Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 11:05 AM

Default 2024 GMC 1500 Diesel

How is everyone liking their 2024 GMC/CHEV Diesels?
Old 04-17-2024, 12:58 PM

Who can afford one?
Old 04-17-2024, 01:11 PM

Well up until Trudeau taxed them into extinction, the rich people.

Drewski
Old 04-17-2024, 04:43 PM

I’ve been keeping my eye on these also…

So far from all I have heard has been really positive. The only thing I heard was one guy upgraded as he was hauling heavy loads and needed a bigger truck.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:19 PM

Nephew has had one for about a year and a half now, loves it, great on fuel, runs around 9 lt / 100 and he say's it pulls like a 5.3 gas job ???? mind you he had not pulled anything over 4,000#

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 04-18-2024, 01:12 PM

Only issue I can see, is the timing belt that is at the rear of engine, and is covered in engine oil all the time, not sure what engineer thought this was a good idea.
You have to pull the cab, and transmission and back end of engine off to change the belt.
And as we all know belts don't last for ever.
Also, what is wrong with timing gears? They are ment to be in oil all the time, belts are not.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:11 PM

also to add is oil pump is belt driven, located at rear of engine
Old 04-18-2024, 03:13 PM

Buddy just bought a new v8 gas GMC 1500 says 12 L in city and 9 L/100 hyw
He is very happy with it, as gas is cheeper than diesel and you can find gas at every gas station .. No diesel at Costco either .
So why would you want to buy a diesel 1/2 in the first place ?
Old 04-18-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Buddy just bought a new v8 gas GMC 1500 says 12 L in city and 9 L/100 hyw
He is very happy with it, as gas is cheeper than diesel and you can find gas at every gas station .. No diesel at Costco either .
So why would you want to buy a diesel 1/2 in the first place ?
cause you're buddy is not getting 9 on the highway although he may believe he is ,prolly closer to 10 in ideal conditions. this I know to be true. Diesel has significantly more low end torque which is a big towing advantage, diesel is priced higher than gas however the difference is rarely 10% and you are going to get at minimum 10% better mileage making it cost effective.1000k on a tank on the highway not a problem. the oil pump belt recomended inspection interval is 320,000 kilometers and thats going to be somebody elses problem. lovin my baby diesel
Old 04-18-2024, 04:50 PM

I have had mine since November, have around 6300 KM on it now. On highway trips I get around 7.8L/ 100KM averaging just over 100KPH. Daily commute of 15km each way I average around 9L/100KM, that includes warm up & winter diesel. No issues as far as power goes, passing is no problem & towing shouldn't be an problem as it has 100FT/LBS more than the 5.3L at a way more usable(lower) RPM.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:26 PM
AO Sponsor

I have the 2022 Silverado Trailboss diesel and have 53,xxx km on it now and love it too. Highway from Penticton to Calgary crossing all the mountain passes keeping things within 10km of the speed limit I have multiple times gotten 8.0L/100km. Towing an early 80's Mercedes 380SL on a heavy duty car trailer from Vernon to Calgary through the passes and I averaged 12.6L/100km. City and highway combined from day one until today I am 10.1L/100KM total average.

I fill the DEF fluid at UFA once maybe every 5 or 6 tanks of fuel and it takes under $20 every time.

Nothing to sneeze at...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-18-2024, 09:53 PM

My '22 has 46k on it and is up for sale. It's a nice truck, but I never got anywhere near the mileage others rave about (4" lift and the lightest 33" AT tires I could find). It struggles mightily with any additional load and has a tiny fuel tank. I went up to Baker's Narrows Lodge a couple of weeks ago and couldn't even make it from Prince Albert to Flin Flon on a tank towing a 4,000lb trailer. I was fed up with the range anxiety after the first season I owned it and ordered a H.O. PowerStroke F-350 to replace it.

I still get asked about it a lot. I tell people it's a good truck for people that think they need a truck, but really probably don't. In a half ton truck I'd agree gas is a better bet given current fuel prices and the fact the 3.0 doesn't like working anyways (I got 8 mpg towing the trailer back from Flin Flon to Grande Prairie into a strong headwind). I did buy my wife a 2024 Tahoe with the 3.0 Duramax. I think it makes more sense in that application, although I often wonder if I should have just went gas. If you want a diesel because you need to tow, get a real diesel. Sorry to rain on the parade.

Last edited by AlbertanGP; 04-18-2024 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:14 AM

AlbertanGP, sounds like your situation is an exception not the norm.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:26 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
Well I think I would agree with him if you were buying a half ton diesel but working it like you should have a 1 ton diesel... This isn't a truck made for regular heavy duty work. it is more the truck for someone who uses their half ton truck like a half ton truck that occasionally needs to crossover some towing services here and there.

Like anything, it is about getting the right tool for the job. Trying to make a crescent wrench work for heavy duty equipment mechanics main tool is never a good idea.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 04-19-2024, 10:00 AM

Tire Bob,

EXCEPT IF IT IS A BROWNING BLR LIGHTNING IN 7 MM Rem Mag. Then you have achieved heaven on earth.

(but hey! Even God knows that!)

Drewski
Old 04-19-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
Maybe. Then again, I look to be the only one who took the time to hand-calculate the fuel economy of the truck. My truck may be an anomaly, but its the most reliable real world info you're going to see on the truck.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Well I think I would agree with him if you were buying a half ton diesel but working it like you should have a 1 ton diesel... This isn't a truck made for regular heavy duty work. it is more the truck for someone who uses their half ton truck like a half ton truck that occasionally needs to crossover some towing services here and there.

Like anything, it is about getting the right tool for the job. Trying to make a crescent wrench work for heavy duty equipment mechanics main tool is never a good idea.
You shouldn't need a HD truck to pull a 4000lb trailer...3812lbs actually...I weighed it on certified scales. It is a very tall enclosed trailer to haul my lifted & tracked Ranger around. The wind resistance kills it more than the weight.

The truck is rated to tow just under 10,000lbs. I have a $1,700 AirLift Wireless One air bag system on it as well as these trucks are known to squat bad with light loads. But if you look at the fuel records, you'll see the truck sat most of last summer. I got so fed up with it that I pulled my LB7 Duramax Dually out anytime there was any work to do.

Again, it's a car with a box on the back. If you're "someone who uses their half ton truck like a half ton truck that occasionally needs to crossover some towing services here and there" don't waste your money on the 3.0 Duramax. Buy a gasser and save some money. My 6.2 Sierra tows easily as good as my 3.0 Duramax...it just makes more noise when under load. If you're trying to justify the 3.0 Duramax for towing, then you should be getting a proper HD anyways. YMMV
Old 04-19-2024, 11:46 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Maybe. Then again, I look to be the only one who took the time to hand-calculate the fuel economy of the truck. My truck may be an anomaly, but its the most reliable real world info you're going to see on the truck.
I did on mine both and compared... It is accurate, but again there are a lot of variables one can't account for. Weight being towed, shape of trailer (land sail versus open steel car trailer), headwind versus no headwind (mentioned), driving style (faster drivers versus slower drivers, frequent on the gas on the brakes versus consistent tow speed, etc), vehicle modifications (my dead stock truck with very light standard load 18 inch tires versus your lifted truck with possibly heavier larger wheels and tires, etc etc...

I do agree with you on what you are saying, but I also agree with what others (and myself) are saying. Like everything, the "it depends" statement is always a consideration.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-19-2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
You shouldn't need a HD truck to pull a 4000lb trailer...3812lbs actually...I weighed it on certified scales. It is a very tall enclosed trailer to haul my lifted & tracked Ranger around. The wind resistance kills it more than the weight.

The truck is rated to tow just under 10,000lbs. I have a $1,700 AirLift Wireless One air bag system on it as well as these trucks are known to squat bad with light loads. But if you look at the fuel records, you'll see the truck sat most of last summer. I got so fed up with it that I pulled my LB7 Duramax Dually out anytime there was any work to do.

Again, it's a car with a box on the back. If you're "someone who uses their half ton truck like a half ton truck that occasionally needs to crossover some towing services here and there" don't waste your money on the 3.0 Duramax. Buy a gasser and save some money. My 6.2 Sierra tows easily as good as my 3.0 Duramax...it just makes more noise when under load. If you're trying to justify the 3.0 Duramax for towing, then you should be getting a proper HD anyways. YMMV
I have a 2016 6.0 HD2500. Last summer I pulled my 34ft 5th wheel from Edmonton to Campbell River and back. First time pulling with the truck, and I was meticulous in maintaining posted speed up to 100km/hr. I avoided the Coquihalla my round trip average including 10 days of running around the Comox, Campbell river area without the trailer. I averaged 11.025 miles per imperial gallon. I was pretty impressed with that out of a gas engine my gross weight with the trailer was 16,787 pounds.

BW
Old 04-19-2024, 11:57 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Tire Bob,

EXCEPT IF IT IS A BROWNING BLR LIGHTNING IN 7 MM Rem Mag. Then you have achieved heaven on earth.

(but hey! Even God knows that!)

Drewski
Blasphemer!!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 04-19-2024, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I did on mine both and compared... It is accurate, but again there are a lot of variables one can't account for. Weight being towed, shape of trailer (land sail versus open steel car trailer), headwind versus no headwind (mentioned), driving style (faster drivers versus slower drivers, frequent on the gas on the brakes versus consistent tow speed, etc), vehicle modifications (my dead stock truck with very light standard load 18 inch tires versus your lifted truck with possibly heavier larger wheels and tires, etc etc...

I do agree with you on what you are saying, but I also agree with what others (and myself) are saying. Like everything, the "it depends" statement is always a consideration.
Yeah that's my point....the baby Duramax doesn't like any variables. If you run it on the light factory equipped tires and don't push it, you'll get some great numbers. But as soon as you put the spurs to it you'll go through diesel in a hurry and DEF even worse (DEF consumption is a known issue with this motor...and ever other modern diesel )

My truck is only two inches taller than a TrailBoss/AT4, I shopped diligently for my tires before selecting Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 275/60R20 tires at only 47lbs each (2/3's of my mileage is on Blizzaks that are even closer to factory weights), and most of my towing was at 5kph below the speed limit on remote roads in the winter, but also routinely in -30 temps as the unit was more or less purpose-bought to haul my ice fishing kit around in the winter. So I think I did my due diligence when I bought and equipped my truck expecting to get great fuel economy. The truck let me down severely in that regard, so I don't mind being the voice of negativity while others gush...I have 46,000km of experience using it as a truck and it couldn't hack it IMO. So I said $%^& it, bought the baddest HD truck on the market currently, stuffed a 60 gallon S&B tank under it so I could drive from Grande Prairie all the way to Flin Flon on a tank, and didn't look back. I'll buy a GM HD if they bring out the rumored 8.3l Duramax, but no more half-tons for me.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I have a 2016 6.0 HD2500. Last summer I pulled my 34ft 5th wheel from Edmonton to Campbell River and back. First time pulling with the truck, and I was meticulous in maintaining posted speed up to 100km/hr. I avoided the Coquihalla my round trip average including 10 days of running around the Comox, Campbell river area without the trailer. I averaged 11.025 miles per imperial gallon. I was pretty impressed with that out of a gas engine my gross weight with the trailer was 16,787 pounds.

BW
The 6.0 is a gamer. I know of lots of similar reports from other owners.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:07 AM

The light-duty diesels are becoming irrelevant with the performance of modern direct injection turbo gas engines. They're getting similar mileage and have lower fuel costs. Plus none of the added complexities of a diesel.

That said, I'm sure the mileage when towing would be better with a small diesel.

In my opinion the options are a heavy duty diesel ¾ ton or turbo gas ½ ton. Everything else is getting left behind.