Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Smile Hot off the smoker

Watching Omega post his smoker threads got me off my butt!

Thought I would try pulled beef on the ol's smoker, did a dry rub and marinated for 24 hours. Tried out my new AMNPS, worth every penny. The hickory pellets smoked beautifully for 7 hours and still had about 3 hours worth left, no reloading ,fuss or muss and pellets cost about a buck for 10 hours. I also added a 90 degree elbow with vents open fully, made a big different, way better drafting. There wont be many wood chip smokes use in my future After 7 hours, wrapped it up in tinfoil and finished cooking for another 3.5 hours to my desired temp, then wrapped roast beef in tinfoil in a blanket filling up all the space in my cooler for another hour and a half and voila.

just put in the smoker

would have looked nicer if between the time I left to grab my iphone the kids didn't cut the strings and already started digging in, urghhhh

now ready to start eating, fell apart with the fingers,didnt need a knife or fork. most tender and juiciest roast beef I have had
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Oh yum not fair man
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Damn you guys and your "smoking" treads.........I need to get one.

Looks good!!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Indeed! That looks so yummy!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Banned

Pixel, that looks very tasty. I use a massive Traeger for BBQ and smoker. I have found that pure hickory and mesquite impart far too strong of a flavour, so I mix my pellets half and half with something milder such as alder, apple or cherry. It tones down the strong flavor to something tastier which doesn't impart on the meat's flavour so much. The wonderful donair recipe which ABTUFF has shared and yours as well has me thinking that we should have a forum dedicated to recipes. Perhaps as a mod, you could convince the powers to be. If so, I would certainly post the best recipe for Indian candied salmon this side of the Mississippi.

BTW Pixel, what is the mix for your dry rub?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

you had me right up to the words of salmon, I get dry heaves just saying that word, force fed as a kid, cant shake it

Interesting you say that about hickory, didn't find that at all, but Im all for experimenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Pixel, that looks very tasty. I use a massive Traeger for BBQ and smoker. I have found that pure hickory and mesquite impart far too strong of a flavour, so I mix my pellets half and half with something milder such as alder, apple or cherry. It tones down the strong flavor to something tastier which doesn't impart on the meat's flavour so much. The wonderful donair recipe which ABTUFF has shared and yours as well has me thinking that we should have a forum dedicated to recipes. Perhaps as a mod, you could convince the powers to be. If so, I would certainly post the best recipe for Indian candied salmon this side of the Mississippi.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
you had me right up to the words of salmon, I get dry heaves just saying that word, force fed as a kid, cant shake it

Interesting you say that about hickory, didn't find that at all, but Im all for experimenting
Well I tell you what, I think that you could love salmon again. When we have friends over and we put out trays of various sausages, cheeses and crackers with some fine home made wine, the candied salmon disappears faster than rabbits at a running of the hounds.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Looks good pixel!!! My favourite wood for beef is maple or oak. I usually mix both.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Current Attachments (86.3 KB)
image.jpg (86.3 KB)
Smoked some lake trout this week for the first time didn't know it was so good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 46 views)