Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Default Magpie Trap Bait

A little help please.....

I just finished building my magpie trap based on photos of TreeGuy's old trap. I now want to know what type of bait I should be using to get as many of the buggers as I possibly can.

They eat pretty much anything that's in my yard, peas, tomatoes, bird food.... but the agricultural post for their magpie trap suggests the following;

"Large bones, beef heads, fat, dead rabbits or any frozen carcasses and offal may be used as draw-bait."

I don't have any of the stuff that they suggest, so what are some really useful alternatives?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magpie Trap-001.jpg (58.6 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Magpie Trap-002.jpg (37.2 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Magpie Trap-003.jpg (56.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Magpie Trap-004.jpg (39.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 07-19-2016, 03:09 PM

I've had decent success with dog food
Old 07-19-2016, 03:12 PM

Whatever they are used to eating in your yard should do.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Dogfood and tinfoil. The foil is an attractant. Works like a charm
Old 07-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Dogfood and tinfoil. The foil is an attractant. Works like a charm
X2 Never thought about tinfoil, but dog food works great.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:05 PM

go shoot some gophers..... perfect bait.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:35 PM

I can confirm that dry dogfood works. Put some all over the enterance for an appeteizer then the rest inside for the main course
Old 07-19-2016, 05:06 PM

A few years back ,had the trap built , but hadn't baited it yet , and when thinking about what to use , I remembered that there was a left over pork from last nights dinner , that missed getting put in the fridge , so it was going to just get thrown out . ( I hate wasting good food ) So then I figured that if I used it for the mags , it wasn't a complete waste .

I'll bet it wasn't hardly more than three hours , and there was 4 magpies in the trap fighting over that pork chop . And one more in the tree overhead .

Quite happy to see , and funny to watch but what a lot of noise .

out came the sling shot , and then it was all quiet again
Old 07-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Any sort of meat will work just fine. Dog food and Cat food works great. Then you don't have to smell it if you leave the bait to long LOL
Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 PM

That looks awesome. I'm flattered.

Dry cat/dog food is what I usually used. McDonalds drive thru debris creatively arranged will really catch the eye of urban birds as well.

Obviously the point of the floor is for transport to a potentially more discrete location for disposal. Although my first batch were live released in a buddy's garage....

With the perches, it seems to keep them calmer. The panicked squawking with draw more in from afar, but the point is to get em in the trap and I found having one in there thrashing about on an uncomfortable floor to be generally detrimental.

Oh, I'd shorten the funnel 2" also. Otherwise, good stuff and please keep us updated.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Wet cat food on foil
Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Literally anything edible. Like Tree said some fast food wrappers add some visual punch, but I just use food destined to be thrown out, whatever is expired that's in the fridge. Sprinkle a treasure trail at the entrance and put the mother lode inside the trap.

When the trap has a captive, don't immediately go out and 'get it', let it hang out and attract its buddies, more will come. I've found that they will wise up to the trap so be sure to let it fill as much as possible before giving them the scare. If some are on the outside of the trap its OK to perforate them with a .177 as even 'sickly' magpies attract other magpies.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 PM

Ok, for tonight I have a moldy hotdog bun out there. And tomorrow I'll probably have another. That's outside the trap to get them used to it being around for a few days first.

In a few days I'll see what leftovers I have that might be going bad. I might even try going to the local butcher, and see if he has any waste that he's going to throw away. Maybe he'll have some large intestine that's starting to turn worse than it already could possibly be. Obviously these flying rodents will eat anything!

TreeGuy,

I was going to make something way more elaborate....a ladder trap. It would have been huge. 8'x8' square. But my brother was going to want to use it at his place after I was done with it. I didn't want to make something so large to have to lug it over to his place. But I might in the future, if they start coming back around after this round.

MLT-001.pdf

I'll see about modifying the entrance to be 2" shorter. It'll be a huge pain as it's tight wire mesh, and getting my hands inside isn't very easy.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:52 PM

Default Magpie Trap Bait

Right on. Good luck man.

If there was anything I'd have changed about the first one I made is the mesh size. Bigger is better in the sense that any unintentional birds caught that you DO enjoy having around can escape if need be.

Last edited by TreeGuy; 07-19-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

How small did you make the hole that they enter?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
How small did you make the hole that they enter?

Depends on the size of the pecker.

Mine was around 8"........
Old 07-19-2016, 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;3282684]Depends on the size of the pecker.

LOL! Good one!

Actually I meant the end of the tunnel. Mine, they walk back out. Obviously I have to make it smaller.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:40 PM

[QUOTE=dfarms11;3282690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Depends on the size of the pecker.

LOL! Good one!

Actually I meant the end of the tunnel. Mine, they walk back out. Obviously I have to make it smaller.
I made mine to clear my fist plus about an inch to spare, I also left it adjustable by leaving the wire ends able to be bent to close it up a bit. I think I've only had about two escapee's out of 4 dozen guests over the years, though sometimes if you're looking at it from certain perspectives a bird on the far side can look as though its inside the cage.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 PM

I'm still finding feathers years later.

Thanks tree guy.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I'm still finding feathers years later.

Thanks tree guy.

Haha! That's what signing me up to the lieberal party of Canada gets ya!
Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 AM

Old 07-20-2016, 07:43 AM

UGH!!!

Well, I put my bait OUTSIDE the trap last night. This morning, 2 extra curious magpies were inside the trap, and about 11 more were hanging around trying to figure out what to do about it/how to get them out.

So now I have 2 in the trap with no bait inside. Any suggestions about what to do now????

Old 07-20-2016, 08:09 AM

I've had the same thing happen and have just left it as is. The others will remain curious and make their way in there. I've also seen some good battles between different birds in the traps which also seemed to attract more birds.

Good luck and post a couple pictures of your bounty!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:39 AM

I used a can of corn as bait
Old 07-20-2016, 12:25 PM

Default trapping crows?

I just found this thread yesterday and my first summer project will be to build this at the cabin.
Anyone tried trapping crows with this type of trap? If yes, does entry need to be larger?
Old 07-20-2016, 12:31 PM

Ok, now there are 3 in there. I've been trying to stay away from the house as much as I can, because they are already scared of me.....having used my slingshot on them several times before. I want that cage FILLED!!!!

P1090232.jpg

Ok, I know there was only one question about the trap, but I'm going to go through the whole build, just in case anyone else has any questions. And hopefully I cover everything.....This way when I make another one, I'll remember what the hell I did too because it will be here!!!

Materials I used:
2"x2" boards
#8 2 1/2" deck screws (because I had lots laying around)
1/4" x 1/4" wire mesh that I had bought years ago to put around my deck at my cabin, but never got around to doing it
1/2" staples

Tools I used:
Work table (instead of working on the ground)
Tape measure
Pencil
Speed Square
Saw
6" wood clamp
Drill and drill bit (small enough to leave "bite" for #8 screws)
Screwdriver (Robertson #2)
Staple gun
Needle nose pliers
Wire cutters (aka Side cutters)
My spare time....

Instructions:
First off, the length of the cage was equal to the width of the wire mesh I had (36"). I wanted to do as little cutting of the mesh as there are so many cuts to be made with this small size of a mesh. The boards that I cut for the width I cut to 24". So you need (2) @ 36" and (2) @ 24". So if you get wire mesh that is a different width, just modify your cuts to suit.

I used 2 1/2" #8 deck screws (you can use whatever 2 1/2" screws you want to use) to screw the frame together. Use a clamp to keep the wood flush at the top/bottom and make sure to predrill the holes so that the wood won't split. I used 2 screws at each corner.

I basically wrapped the outside of the cage with the wire mesh. Stapled it where I wanted it, keeping it tight at the bottom and loose at the top. I did NOT measure how much mesh to leave at the top, I just let it out enough until it looked pretty good. I also used a hammer to make sure that all of the staples were in all the way. I'm going to have to transport this over to my brother's house and don't want to have lots of places where it can catch on my clothes.

I then cut a few square pieces large enough for the ends (unrolled some mesh, put it over the end while pulling the arch as far as I could and cut it a bit larger). I then tacked the bottoms to the 2"x2" boards.

On the back, I tied the end piece to the arch, making sure that it was nice and rounded. I counted up 10 mesh spaces to where I would use wire to tie it and duplicated it on both sides (left and right of the back) so that the arch was symmetrical. The last tie point was at the top of the arch.

At the front, I only stapled it to the frame and then I cut away an arch that was 10" diameter (5" radius). The distance measured along the curve of the arch after it was cut, came out to be 15"....so I added 2" on both sides to fit around the 2"x2" frame (giving me 19"). I should have only used an extra 1 3/4" as 2" was a bit too much (so use 18 1/2" instead).

The entrance piece to the cage at the large end was 19" when it was flat (should have been 18 1/2" for a better fit). At the small end, it was 10" when it was flat. I cut away a square on both sides of the front end, large enough to make it fit around the 2"x2" boards that I used for the frame. I put the entrance piece in and tied it with wire at the front piece and the bottom piece. Then I finally wired the rest of the front shut.

Entrance.jpg

After it was secure at the ends, I trimmed away what I wanted gone, and bent down the sharp points. Basically closing the whole thing up so there were no openings. And again keeping as few places available to snag my clothes on when I transport it.

I cut a hole on the side of the cage large enough for me to get my hand/arm all the way in to the furthest parts of the cage (I didn't measure it. It was wider than it was high though). I then cut another piece of mesh about 2" larger on all sides. Wired it at the top to act as a hinge, and used a longer piece of wire for the lock at the bottom. That way I can get stuff in/out of the cage.

I then took some duck tape and put it around the entrance, so that the birds would know how to get into the trap.

Lastly, I found a few twigs laying around and put them into the corners so that the magpies would have perches, and keep quiet.....
Old 07-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Ok, well the final count this morning is 7....I can't believe how well this thing worked.

Thanks so much TreeGuy for your photos. They helped out so much to get this project built.

P1090247.jpg
Old 11-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Has anyone kept the tails from their magpies they've caught? I just started trapping them because I've found a use for the tails. So if you have any youd like to part with send me a PM.
And it's perfectly legal I checked with COs and they're registered pests the same as porcupine. No permits needed. Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Cat food works great for them but you have to bait outside the trap for a few days to get them comfortable with it. Then start baiting in the trap and the entrance way so they walk in. Candy wrappers work good (shiny ones) as an attractant. Also make little wire pockets you can stuff with old meat (not wild game) that helps them sick around.

Also if you get a few nice the cage around after you stop catching. Keep it off the ground too. That helps a lot, it's more inciting for them. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:45 PM

Wondering how many did you catch since July when you posted ?

Tags
bait, magpie, trap