Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2015, 08:52 PM

Default Questions for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Bull to cow.... not bull to doe. Damn auto correct... who put the e right beside the w anyway
Ok without prejudice before I start my series of questions..
Been readin these threads for days now an these questions haven't been asked.
I assume you are First Nations from the posts I've read so far.so I'm gona ask you these questions..if you guys hunt for meat then how come you target huge bulls???and yes I know you've also taken cows an raghorns an spikes also but I've seen the pics of truck boxes full of trophy class elk..now we all know that more often than not older animals generally aren't the best table fare..yes for sure they can be but generally a spiker of young cow is gona be fantastic..
Next question..what do you do with the meat??in those warm temperatures even right now it's not very cold out those hides need to come off ASAP!any hunter knows this especially with elk..they are the worst for spoiling fast.and when there's a bunch of dead elk in the back of a truck there is hardly any airflow an all that heat is kept in the animals..so if 100 plus elk were killed by FN yesterday where do they all go to get taken care of properly?thats a ton of elk an even more so a TON of work to deal with..
Last question..what happens to all the racks???most guys I know including myself would spend a lifetime smiling at their 390" elk in their house since it's a once an a lifetime animal and for most of us this is one of the rare and best chances to ever take a bull of this calibre..but if you have dozens upon dozens of these huge bulls what do you do with em all??cant possibly hang them all up in a house??a quality elk mount from a quality taxidermist is pushing 1200$ easy so nobody I know can mount a dozen or more 350" plus bulls..so what's the point of shooting all these huge bulls???i want to know and so do many others why you shoot dozens of huge bulls??just cause you can???
I think these are honest questions an there is no harm meant towards you.im just very curious is all...
Old 11-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
Ok without prejudice before I start my series of questions..
Been readin these threads for days now an these questions haven't been asked.
I assume you are First Nations from the posts I've read so far.so I'm gona ask you these questions..if you guys hunt for meat then how come you target huge bulls???and yes I know you've also taken cows an raghorns an spikes also but I've seen the pics of truck boxes full of trophy class elk..now we all know that more often than not older animals generally aren't the best table fare..yes for sure they can be but generally a spiker of young cow is gona be fantastic..
Next question..what do you do with the meat??in those warm temperatures even right now it's not very cold out those hides need to come off ASAP!any hunter knows this especially with elk..they are the worst for spoiling fast.and when there's a bunch of dead elk in the back of a truck there is hardly any airflow an all that heat is kept in the animals..so if 100 plus elk were killed by FN yesterday where do they all go to get taken care of properly?thats a ton of elk an even more so a TON of work to deal with..
Last question..what happens to all the racks???most guys I know including myself would spend a lifetime smiling at their 390" elk in their house since it's a once an a lifetime animal and for most of us this is one of the rare and best chances to ever take a bull of this calibre..but if you have dozens upon dozens of these huge bulls what do you do with em all??cant possibly hang them all up in a house??a quality elk mount from a quality taxidermist is pushing 1200$ easy so nobody I know can mount a dozen or more 350" plus bulls..so what's the point of shooting all these huge bulls???i want to know and so do many others why you shoot dozens of huge bulls??just cause you can???
I think these are honest questions an there is no harm meant towards you.im just very curious is all...
Valid questions. I can't speak on behalf of all FN. But can speak to my own.

Wasted meat is really looked down upon by all of the FN hunters and people I have ever met.

That famous picture of the truck full of horns belonged to the guy who transported the heads for testing.. all those heads were given with the horns on.

Most FN people don't give a RA about the horns. They want and need the meat.

Who can honestly brag or be right proud of a bull from a cull hunt. There are thousands of them in a wide open field and you more less drive up. Get out. And shoot.

There is no aspect of this that qualifies it as a hunt.

These FN guys are going out to fill freezers and feed people.

I did not see a cow on the base in my last trip. Also did not see a spike. It is very common to see groups of 10+ 6x6 in your travels.

Ps I don't know why it is but those 6x6 from that Base are pretty damn tender. I was expecting it to be tough. But I was also hoping to shoot a spiker Wich I did not see.

I only saw 1 350 plus bull in any of the trucks I saw. I did however see them live and well. Including a 9x9 that would have been well into the 400s

Last edited by SmokinJoe; 11-04-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Just curious as to why only 2000 head they want?.....I lived in Medicine Hat for 9 years and there's Tons of land on and off the base for 8000 elk.....maybe there worried about that number tripling in Ten years or something?
Off base....really
What part of landowner complaints around block don't you get?
If it was your alfalfa,corn, grazing land that you rely on to put food on the table....and those 8k elk are eating.
Hmmm lets take 30% of your yearly income(rough number) and feed it to elk.....how happy would you be?
If indeed the elk were staying on block practically no one would care.
Unfortunate as it may seem the elk indeed have seen the grass(corn,alfalfa,sunflower) is greener on the other side.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Banned

My buddy sent me this, natives did pretty good but I wonder. Were all the meat fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.8 KB, 1400 views)
Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Congratulations you found the first picture of the CWD truck full of raghorns given to the study.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Guess reading comprehension is lacking. There are crankers in the base. Not everywhere but there are crankers in there. Would love to see some photos in this photos thread.

Good luck to all the cullers out there
The reason I asked was because I've never seen a cranker from the base and thought you would be kind enough to post some pictures.
A cranker for me would be a 375 net B&C score or better.
Again I'm not saying they don't exist I just have never seen one.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringer View Post
The reason I asked was because I've never seen a cranker from the base and thought you would be kind enough to post some pictures.
A cranker for me would be a 375 net B&C score or better.
Again I'm not saying they don't exist I just have never seen one.
This was from last falls base hunt when non FN hunters could only shoot cows... I beleive he will make your cranked list..,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.5 KB, 1445 views)
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Congratulations you found the first picture of the CWD truck full of raghorns given to the study.
Do you really think people believe a word you say? We all watched trucks full of racks rush back onto the base this morning for one more slaughter.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter1234 View Post
This was from last falls base hunt when non FN hunters could only shoot cows... I beleive he will make your cranked list..,
Nice bull but not 375 net.
Nice try
Old 11-04-2015, 10:30 PM

Do all heads have to be submitted for testing or can a sample be given at the check out station? (If the Hunter wanted to keep the skull on for a euro mount) is it possible to keep the whole skull on the antlers and still take the trophy home with you after the hunt?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
Do all heads have to be submitted for testing or can a sample be given at the check out station? (If the Hunter wanted to keep the skull on for a euro mount) is it possible to keep the whole skull on the antlers and still take the trophy home with you after the hunt?
I thought I read that it was voluntary head submission, not mandatory.
Cat
Old 11-04-2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmsniper View Post
Head submission is voluntary.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Nice try
X2
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
This statement is a complete lie as if you are turning in the heads you do it as you check out. That picture was taken right outside the briefing station in Ralston. But bring on some more BS!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Nice try
That's beyond a bull of a lifetime..I know two guys that have killed 370 plus off the base an that bull gives theirs a run for the $...
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 PM

How do you know this? Did you take the picture?
Old 11-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Valid questions. I can't speak on behalf of all FN. But can speak to my own.

Wasted meat is really looked down upon by all of the FN hunters and people I have ever met.

That famous picture of the truck full of horns belonged to the guy who transported the heads for testing.. all those heads were given with the horns on.

Most FN people don't give a RA about the horns. They want and need the meat.

Who can honestly brag or be right proud of a bull from a cull hunt. There are thousands of them in a wide open field and you more less drive up. Get out. And shoot.

There is no aspect of this that qualifies it as a hunt.

These FN guys are going out to fill freezers and feed people.

I did not see a cow on the base in my last trip. Also did not see a spike. It is very common to see groups of 10+ 6x6 in your travels.

Ps I don't know why it is but those 6x6 from that Base are pretty damn tender. I was expecting it to be tough. But I was also hoping to shoot a spiker Wich I did not see.

I only saw 1 350 plus bull in any of the trucks I saw. I did however see them live and well. Including a 9x9 that would have been well into the 400s

Post#62

You speak of your own.

What treaty?

Yes I like fire.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
That's beyond a bull of a lifetime..I know two guys that have killed 370 plus off the base an that bull gives theirs a run for the $...
Great G 1-2-3
Week G 4-5
Average main beams.
And some extra points which would be deductions.
If this bull gives them a run for their money I would say those Bulls were scored with a set of eyes and not a measuring tape.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM

Default elk

Quote:
How do you know this? Did you take the picture?
Ya Smokin I did take the same pic, those head were outside the check point at the morning briefing Tuesday and Wednesday so they weren't being summited.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Great G 1-2-3
Week G 4-5
Average main beams.
And some extra points which would be deductions.
If this bull gives them a run for their money I would say those Bulls were scored with a set of eyes and not a measuring tape.
I think you would be surprised what that bull would score.....

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I think you would be surprised what that bull would score.....
Prove me wrong
Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMaster101 View Post
Ya Smokin I did take the same pic, those head were outside the check point at the morning briefing Tuesday and Wednesday so they weren't being summited.
What part of no pictures on the base do you not understand?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:46 AM

That pic with the all the elk in the back had saskatchewan plates on it and a trailer behind it so they could continue the slaughter. Nice try! The saskatchewan and manitoba boys made out quite well!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Every lineup I was in I smelt booze, what part of no drinking on the base don't you understand
Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The ralston theater is not the base. Quite simple if you ask me.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Anyhow. I got all I needed out of these threads.

Anyone want to bet what next year's hunt looks like?
Old 11-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:

After what I saw I hope the military takes care of the elk problem.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:

About 350 less bull tags, same amount of cows. That is of course if harvest numbers keep steady.

100% Harvest rates on draw + FN harvest they could be around the 3000 animal mark this year which "could" be almost 1/3rd of the elk depending on whose counts you believe.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Old 11-05-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter17 View Post
After what I saw I hope the military takes care of the elk problem.
X2

Might be time for a real cull. Helicopter and a large hole....