least last I heard, you could). Contact AHEIA for places and times to challenge the exam. And there is a separate exam for restricted vs. non-restricted firearms.
ok , sounds good , thank you.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:22 PM

just Doing some thinking on all this
and I have a question for everyone
why not take the course and the test
whats it gonna hurt ?
what do you have to loose? Conservation and Hunter Education Training Program
$70.00

try it maybe we might learn something and test ourselves
let alone the new comers to the field??????????????????
I,m sure we all could use some refresher courses,
unless we think we are so good that we couldnt learn some thing new, never mind remember something we have forgoten about

This comprehensive, easy-to-use online hunter certification program covers important hunting topics, including;

Module 1 - Role of Hunter

Module 2 - Hunting Ethics

Module 3 - Wildlife Management &

Conservation

Module 4 - Wildlife Identification

Module 5 - Clothing & Equipment

Module 6 - Firearms

Module 7 - Bow Hunting

Module 8 - Survival

Module 9 - Field Techniques

Module 10 - First Aid

Module 11 - Hypothermia

Module 12 - Legal Responsibilities

Module 13 - Physical Fitness

Final Exam

This course is a Provincial requirement for all first time hunter’s in Alberta and as such complete certification is required with an 80% pass mark on the final exam. Certificates will be issued by mail upon successful completion of the program. This online course may be taken from any internet enabled computer and can be paused and returned to at any time

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-01-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Default Course Module's

Hello,

i was wondering if anyone know's how or where you get the Module's for the Online Hunter Education Certification? or do they be sent to you when you sign up for the Coures?

Thanks

Raphael Murphy
Fort McMurray,AB
Old 01-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Its all set up on the website, nothing gets downloaded to your computer. You sign in to your account and get workin.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up

Thank's Coltprins
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Default Online Hunter Education Certification

Oh, as for other cl*****, just keep checking parks and wildlife for listings. I have 3 yet to go this year besides the SCI deal. All are away from Houston though. One in Cleveland, one in Newton Co. and one over in Willis will be a bow hunter/hunter ed class. The cl***** are a minimun 2 day course unless you get a deferal or take the class online then take a skill trail/test class. Its all up to the volunteer instructor on the set up. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Ok I am new to the site and have been getting info on starting rifle hunting, however I have been bow hunting for years. I think that the hunter training course is great and remember taking it when I was 12 and had a blast. The online idea is good as long as many have said people are not cheating. But here is my problem with the course. I know a couple people now who have gone in to get there win number to start hunting and fishing and simpily jusst marked the box yes saying they have took the course and a couple weeks later bought the licenace and away they went. So I guess what im saying is if people are worried about cheaters maybe there should be a little more done to make sure the people who are saying they took it acctually have.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM

This sticky should be removed. This course is no longer available.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybob View Post
I don't know about that Kaybob.... ...My wife just completed it a couple of weeks ago and aced it....Her only complaint with doing it was how long you had to wait before you could go on and do the next module....She found that very slow and annoying.
Jim
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybob View Post
Looks available to me. Links are on the AHEIA web site.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:29 PM

From the 2010 regulations.

"Notice: As of 2010, the Alberta Hunter Competency Exam is no longer offered. Subject to any exceptions noted in this guide, first-time hunters (adult and youth) must successfully complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course."

I read from this that the online exam is no longer available. Maybe its just the challenge exam.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 AM

I completed this course earlier this week and have to say I agree with just about everything that has been posted about it. It is true that you can take the course in person and for free, at the AHEIA, but I just don't have the ability to parcel 2 evenings AND a whole weekend towards the course. I'm sure that a lot of other people are in the same situation and it is a fantastic thing that I was able to take it online and at my convenience. I too found that the minimum times needed for some modules is far too long, but at the same time I do understand that minimum time requirements must be met. As someone who has very little experience with wildlife and no experience hunting, I found the information very relevant and I learned tonnes of stuff. In no way do I believe that I am ready to hunt on my own, or that this course is a substitute for actual field experience, but I am very happy that I have met the legal requrements and have had some basic knowledge provided for me. As to the issue of cheating, if anybody does do that they are only cheating and ultimately messiong themselves up. When they shoot and kill the wrong species of animal they will wish that they hadn't cheated.

Oh and kaybob, all that is saying is as of 2010, a first time hunter has to take the actual course and then write the exam, and that just studying on your own and challenging the exam is no longer acceptable.

Niksa
Old 09-25-2010, 04:46 PM

how long doe it take for them to mail me the certificate ??
Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 AM

Online courses will have the cheaters just like the boating licence and no on-hands teaching does not promote good learning. I would believe in the online course if it had long answer type questions where the person taking the exam would have to know his course material to write the answers. Then the test might have some merit.
We need to keep our hunting heritage alive but cannot settle for such impersonal education to achieve this task.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Online courses will have the cheaters just like the boating licence and no on-hands teaching does not promote good learning. I would believe in the online course if it had long answer type questions where the person taking the exam would have to know his course material to write the answers. Then the test might have some merit.
We need to keep our hunting heritage alive but cannot settle for such impersonal education to achieve this task.
I agree 100% Red Bullets. I am a manager with an oil company in Northern Ab and you see all sorts of on line certification for critical things like ground disturbance,etc,etc. If you were to know the truth about how some individuals obtain this type of certification you'd shake your head and be very afraid!! This is no different.
Doesn't change my need to get my son his CORE though.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:47 PM

I mOved here from Ontario where I took a hunter education course and was issued my outdoors card maybe 15 years ago or so.

When I came to Alberta about three years ago I applied for my win card at Canadian tire and was granted it based on the fact that I had my pntario outdoors card.

Did I do everything on the up and up? Is there any specific Alberta information that it would be worth taking this course online for?
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Post Hunter from Ontario, now an Alberta resident: does my Ont hunter safety course carry over provincially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
Well, it's finally here. If you can't find a convenient hunter education course near you, you can now take the course and exam online.

For more information, go to the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association web site and click on the Education button in the lower right corner.
Hello all, My name is Dan and I just recently moved to Edmonton from Ontario. I have been hunting in Ontario for many years and have the Ontario Hunter Safety Education course under my belt, and I have many friends here who keep telling me that my Ontario course transfers over to Alberta, which exempts me from having to take the Alberta course.... is this true? I went to Cabelas over a month ago to register my WIN ID and purchase a sportsfishing licence, and upon filling out the papers, it asked whether I had a hunting course from another province, and so I checked "yes" before handing the papers back into the cashier. Does this mean I can buy a whitetail hunting licence this fall, or is there still something I have to do before I can get my tags/licences?

Any advice would help an aweful lot, thanks

Dan Crook