Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM

Default Would night lights work for Perch?

http://www.blueoceantackle.com/squid_lights.htm

hmmm... Looks really tempting!

"Automatic feeders are installed adjacent to bright lights
along the perimeter of ponds. At night the lights concentrate large numbers of
fish in the vicinity of the feeders which then disperse food frequently throughout
the night." http://aquanic.org/species/yellow-pe...ellowperch.pdf

"Perch feed by sight and need light to locate prey. Thus, they commence foraging only after sunlight penetrates the water depths. They may feed off and on throughout the day, but usually there are pronounced periods of foraging activity once in the morning and once in the afternoon. As night approaches the schools disperse and the fish are inactive until the following morning. As a result, perch are rarely caught at night."
http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/iafish/ylp-fish.html

It does seem obvious...I rarely have caught a perch after dark...how to get them to bite all night?

While not legal in public waters...it would be legal in private waters...

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 07-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Is that even legal here???lol
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
Is that even legal here???lol
I would think that "Lake Sundance" would fall under the 'PRIVATE WATER' classification and I would imagine that 'ANYTHING GOES' considering the 'will' to remove them from that body of water. My feeling is that they will NEVER be removed completely and will continue to flourish. From what I've heard, the TROUT are getting 'RATHER LARGE', even though they were 'PRETTY BIG' when I used to see them under lights in there and in Lake Bonavista.

/Cheers
Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

ha. if you set up lights like that you will have to set up something for the mosquitoes too. that was the worst i had ever been attacked by them. And do you really want to keep fishing for them all night?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Wow Sundance, I am truly impressed by your dedication to rid that lake of it's pesky aliens!!

I have been wanting to take you up on one of your invited fish hunts but with 3 kids & a busy wife it's been all but impossible so far

Sounds like a fun way to get some fishing in for me and maybe the kids!
So you must be putting a dent in the popu;ation at least; is that resulting in bigger perch yet? Also, can a guy bring a pontoon boat for one of those gatherings?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:18 PM

dont know about perch but we used them in florida and it brought everything in blugill,bass,shellcrackers,catfish,crappie,chain pickeral.....but the big predators might have been there due to the concentration of smaller fish...not sure tho...it did bring bugs in tho and that might of attracted the smaller fish and so on and so on
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
I would think that "Lake Sundance" would fall under the 'PRIVATE WATER' classification and I would imagine that 'ANYTHING GOES' considering the 'will' to remove them from that body of water. My feeling is that they will NEVER be removed completely and will continue to flourish. From what I've heard, the TROUT are getting 'RATHER LARGE', even though they were 'PRETTY BIG' when I used to see them under lights in there and in Lake Bonavista.

/Cheers
Unfortunately...trout are not getting large. They are shrinking.

Many people mistake the fact we have stocked some larger trout as of late as a sign they have grown big. In fact they grew big at the hatchery. Now they are losing weight but holding their own it seems. Not giant fatties but more of a nicer proportioned trout.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

I meant to ask you the other night sundance, do hateries even have a program for breeding browns ? I know they are technically a 'foriegn fish'.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM

hey sundance, i'll bring a couple of different light set-ups next to try out, and i've got this new mossy spray from a supplier to try out also it's called croc bloc highly effective.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Being as lake Sundance is a private community, do I need to be a guest of one of the community members to fish this lake? Somehow I am getting tired of the bulls and cutts in the Highwood and need a break.
My wife and I would love a chance to take some big fat perch home.