Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-11-2022, 09:34 AM

Yesterday was a cold and windy day, so spent a lot of it in my cave.

Necked up 80 300 Wby cases to fit my 340. Loaded up some 210 TTSX for accuracy testing.

Loaded up a mess of 44 magnum 240 jacketed bullets with Lil Gun powder. Last week this powder got me over 1800 fps out of my 20" Marlin 1894, and is also usable in my S&W 629.

Then worked on the aforementioned Marlin...sanded the inside of the barrel band to allow the magazine tube to float just a tiny bit, then cold blued it. Then followed the Marauder cowboy action shooting directions for slicking up the action and honed the sear to get a crisp no creep 3 lbs pull. The sear took a few tries...perfect now. It is easy to get too light! The gun is now much easier to cycle.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:28 AM

Was out at the range on Saturday for a quick trip to verify seating depth loads in the 6.5 PRC with 2 different bullet weights.

3 shot groups. Going to start to go distance and use 5 shot groups.

Tighter group with 156 gr berger EOL sitting on N568 with cci 250 primers.

The other group is the 124 gr hammer hunters with the same powder, just a bit more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0708.jpg (62.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0709.jpg (63.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 05-22-2022, 02:38 PM

Time to load some precision .223rem with 80gr Berger VLD’s.

Annealing first.

Nice colouration (oxidation).

Full length sizing to .0005” of fire formed with a .001” shoulder bump. Chambers just like a hot knife through butter.

Now to charge with powder. In this load, 23.8gr of Varget. And yes, I did prime the cases.

Now to seat that very nice Berger bullet with .002” neck tension. Each exactly the same with a .010” jump to the lands.

And the results, if I do my part and Mother Nature cooperates, is a nice group at a kilometre. Yes, that is 1000 metres.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:48 PM

Loaded 35 test rounds of 6.5X284 with 7 different brands of primers and off to the range. CCI 250's win again.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-22-2022, 05:12 PM

prepped and loaded [over the last few days] 110 rounds 6 Dasher in Alpha brass and 50 in Lapua 6BR Norma that is Hydro formed.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 AM

Getting ready to load some .223 75 grain VLD's for my RPA, and help prep some 308's with my son for his 155 Chinchagas!
Cat
Old 05-23-2022, 11:20 PM

Things are looking up here, wind finally died a bit. Got to try out some loads in the TAC A1 in 6.5cm, Ruger #1 in 7-08 and some S&B Canada Match 22LR ammo in the CZ 457 AT-One.
TAC A1 is looking good w/RL16 and 136gr Scenar L, just ran pressure test, didn't chrono, got some decent looking groups with it, found a charge zone to play in for sure. Ran 39-42.0gr, F210GM. May just have run into an easy load workup for that one.

The #1 in 7-08 may take a bit more work, krappy batch of new Rem brass that will likely all wind up being trimmed to .020 short, even had one that was too short on the datum length, haven't seen that in a long time, would touch the primer, that was about it, reseat it a bit longer and see if I can get it to go bang next time out. Appears the #1 may be prone to stringing shots vertical as the barrel heats too, play with it some more and see what happens next time out.

And I got a gate code for Drum today, which will save some fuel. Along with a email that my 184 Evo RWS bullets are in at CSC for the 30R

S&B Canada Match seems OK with 10 shot grps at 50. Holding MOA with about 5-10k winds and no flags. Haven't touched trigger yet either

Last edited by 32-40win; 05-23-2022 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Was out at the range on Saturday for a quick trip to verify seating depth loads in the 6.5 PRC with 2 different bullet weights.

3 shot groups. Going to start to go distance and use 5 shot groups.

Tighter group with 156 gr berger EOL sitting on N568 with cci 250 primers.

The other group is the 124 gr hammer hunters with the same powder, just a bit more.
And I thought I was doing good with my 5/8" groups today with my 96 mauser and 156 gr ppu bullets on top of H4831, 2625fps.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:32 PM

Once fired pick-ups are a gold mine! Here’s the finished product….

Medium-short fatties….6.5CM
Old 05-25-2022, 10:31 PM

I spent the afternoon sorting through various 308 boxes looking for random loaded cartridges and trying them in my model70 Palma rifle . If they fit great- if they didn't chamber I pulled the bullet, resized the case then loaded it again.
Ended up with 100 extra rounds to shoot and reload !
Cat
Old 05-29-2022, 09:42 PM

More 6.5CM prep…

Before sizing in a SAAMI spec case gauge:

After sizing:

And a quick measure shows a shoulder bump of .001” from fire formed size:

These are range pick-up brass. So my attention to detail is not like the match rounds with Lapua cases. Still, I like to be consistent and keep the measured processes down to a .0015” margin of error. Mostly because of the differing head stamped cases.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 PM

Tumbled 50 once fired 6.5CM cases for the TAC A1, deprimed, neck bumped to suit .262 turning spindle and neck turned to .013, resized .002 smaller, they bounced back to .263, trimmed and chamfered. Have to decide how long I want to seat them and what seating length zone to try this time.
I still have pressure test loads for the TAC A1 w/h4350 and the 136 Scenar to shoot off.
Did 20 once fired 7-08 cases, no turning involved, weren't as short as I thought, only .010 overall, set trimmer at 2.023. Added in 30 new cases, just neck sized those. see what happens in comparison, two different lots of the same Rem brass, one old, one new, 30 yrs apart. Figured out proper jam length on the #1 for 140 Nos BT. Have some partition loads to shoot in it as well, w/RL16 and 140's.
And started on 40 once fired Herter's cases for the T3X in 6.5CM.
Discovered some data for RL26 and the 184gr RWS for the 30R, have to load some of those up yet. Knew I bought that stuff for a good reason.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:26 PM

Loaded 22-250 AI with slower powder , N550 , and will see how it works with the heavier 77 gr .224 bullets tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:45 PM

Casting .40's for the Sharps and powder coating today
Cat
Old 06-06-2022, 11:14 AM

I loaded up 10 rds of 120 TTSX behind some CFE 223 for the 7-08 today. The kid had a nap long enough for that. Tomorrow I hope to get some loaded up behind some Varget.

I set the COAL extra long so that I could adjust, I always just seat to the Barnes recommendation. I have been thinking of trying to seat them closer to the lands, but I'm not sure the best way to find out where they are without purchasing more gear. Is it a worthwhile endeavor?
Old 06-07-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I loaded up 10 rds of 120 TTSX behind some CFE 223 for the 7-08 today. The kid had a nap long enough for that. Tomorrow I hope to get some loaded up behind some Varget.

I set the COAL extra long so that I could adjust, I always just seat to the Barnes recommendation. I have been thinking of trying to seat them closer to the lands, but I'm not sure the best way to find out where they are without purchasing more gear. Is it a worthwhile endeavor?
The best results I have ever had with Barnes bullets ( I have loaded for many different cartridges with them)
are right around the first driving band. That works out to anywhere from .075 to .125 off the lands .
I have never had better results loaded them like standard cup and core bullets .
Cat
Old 06-07-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:

The Cat is right on.

I load my 7-08 with 120 TTSX to .080 off the lands for best accuracy. All the rifles I load with Barnes seem to like .080 or more jump. Don't waste scarce components trying to go closer...there is nothing to be gained.

CFE gave me great velocities and good accuracy but pressure issues in hot weather. I am now loading Varget. It's 100 fps slower, good accuracy and should be as temp resistant as possible.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:43 PM

brewster29, cat

thanks for the replies. do you think this method is good enough to find out where the lands are?

https://youtu.be/90DOVa2cFNs?t=1047
Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 PM

Quote:
brewster29, cat

thanks for the replies. do you think this method is good enough to find out where the lands are?

With Barnes bullets I ignore where the lands are and simply start at the top of the first driving band. Load with a powder charge somewhere around 75-80% of the maximum rated charge and run a series of two shot groups at .005 increments both shorter and longer . You will find what length is best in a jiffy .
Mess with your powder charge after, your accuracy will be changed much faster with an OAL change rather than a powder charge change.
This has what I have been doing for load development for well over 30 years and it works .
I used to shoot three shot groups for initial work ups but found the third shot really doesn't need to be used .
Two and a length change will tell you what you need to know .
Cat
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 PM

I was boiling when I got home to my reloading room today! My wife and I got into some marital problems while I was figuring out me health issues over the last few months and I do admit I became quite angry and we separated for a few months. Got home to my reloading room and she had completely packed all my reloading gear and threw the bench I built to the dump. Just a bunch of boxes with no labels and thousands of dollars in gear just thrown into boxes. I am beside myself as this was my one past time I looked forward to to help me deal with my cancer. God grant me the serenity!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 06-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I was boiling when I got home to my reloading room today! My wife and I got into some marital problems while I was figuring out me health issues over the last few months and I do admit I became quite angry and we separated for a few months. Got home to my reloading room and she had completely packed all my reloading gear and threw the bench I built to the dump. Just a bunch of boxes with no labels and thousands of dollars in gear just thrown into boxes. I am beside myself as this was my one past time I looked forward to to help me deal with my cancer. God grant me the serenity!
Sorry to hear
I hope things sort out for you
Old 06-08-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Put all the material things aside till your health improves, plenty of guys on here that will load some rounds and fix you up with some powder and some bullets. Depending on what you need PM if you can't find a certain component I might have what you need to get you out hunting this fall no charge.

Like I told you on another thread ,your in my prayers and stay strong and focused on your health .Always wish you the best.

TAKE CARE
JD
Old 08-06-2022, 09:43 PM

Picked these up today at the range.

45 cases of 6.5CM. Hornady, Nosler, and Winchester. So I de-capped, wet tumbled, and annealed them. I’ll load them tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:23 AM

Got my hands on some new to me 6mm Berger 109 gr LRTH.
Loaded 30 rounds ,will be interesting , pretty hard to beat the 105's .
Old 08-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Got my hands on some new to me 6mm Berger 109 gr LRTH.
Loaded 30 rounds ,will be interesting , pretty hard to beat the 105's .
Where did you find those?
I have a dynamite load for my 6gt
Old 08-10-2022, 02:50 PM

Thinning out the herd and getting ready for the Medicine Hat Gun Show, here on October 1. Four tables worth of goodies (should have got six ) should be fun, but it is a lot of work.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
brewster29, cat

I'm cheap, so I do something similar.

Run the case just into the sizing die to start the neck size process, but not get too far. Just enough to hold the bullet in the neck comfortably, and still allow movement. Seat the bullet long.
Then run it in the action, and a quick bolt open. Do this a few times, just to make sure to get the same measurement.

This seems to work for me, for now.

I have been getting good results using RL16 in the 7-08 loading the 145 LRX. Can't wait to try it out in live action this fall.

Finished prepping 200 cases of 44 mag, and loaded 30 rounds for a range day to try and find a preferred powder charge. Using IMR 4227.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:06 PM

I have been having issues with my 7mm. Was certain it was not the shooter as all other guns I've been shooting have been giving me the groups they always have..

Got on the bench and put the rifle on bags instead of the leadsled. I went back to shells I had loaded before and made sure all the new ones loaded were the same seating depths. Turns out I was out - all were not seated to the previous load. First group all touching... Made my day. Taking it out of the sled likely helped as well.

Loaded 65 shells for my 270 - nosler 150gr ballistic tip. Had the prepped all the cases before so I only had to load powder and seat bullets. Went through 10 on the range and all met the expectations!

Started the polisher to get shells ready.. Be good to go tomorrow for sizing and primers.

Jumped to the 6mm

Swapped my rings on my 6mm to lower rings as I finally found some. Loaded a ladder test for 100gr btsp, going with imr4831 - last I loaded for this gun I went to a coyote load - 65gr vmax with imr 4064 and about 3600fps but I found all I was doing was blowing them up. Didn't accomplish what I set out to as the wind kicked up as the storm blew in. Also my chrono **** out and two loads I didn't get a reading for..

Build 2 gongs and put them to action. 7mm goes right through them at 300 yards. Wowza.. Have another one set at 400 but was working on my ladder test so I couldn't move to shoot it as its in a different spot in the field to shoot from.

Purple circle is my two and the red circle is my sons. 300 yards. The other 4 are the 270 - not enough jam to go through. Bergers vs ballistic tips. Both same fps. Middle two not circled were mine and the far right two are my sons.

Been a great day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2022, 10:31 PM

Full length sized and loaded batch#1 for my Sportco .223 with my standard load for the 75 grain Bergers.
This batch has a very large round count , but everything is doing well with the brass.
Cat
Old 08-15-2022, 06:26 PM
Shooting Xs

Default 100 yard load and zero confirm.

Slow twist 6BR. this morning.