Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFY View Post
Well they must have because this bull way bigger than yours .
Let me guess,,,,,,, 19 inch 3rds and fourths???
Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Well they must have because this bull way bigger than yours .
Yup...that's a biggie, awesome for you, thanks for posting this picture.
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-19-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Let me guess,,,,,,, 19 inch 3rds and fourths???
Not sure as I never got the info on the time lengths . I was told it went 390". I did see a bull in the back of the guys truck that was a 5x5 that all points were that long . Probably score 330-340" . That bull was with the one in the picture .
Old 11-19-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfy View Post
not sure as i never got the info on the time lengths . I was told it went 390". I did see a bull in the back of the guys truck that was a 5x5 that all points were that long . Probably score 330-340" . That bull was with the one in the picture .
357"
Old 11-19-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
357"
Which one scores that?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:03 PM

It's been a rough couples days out looking for cows for me. Haven't seen many at all, today was a little better we were able to put a stalk on twice but they are so spooky as they get wind of you the are out of there and not just a few hundreds yards. And if they are anywhere near the OB area on the east edge they are long gone. This seems to be more the norm when inquiring at the checkout, although there are ones getting taken out. Many miles have been put on both in my truck and on my boots. Tomorrow is another day but right now I'm just hoping to take something home with me
Old 11-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtuna81 View Post
It's been a rough couples days out looking for cows for me. Haven't seen many at all, today was a little better we were able to put a stalk on twice but they are so spooky as they get wind of you the are out of there and not just a few hundreds yards. And if they are anywhere near the OB area on the east edge they are long gone. This seems to be more the norm when inquiring at the checkout, although there are ones getting taken out. Many miles have been put on both in my truck and on my boots. Tomorrow is another day but right now I'm just hoping to take something home with me

BigTuna, you experience is very typical of what we have seen and heard from participants in the last two days. Seems like the animals have been hunted hard and have learned fast. Between yesterday and today we have driven and walked many, many miles on the base, LOTS of animals ....... just in places we cannot pursue them. In two days, we have yet to see a legal animal in a place we could take a shot.

Still beats a day at work Early night and back at it tomorrow
Old 11-19-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Which one scores that?
Don't you know the score of the bull your posting pics of?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Still beats a day at work Early night and back at it tomorrow
Yes, yes it does
Old 11-19-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Don't you know the score of the bull your posting pics of?
No I did not . I thought it was 370 not 390". I was shared a pic of a bull I seen on the hoof . So I figured I would share witgvyou guys. I actually have live pics of the same bull from early in the year just inside the base.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
No I did not . I thought it was 370 not 390". I was shared a pic of a bull I seen on the hoof . So I figured I would share witgvyou guys. I actually have live pics of the same bull from early in the year just inside the base.
Ahhh gotcha!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:28 AM

There has been lots of tickets handed out amazes me what people will do when being watched...what do they do when they aren't being watched?

LC
Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 AM

Whatchyou talkin bout Lefty???
Old 11-20-2015, 08:52 AM

Go hang around the courthouse in January

LC
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM

You mean lots of tickets handed out at the base?
Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 AM

Default Suffield Nov 16-18 - Bull hunt

So here is a report on my recent experience on the Suffield base hunting for bulls during the 2015 Nov 16 -18 season.

The military had virtually the entire south half of the base closed for the second bull season. In addition to this, there is a huge swath of land along the east side closed to hunting. Further, on the north boarder there is another huge area (128 sq km) closed to hunting. That’s not to say there wasn’t a huge area open to hunting, but when the pressure is on, the elk know where to go and disappear in these vast off limit areas.

Day 1
There were about 300 people at the safety briefing. It was a little overwhelming, but once disbursed inside the base I did not find it too crowded. At times while driving 4x4 trails we did not see other vehicles or hunters for 45 minutes (which I think is reasonable for what was intended to be a mass heard reduction type hunt). I did not find the hunting pressure that bad for a hunt of this type.

I was expecting to see hundreds, if not thousands of elk. After all, we keep hearing that there are 7000+ elk on the base. On day one my helper and I saw only 20 elk in total. The biggest was a 4pt, a few spikers, and the rest cows. It was very discouraging to see so few elk considering the hundreds of square km we glassed and drove. Several elk were taken and seen in the backs of trucks by people who bumped into small groups as they drove around but you very much needed to be at the right place at the right time. A few of the bulls I saw were average 6 pointers, but most were smaller bulls. We heard from a couple other hunting parties that a large herd of some 400 to 1000 was seen early in the morning of the first day but this herd quickly disappeared into an out of bounds area.

Day 2
On day 2 there were maybe only 1/3 of the hunters as day 1. I asked the military guy who does the morning briefing why they did not open the off limits area along the east side of the base and he indicated that they were considering doing that in the future. He acknowledged that that’s where thousands of elk end up when the hunting pressure is on. I had decided that I would take any bull on day 2 after seeing so few elk on day 1. I know some hunting parties bumped into many more elk than we did, but by and large most of the other hunting parties we talked to observed very few elk. On day 2 we did not see any elk until about 11am when we spotted a bachelor herd of 3 bulls. Long story short it worked out for me and I took a nice 6x7 I am very happy with.

I did not personally observe any shenanigans or illegal activity in my two days on the base. I don’t doubt that if I had come across vast herds of elk I would have seen the type of poor behavior so often described in these threads (flock shooting, shooting from trucks, etc). I heard from some other hunters about some bad behavior they had seen but since I did not see this first hand I will leave it at that.

I enjoyed seeing hundreds of antelope every day saw countless huge shed antlers littering the landscape. But I’d have to admit it was pretty disheartening to see so few elk day after day and this is what the military and F&W need to address. Considering that people are coming from hundreds of miles away to participate in this heard reduction (cull), it is inconceivable to me that the base maintains such enormous off limits areas to hunters. The elk know where to be as they have had generations to learn where the safe areas are. The swath of land along the entire east side of the base needs to be opened if there is any hope to achieve a material harvest of elk given the number of tags given out. I feel bad for the cow and bull elk hunters who are still looking forward to their upcoming season. I had a cousin in there on the opening of the second cow elk season who did not see a single elk all day Wednesday Nov 18. Not one.

I am indeed grateful for the opportunity to enter the base to participate in this hunt and was one of the fortunate ones to take a pretty nice bull. But there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of access to the huge areas that are currently out of bounds.

Good luck to those that still have tags for the upcoming seasons.

A pic of my bull (picture taken off the base).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (182.0 KB, 999 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM

Heard a Rumour that the safe zone may be offered up to the Military Folks to do a Hunt of their own , after the season closes for us that were drawn.

Wish i had a crystal ball to have known what was coming at the end of January after this controversial Hunt / Cull / herd reduction . I would have drawn in November.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:33 AM

My dad and brother in law are out there today. The elk are in the safe zones, and the ones that aren't, are being pushed an incredible amount. People are chasing a group of about 60 cows and one spike bull (bull being the target). Apparently the elk have their mouths hanging open from being chased so much. Doesn't sound like a good hunt at all. If they truly want to reduce the herd size then they must open up some more areas. Elk aren't stupid as most of us know. They go
To safe areas
Old 11-23-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacan View Post
My dad and brother in law are out there today. The elk are in the safe zones, and the ones that aren't, are being pushed an incredible amount. People are chasing a group of about 60 cows and one spike bull (bull being the target). Apparently the elk have their mouths hanging open from being chased so much. Doesn't sound like a good hunt at all. If they truly want to reduce the herd size then they must open up some more areas. Elk aren't stupid as most of us know. They go
To safe areas
Yes that's to bad that so many Elk have to be running hard to get away from all the hunters and trucks..etc! I have been following this entire process right from the start and it seems like there is as many different opinions as to what is happening out there..lots of good stories have made it to this forum,as well have many that were not so good...I guess that's what happens when this type of hunting has to happen...there's always good, but some bad no matter what!
Sounds like the military are hoping that these animals end up in the so called safe zones so once all is said and done for the hunters out there,then they will open up these zones that should be filled with Nice big Elk for the forces members to get in there and get the chance to take some of that meat home as well....right now this culling process is also a corralling process! That's how I see it from here anyway, I don't mean for this to sound negative...it is just my opinion on the whole thing...I hope our forces members that get a chance for some of that meat once everyone else is gone...all fill their freezers, they deserve to have some fun and enjoyment of hunting with their brothers, plus the meat is so darn tasty...good luck to all those that have yet to fill a tag! And good luck to all the forces members who take part as well...go and enjoy! As well I would like to take this space to say Thank You to our brave troops for all you do...you really are the best!!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 PM

Default Just rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Yes that's tog bad that so many Elk have to be running hard to get away from all the hunters and trucks..etc! I have been following this entire process right from the start and it seems like there is as many different opinions as to what is happening out there..lots of good stories have made it to this forum,as well have many that were not so good...I guess that's what happens when this type of hunting has to happen...there's always good, but some bad no matter what!
Sounds like the military are hoping that these animals end up in the so called safe zones so once all is said and done for the hunters out there,then they will open up these zones that should be filled with Nice big Elk for the forces members to get in there and get the chance to take some of that meat home as well....right now this culling process is also a corralling process! That's how I see it from here anyway, I don't mean for this to sound negative...it is just my opinion on the whole thing...I hope our forces members that get a chance for some of that meat once everyone else is gone...all fill their freezers, they deserve to have some fun and enjoyment of hunting with their brothers, plus the meat is so darn tasty...good luck to all those that have yet to fill a tag! And good luck to all the forces members who take part as well...go and enjoy! As well I would like to take this space to say Thank You to our brave troops for all you do...you really are the best!!
Zip
Where do these rumours come from ?... There is no way on earth the Mil guys will be allowed in the NWA to shoot elk unless it's an injured animal trust me on this ,they are under the same restrictions as everyone else.
Also while I'm here the Military have never and will never shoot elk from helicopters ....ever.
This is not a negative post by the way just one to stem the rumours !!!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Where do these rumours come from ?... There is no way on earth the Mil guys will be allowed in the NWA to shoot elk unless it's an injured animal trust me on this ,they are under the same restrictions as everyone else.
Also while I'm here the Military have never and will never shoot elk from helicopters ....ever.
This is not a negative post by the way just one to stem the rumours !!!
I'm sorry, I totally made some comments that looks and sounds like nothing as to what is meant..if my post sounds like it is offensive in any which way I appologize right now for that...even I can now see my mistakes! Please don't be to harsh on me for being out of bounds on my post.
Very sorry..
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 PM

Spent all day on the base today. We covered a ton of ground mostly in the truck but we tried to stay off the main roads and we did get out for a couple of walks. We saw a small group of elk almost first thing in the morning but they were quite a ways away and it looked like there were 2-3 other groups trying to get closer so we moved on. Also had a single startled cow run across one of the main roads infront of us. Around 1 we went for a walk where it looked like trucks couldn't get to and walked up to a great bull bedded. I basically rushed what should have been a sure thing and missed a gimme shot and the 2 follow ups on the run (at least we couldn't find blood) and he made a quick dash to the wildlife reserve. We didn't see another elk.... hundreds of pronghorns and so many sheds that are painful to drive by. Overall a pretty slow day, we did see 3-4 gut piles but nothing in the back of any trucks.

I'll be back tomorrow but I fear I had my chance and blew it.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Don't give up. We were there last week and had a glorious chance on day 1. Still can't believe my buddy didn't kill that bull. Day 2, we got two bulls out of a group of six. Skinned and quartered, in the truck and headed out by noon.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:12 PM

Was on the base today as well. Saw 2 really good bulls getting a ride out in the back of trucks.
Saw a herd of about 80 get surrounded. There was a couple little bulls. A few shots got fired while we watched but didn't see if they got anything.
At checkout they said around 35 bulls got shot.
Saw a 5x5 bedded just out of bounds. No other bulls spotted for us.
Also saw a pretty decent bull dead that must have got shot last hunt and lost. Wasn't cleaned up yet but had been partly eaten.

I'll be back out tomorrow as well.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:27 PM

I fogot to mention that overall the process was good. The morning orientation was painless although I found it amusing that some guys literally ran out of the building after and peeled out of the parking lot.

One negative was that right after we started our first hike we found a dead bull, antlers and head intact and upon further inspection found that someone had taken the backstraps and one rear quarter. I'm guessing they shot up the rear quarter on another animal earlier and must have had the opertunity to replace it. Too bad it was a decent 6x6 bull that I'm sure most guys would have been happy to take home. It was not fresh so likely a victim from last week.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:46 AM

I got my bull yesterday and I thought this experience was just as great as my cow hunt in February. We saw tons of elk and my dad came from BC as my helper so he could enjoy the experience with me. There are still tons of bulls left on the base. We saw well over 100 meat Bulls and we were tagged out at 915.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's no 390 bull especially with that broken point. To hit 370 he would have to have a great width measurement. He's a gager.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I'm sorry, I totally made some comments that looks and sounds like nothing as to what is meant..if my post sounds like it is offensive in any which way I appologize right now for that...even I can now see my mistakes! Please don't be to harsh on me for being out of bounds on my post.
Very sorry..
Zip
Absolutely no harm done what so ever buddy 😊😊😊😊
Old 11-24-2015, 04:23 PM

Here is my little bull from yesterday

image.jpg
Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypee View Post
Absolutely no harm done what so ever buddy 😊😊😊😊

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip