Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM

I've never had a problem getting on, just knock on a few doors and ask, easy peasy. A six pack of beer offering never hurts either
Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depolloc View Post
There is access (foot access) on the SW corner of the Rez where the bow comes in. There, I've done my part. I don't have the exact location so you'll need to take a drive to find it. Not very safe though in my humble opinion. If anyone has any other access locations, I'd suggest posting them. Keeping it a secret is why access has become an issue in the 1st place on the Rez, and the reason that the community is able to make this a private lake. Let's try opening this puppy back up to "real" public access again. If we don't, greed will win.
If you want to open this res up why don't you give us some directions and a map because "keeping it a secret is why access has become an issue"
I have a spot, but I don't believe it to be legal. If it is and eveyone started using it, I'm sure it would be shut down just like the park.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:38 PM

No officers were in today - calling back tomorrow. Fun times listening to the dialling for dollars options and sadly there was no option to "Press 7 for information on access to Bearspaw Dam"...will call again tomorrow
Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM

I am happy to show up at the gate with a few people if something does get organized.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM

I was able to access the Rez by foot off of Springbank Heights Way last hard water season...don't know if there is still access but there was basically a public park that you could park at, and walk down to the Rez. Like I said, not the safest access though since the bank was really steep. Hopefly that helps out. I don't have any better info. You'll have to go for a drive. That's what I did. Hopefully others on AO have better info.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefreddie View Post
I am happy to show up at the gate with a few people if something does get organized.
X2
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM

X3
Old 02-04-2014, 06:45 PM

X4
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 PM

I thought there was a boat launch by the golf course up there I think eagle ridge ? I did some work out there years ago and swore there was one there
Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM

sorry golf course is springbank links and look up emerald bay calgary looks like a public launch area.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
sorry golf course is springbank links and look up emerald bay calgary looks like a public launch area.
That's where the gate is
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 PM

X5
Old 04-24-2018, 03:10 PM

I know this is a very outdated thread but I think it would make sense to post this here as it is relevant. Just wanted to share some updated info.

Recently, I've been looking for bodies of water that I can fish and go kayaking at and it brought me (back) to Bearspaw dam. I've actually accessed the dam in the same manner as the attachments in the first post - park at marker, walk to water. This was a few years ago. I wasn't ticketed that time.

Fast forward to today. I thought I'd get to the bottom of it as I realized how hard it was to find information about Bearspaw dam, so I sent an e-mail to Rocky View County's Parks Development Coordinator. We exchanged correspondences and it resulted in the attached PDF. He sent it to me and it's based on their records.

So the screen capture in the first post is legit, the area identified as parking and where the angler's sign post stands is Rocky View County land, which (and please correct me if I understood wrong) should be open to the public.

The problem though is the tiny strip of land between the high water mark (I had to Google what this is, and for those who don't know, apparently it's the mark on land that the water touches on it's highest point, i.e. high tide etc.) and the northeast edge of the Rocky View County land is owned by TransAlta. Hence Rocky View county doesn't condone access from this point. I was told that if you would like to access the dam from here, you would need to get clearance from TransAlta. I was given this number to call: (403) 267-7110. It's TransAlta's main switchboard. So if you're planning on going, I'd suggest talking to TransAlta first to get their permission instead of risking getting ticketed for trespassing.

One thing that caught my attention though is the strip adjacent to the northwest edge of the Rocky View County land. Seems like it's not privately owned. But it doesn't indicate that it's Rocky View County either. I wonder if that's a viable option. The 'Her Majesty the Queen' crownland on the otherside would've been nice but I guess this is the area people are indicating as closed off by private property gates and is inaccessible.

That's it folks. Even if this post didn't provide a viable hassle-free, no-permission-needed access point to Bearspaw, I hope this provides some clarity as to what you're dealing with in case you wanted to go here. I do share your sentiments though, someone needs to do something to give this place back to the people. I'd gladly take part if a movement is started.

I plan on talking to TransAlta next and see what they say. I'll keep you posted (if anyone's still following this thread that is).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bow River.pdf (225.5 KB, 249 views)
Old 04-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Thanks for sharing! Keep us updated.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:42 PM

I'm kinda thinking that if they want this reservoir to themselves at Bears Paw then a petition should be started to have the lake deemed no motors allowed. Just a thought. Never happen. We use to catch some nice lakers in there years ago before they built the community. We use to put my 12ft. aluminum in there
then they blocked our access. B-TARDS
Old 12-19-2018, 05:15 PM

Haven't seen anything on here about the recent news regarding Haskayne Park.
It should provide much needed access to public waters.

From Dec 17 Calgary Herald
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...rk-in-bearspaw

Quote:
The Haskayne family donated 35 hectares as well as $2 million toward the development of a pavilion building on the land.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...velopment.aspx

Quote:
Haskayne and Bearspaw Legacy Parks will be developed in concert early in the next decade.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:16 PM

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Sooo, I read years back, before the CP crossing was gated off from Bearspaw dam road, that once at the dam you are technically allowed to be so many feet above the high water mark. They can tell you to leave, but you have every right to be there since it’s municipal (?) Land. They don’t own the reservoir. Wont fish and wildlife chime in?surely they have a say don’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushNinja View Post
Sooo, I read years back, before the CP crossing was gated off from Bearspaw dam road, that once at the dam you are technically allowed to be so many feet above the high water mark. They can tell you to leave, but you have every right to be there since it’s municipal (?) Land. They don’t own the reservoir. Wont fish and wildlife chime in?surely they have a say don’t they?

I called the City of Calgary trying to see if they'd provide a point of access, or at least see how they'd respond to the inquiry.

I too was under the impression that the high water mark would be federally owned by the Crown like most other waterbodies.

They told me its leased by TransAlta, INCLUDING the high water mark.

Only legal option I was advised of was floating down from Cochrane. Told him I didn't own a jetboat to get back

Also asked about accessing via the park land thats owned by the City, was told that was not allowed; for liability reasons, even if I assumed responsibility/ liablility.

So seeing as I still don't own million dollar reservoir property or a jetboat, its fishing where the rest of us peasants fish. For another 5 or 10 or 50 years until the park access is built.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Are motor vehicles allowed on Bearspaw Reservoir ice?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Are motor vehicles allowed on Bearspaw Reservoir ice?

I’d say no. I’d take a quad out. Not sure how thick the ice is

Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Ice is 24” thick and can support a truck. I was asking if anyone knew if motor vehicles were legally allowed on the reservoir ice. I didn’t drive on today just in case it is not allowed.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Ice is 24” thick and can support a truck. I was asking if anyone knew if motor vehicles were legally allowed on the reservoir ice. I didn’t drive on today just in case it is not allowed.

Gotcha
Well there enough power boats on during the summer I wouldn’t see why you couldn’t take your truck on.
I’ve been wanting to get out- what are residents like out there? Is access clear? Or do some give a rough time?

Old 02-22-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushNinja View Post
Gotcha
Well there enough power boats on during the summer I wouldn’t see why you couldn’t take your truck on.
I’ve been wanting to get out- what are residents like out there? Is access clear? Or do some give a rough time?

Just anotherIMG] bit- is this the area? Looks like a sign no vehicles so probably not. Was there another area to drive in at? I bought a boat from the people at the lower right house. They said can launch from the drive in at upper right- see second photo. They said residents might say something but won’t bug you too much.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM

I’ve been working down by the OPs spot for the last few months and I can tell you people are using that access point for some time but they don’t allow vehicles to drive down so whatever you bring to fish in you have to carry it. Over the last week I’ve seen paddle boards, kayaks and small fishing boats access but they all walk.
Had some really nice whitecaps yesterday on it but folks were still out there.
Good luck.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:53 AM

The access from the original post is decent. I'd like to go back and fish here again, my question is; that water when you walk down to it, is it bow river, or resevoir? Fishing regulations are very different between the resevoir and the bow. Where is the line? This is the only access I could find to the resevoir, but am I even on the resevoir? Or is it Bow river waters? Can I use bait? Can I keep fish? Anyone? My research has turned up nothing...
Old 03-21-2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdoig13 View Post
The access from the original post is decent. I'd like to go back and fish here again, my question is; that water when you walk down to it, is it bow river, or resevoir? Fishing regulations are very different between the resevoir and the bow. Where is the line? This is the only access I could find to the resevoir, but am I even on the resevoir? Or is it Bow river waters? Can I use bait? Can I keep fish? Anyone? My research has turned up nothing...
Should follow the regs for the resevoir, I believe it would cover up to the dam

Going to walk in and check it out for the first time tomorrow if anyone wants to social distancing it there. Also wondering if anyone has been out recently and knows how thick the ice is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2020, 10:53 AM

Little late, but few days ago it was hovering around 2.5 feet thick off near the dam.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing4Trophies View Post
Little late, but few days ago it was hovering around 2.5 feet thick off near the dam.
Can you pm me where you accessed from? Any luck?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk