Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2023, 11:38 PM

Default Give this a little listen, Oliver Anthony

Oliver Anthony's new song, 38 year old young man singing with his guitar next to his tree stand. I'm pretty sure this is what country music should be now a days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSA-SY5Hro
Old 08-12-2023, 11:46 PM

Talk about a man’s life changing in one day!! He is everywhere right now. Spotify, instagram, X(Twitter), Facebook. What a great relatable song.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:47 AM

Could be the start of a movement.
Old 08-13-2023, 09:23 AM

Good tune, I think a lot of people can relate to it these days with the cost of living….
Old 08-13-2023, 09:37 AM

Unreal tune. Good on ya Oliver.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:29 PM

great tune, ,definately a start of something big
Old 08-13-2023, 05:41 PM

He is striking a chord with many who never thought they’d feel it. Tough times for too many.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:01 PM

Alright I was a sport and listened to it all the way to the end. It does have some lyrics that apply to present day

But in the end it’s just your normal country song crying about stuff. I bet he has at least 3 songs about a woman leaving him and probably another 5 about getting drunk trying to forget them

To each their own but it’s not for me
Old 08-13-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Alright I was a sport and listened to it all the way to the end. It does have some lyrics that apply to present day

But in the end it’s just your normal country song crying about stuff. I bet he has at least 3 songs about a woman leaving him and probably another 5 about getting drunk trying to forget them

To each their own but it’s not for me

Play it backwards and he gets all his stuff back.
Old 08-13-2023, 06:24 PM

The number of people unhappy with the way things are is increasing.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
He is striking a chord with many who never thought they’d feel it. Tough times for too many.
^this
Old 08-13-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
The number of people unhappy with the way things are is increasing.
I just wonder, is that really true?
Previous generations had it tougher than most of us do. I sometimes think that people have just evolved into complaining more. If one looks around and thinks about it, seems to me that so many people can't make conversation unless they are complaining. I believe people used to endure more hardship and make the best of it. I blame social media partly, but just seems it's so easy to whine about things now-a-days instead of making constructive conversation or suggest improvements.

Just my thoughts.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:33 PM

Every day that goes by taxes increase ( where does it stop? At 100%?).
If more people are fed up everyday then at some point something will happen.
Almost everyone I talk to is fed up.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Every day that goes by taxes increase ( where does it stop? At 100%?).
If more people are fed up everyday then at some point something will happen.
Almost everyone I talk to is fed up.
Yep, it's not just price increases but more regulations that weren't there before. Government isn't working for the voters, works for the billionaires.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:03 AM

Default New song breaking the internet

This song and video are great. Man you can feel this dudes pain and frustration. The lyrics are a bit cryptic, but when you know that Washington DC is north of Richmond VA it makes sense

Bet alot of my fellow Albertans feel the same way as this guy.

https://youtu.be/sqSA-SY5Hro

Hope you guys enjoy.
Old 08-14-2023, 02:39 AM

A song so nice, it gets posted about twice.

John Daly on the geetar. Yeehaw.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Previous generations had it tougher than most of us do. I sometimes think that people have just evolved into complaining more. If one looks around and thinks about it, seems to me that so many people can't make conversation unless they are complaining. I believe people used to endure more hardship and make the best of it. I blame social media partly, but just seems it's so easy to whine about things now-a-days instead of making constructive conversation or suggest improvements.

Just my thoughts.
Not really. Food Banks in Edmonton and Calgary are hurting bad. Inflation has taken real big bites outta peoples’ incomes. If you are below a certain level of income, or on a fixed income, the last few years have seen your margin of comfort disappear. Many many people are experiencing the hardest times of their lives.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:16 AM

9 million views in 5 days. Nice.

Great song. Like another user said, once you realize what's North of Richmond it makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NkyWpKu41c

Tim Pool breaks it down for y'all who can't understand the lyrics.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:44 AM

Default I can’t say that your wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post

Just my thoughts.
Our generation has had it better than any generation before and most likely any generation after. We have had it to good for to long and men are now weak. We have had it so good we are being complacent about what we have to lose and what we are going to lose.
There aren’t too many SJW’s in impoverished countries.

However I think this song rings pretty true for the path we are on.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:33 AM

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”
Old 08-14-2023, 11:46 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Not really. Food Banks in Edmonton and Calgary are hurting bad. Inflation has taken real big bites outta peoples’ incomes. If you are below a certain level of income, or on a fixed income, the last few years have seen your margin of comfort disappear. Many many people are experiencing the hardest times of their lives.
While this is all true, I don't think it really is a lot worse for the poor today than years past. The only difference in years past is the poor simply starved off in the distance more where as now there are more safety nets keeping track. The simple fact is we have so many more people now and all have insta access to social media so we see it in as a constant "in your face" sort of thing so it is harder to ignore..

Whatever the case, the song is good!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-14-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
While this is all true, I don't think it really is a lot worse for the poor today than years past. The only difference in years past is the poor simply starved off in the distance more where as now there are more safety nets keeping track. The simple fact is we have so many more people now and all have insta access to social media so we see it in as a constant "in your face" sort of thing so it is harder to ignore..

Whatever the case, the song is good!
I disagree with you a fair bit.

Middle class is being squeezed like never before.

Rent on a 2 bedroom crummy apartment is a nice mortgage payment in the major centres. How much have groceries and utilities gone up. Gas for cars. On and on.

I think many of us, myself included, are just out of touch with having to squeeze pennies really hard.

For the younger generation, as well as lower income earners, it’s pretty damn bad, Bob.

I see it with the kids at my school.

The principal just turns a blind eye to me when I send food home with kids.

It is heartbreaking seeing kids whose cupboards are bare.

I’ve been doing this gig for some time. When you are a food studies teacher, all the teachers have you on speed dial for kids who are hungry. It is worse now than at any point in my career. I also see the number of families our staff donates Christmas hampers to, and I am part of the group that drops them off. So sad to see the conditions many live in.

That is not to denigrate stories of past hardships, as I know things weren’t easy for many growing up, but it’s not good right now for a whole lotta people struggling to get by.

Last edited by sns2; 08-14-2023 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I disagree with you a fair bit.

Middle class is being squeezed like never before.

Rent on a 2 bedroom crummy apartment is a nice mortgage payment in the major centres. How much have groceries and utilities gone up. Gas for cars. On and on.

I think many of us, myself included, are just out of touch with having to squeeze pennies really hard.

For the younger generation, as well as lower income earners, it’s pretty damn bad, Bob.

I see it with the kids at my school.

The principal just turns a blind eye to me when I send food home with kids.

It is heartbreaking seeing kids whose cupboards are bare.

I’ve been doing this gig for some time. When you are a food studies teacher, all the teachers have you on speed dial for kids who are hungry. It is worse now than at any point in my career. I also see the number of families our staff donates Christmas hampers to, and I am part of the group that drops them off. So sad to see the conditions many live in.

That is not to denigrate stories of past hardships, as I know things weren’t easy for many growing up, but it’s not good right now for a whole lotta people struggling to get by.
To be clear I am not saying things are now sliding backwards for the middle class... That is obvious of course.

I am just saying the truly poor are not more poor. They are simply still poor as there has been poor in the past. If anything, in todays day and age they have minimal safety nets that were not available to them in years gone and making being truly poor in our society slightly more survivable (do not read that as comfortable because it is a crappy existence to be sure).

I think you are right when you say...
Quote:
That does not mean it is fine and okay and we just need to learn to spend less, but it is not something new in society. We are just seeing it in our own back yards more and it is freaking us out (as it should).
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23

Last edited by tirebob; 08-14-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
To be clear I am not saying things are now sliding backwards for the middle class... That is obvious of course.

I am just saying the truly poor are not more poor. They are simply still poor as there has been poor in the past. If anything, in todays day and age they have minimal safety nets that were not available to them in years gone and making being truly poor in our society slightly more survivable (do not read that as comfortable because it is a crappy existence to be sure).

I think you are right when you say...

That does not mean it is fine and okay and we just need to learn to spend less, but it is not something new in society. We are just seeing it in our own back yards more and it is freaking us out (as it should).
Agree with most everything.

Poor is poor. Hungry is hungry.

Make no mistake though, Bob. The price crunch is just rolling outta the driveway. Hang on to your hats.

Live within means.

Delay gratification unless you’re really in a position to afford it fellas.