Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 PM

Post Elk hunt

Hey guys im new to alberta im originally from manitoba. Anywho im really interested in doing an archery elk hunt in the coming season but have no idea where to start. Id like to stay close to calgary if possible. So my question is where abouts around calgary can i go for elk and camp. Also any advice for taking an elk with a bow would be greatly appreciated.
Any information at all for a first time elk hunt would be awesome.
Thanks in advance and happy hunting.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Welcome!

Getting people to open up about elk whereabouts is about as difficult as getting them to open up about a spot to catch 13" perch.

There are lots of elk around Calgary....PERMISSION is the toughest part.

Good luck in your search!

LC
Old 01-21-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks i kinda figured that would be the case but no harm in asking. Also not really looking for exact locations just for a general idea of a place to start im willing to put the miles on. Ive heard that in the canmore area if you go in by canoe there are islands where they like to hang out. So i might have to check that out plus would make for a great camping trip
Old 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Pretty much anywhere west of Calgary. Check the regs for seasons. And make sure you get permission if your hunting on private land. good luck.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM

Do some driving around right now about 5mins sw of Calgary. You should find the elk with no problems "fallow the highway of tracks and broken fences". Then get a land map and start banging on doors.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 PM

Also herd that the porcupine hills area has a good amount of elk and some crown land but lots of hunters, has anyone ever hunted the canmore kanaskis area?
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterbuck View Post
Also herd that the porcupine hills area has a good amount of elk and some crown land but lots of hunters, has anyone ever hunted the canmore kanaskis area?
The porcies have some good elk hunting. Hunting pressure is bad during rifle season however it's not so bad during bow season. Also good elk hunting in K country, look out for bears and boundaries!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
The porcies have some good elk hunting. Hunting pressure is bad during rifle season however it's not so bad during bow season. Also good elk hunting in K country, look out for bears and boundaries!
Thanks for the info verry much appreciated
Old 01-21-2016, 10:07 PM

So i think im gonna try k country always been a dream of mine to hunt elk in the mountains. Now the work begins i guess any idea where i should start scouting?
Old 01-21-2016, 11:49 PM

Default Elk

Start by accumulating priority points. Then mine AO for past posts using the search button. You'll find all kinds of honey holes like that but it takes a bit of digging.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
There is just as much or more pressure in the porkies during the bow season. If you want to hunt with the bow with limited competition then try hunting in the 400 zones
Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Yea id like to stay away from others while hunting nothing worse than walking along and seeing another hunter every 300 yrds plus i also want to camp while im out so the more secluded the better
Old 01-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Is the elk season a draw? And if so do i need to put in for the area i want to hunt? Sorry im sure this sounds silly but ive never put in for a draw before in manitoba i primarely hunted whitetails and uplands and bear.
Thanks again for all the advice guys
Old 01-22-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterbuck View Post
Is the elk season a draw? And if so do i need to put in for the area i want to hunt? Sorry im sure this sounds silly but ive never put in for a draw before in manitoba i primarely hunted whitetails and uplands and bear.
Thanks again for all the advice guys
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/

Happy reading!