Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 AM

Default Foraging for wild Pine Mushrooms

If you guys ever come out to bc in the fall... September/October to do some salmon fishing then you might want to also check out the amazing array of fall mushrooms. Especially the plentiful gourmet matsutake or pine mushroom. We tried it for the first time this fall and loved it so much we had to go back for more. His a video of how it's done.

https://youtu.be/d6NYm88p54g

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 11-05-2015, 08:03 AM

A decade or more ago one mushroom could net $200. prices aren't that good anymore.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 AM

Not a big fan of pine mushrooms but collect lots of Chantrelles, lobsters and chicken of the woods when im in BC, they are awesome. I wash them and then cut them up and vacuum pack them in the portion sizes I want or in sizes good for some wild mushroom soup.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Not a big fan of pine mushrooms but collect lots of Chantrelles, lobsters and chicken of the woods when im in BC, they are awesome. I wash them and then cut them up and vacuum pack them in the portion sizes I want or in sizes good for some wild mushroom soup.
We love these pine mushrooms great texture and taste. Unfortunately where we were looking we didn't find any chantrelle lobster or chicken of the woods. Lots of pines though. Next year I'll try to target some chantrelle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
A decade or more ago one mushroom could net $200. prices aren't that good anymore.
Yup now the best price we saw from the buyers was 20 dollars a pound which is really good. I hear it is usually 4 to 18 a pound now. I don't care though we just keep them for personal use. Drying, freezing and eating fresh.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the Great video of your shroomin! Looks like the whole family had a fun time. I used to pick pines back in the '90's when there was a lot of cash in it and got addicted to mushroom hunting. As a side benifit it's also quite the workout jumping over dead fall and up and down hills in the bush all day. We pretty well only go out for chanterelles now for our own consumption, but we eat a lot of them when we can. I've found that chanterelles don't seem to dry as well as other mushrooms (like the pines) so we lightly saute them and then freeze in ziplocks. They keep quite well that way.Here's a few shots I got while we were hunting in Sept.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks for posting this guys, I am envious of your mushroom knowledge. I have never had the courage to pick and consume wild mushrooms. I don't know enough to identify the harmful ones from the safe ones. As I walk through the bush I see the squirrels pack and store upside down on spruce tree branches some tan looking mushrooms I have been told these are safe to eat but never been hungry enough to try them. David.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Thanks for the Great video of your shroomin! Looks like the whole family had a fun time. I used to pick pines back in the '90's when there was a lot of cash in it and got addicted to mushroom hunting. As a side benifit it's also quite the workout jumping over dead fall and up and down hills in the bush all day. We pretty well only go out for chanterelles now for our own consumption, but we eat a lot of them when we can. I've found that chanterelles don't seem to dry as well as other mushrooms (like the pines) so we lightly saute them and then freeze in ziplocks. They keep quite well that way.Here's a few shots I got while we were hunting in Sept.
Wow amazing Scott H. I really didn't see any Chanterelles. I am not sure if we were too late or just in the wrong spots. The first time we went it was Thanksgiving and then we went again about ten days after that. Lots of different kinds of mushrooms, but didn't see any Chanterelles. I am completely new to this picking so I'll have to get into the bush in September next fall and see if I can locate some Chanterelle. I hear the gulf islands and Vancouver island can be amazing for them. We were just around Whister, Pemberton area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Thanks for posting this guys, I am envious of your mushroom knowledge. I have never had the courage to pick and consume wild mushrooms. I don't know enough to identify the harmful ones from the safe ones. As I walk through the bush I see the squirrels pack and store upside down on spruce tree branches some tan looking mushrooms I have been told these are safe to eat but never been hungry enough to try them. David.
There are a few mushrooms that are safe and easy to identify. Like Spring Morels that are so yummy, must be cooked. Then Boletus with the red top in alberta are safe bush usually a little wormy. These Pines have a smell that is very distinctive and the texture is very unique. I believe Chanterelle have a few look alikes, but once you see the real deal you shouldn't mix them up. It is a lot safer than most people think if you just keep the rule... when in doubt throw it out. Wild mushrooms are a lot of fun to search for an excellent table fair!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM

OMG Brandon, I would give up my left nut for the haul like that. Well, I'd reaaaaaly consider it. Haven't seen shrooms like that, and so many since my childhood in Mother Russia. It's almost worth going to BC for a weekend or even a week to load up. I hope I remember about this post next August...
Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM

started on chanty's on the island making $150 a day cash.then tried pines took a couple yrs of nothing then JACKPOT $1000 to $1500 a day,Prices were $120/lb for #1, $80 for #2 even #3 were $20/lb.
Then prices dropped dramatacly russia got in on it and #1 $8/lb and #2 were $4/lb quit picking after that.new fallers in terrace that took the month of august off and bought a brand new ford diesel cash with his pickings.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:19 PM

Whistler and Pemberton are prime areas to pick, with the only problem being that there are lots of people around that like to pick. It seems that you found a great spot and were the first there. Now that the prices are lower there doesn't seem to be nearly the same amount of guys picking.
I'm heading back out next week to top up the freezer and hopefully their will be a few mushrooms left
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Whistler and Pemberton are prime areas to pick, with the only problem being that there are lots of people around that like to pick. It seems that you found a great spot and were the first there. Now that the prices are lower there doesn't seem to be nearly the same amount of guys picking.
I'm heading back out next week to top up the freezer and hopefully their will be a few mushrooms left
I'm off next week and want to do some Salmon fishing on the Harrison maybe and go looking for some shrooms too. Are there still Chanterelle out there this late?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:37 AM

Thank you for sharing, you have a very lovely family.
Just wondering, Is there any law or regulation about mushroom picking?

Last edited by dawei88; 11-06-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I'm off next week and want to do some Salmon fishing on the Harrison maybe and go looking for some shrooms too. Are there still Chanterelle out there this late?
I've picked them into November before so there should be some around for awhile if we don't get a frost. I'm hoping to pick up a few while we're out hunting next week. Good luck with the coho on the Harrison.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
I've picked them into November before so there should be some around for awhile if we don't get a frost. I'm hoping to pick up a few while we're out hunting next week. Good luck with the coho on the Harrison.
Thanks maybe I'll go get some coho and mushrooms then when I'm off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei88 View Post
Just wondering, Is there any law or regulation about mushroom picking?
Thanks actually there are currently no rules or regulations regarding mushroom picking on crown land. You can pick whatever you want and there is no limit. If it is a reserve or leased land you need permission.

It is is a ecologic reserve, provincial park or national park you are not allowed to pick or gather anything, including NO MUSHROOMS.

So just don't go in the parks and you'll be good to go. If you have a smart phone just turn on your google maps and it will show you where the park land is and you just stay off.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Thanks maybe I'll go get some coho and mushrooms then when I'm off.

Thanks actually there are currently no rules or regulations regarding mushroom picking on crown land. You can pick whatever you want and there is no limit. If it is a reserve or leased land you need permission.

It is is a ecologic reserve, provincial park or national park you are not allowed to pick or gather anything, including NO MUSHROOMS.

So just don't go in the parks and you'll be good to go. If you have a smart phone just turn on your google maps and it will show you where the park land is and you just stay off.
thank you for the information.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Well went out to the vedder to give it a try since Freds custom tackle said the coho fishing was off the hook. We'll I didn't catch a thing. So I went mushroom picking and found a bunch. Most that I saw were getting old so just left them behind. Found my first chanterelle and lobster mushrooms. Pretty cool.

Tags
matsutake, mushroom, picking, pine mushroom, wild