Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 AM

Default Trip expenses split

What is a fair way to split up fishing trip expenses ?
Here is a scenario, 3 guys taking a trip to the coast, hauling boat and gear.
All handle their own single room accom.
One fellow owns the boat, all gear and his truck for the travel.
Is it fair for him to ask the other 2 to split the fuel or should he suggest driver handles 20% and other 2 (passengers) handle 40% ea ?
Or should fuel be a 3 way even share ?

TBark
Old 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
What is a fair way to split up fishing trip expenses ?
Here is a scenario, 3 guys taking a trip to the coast, hauling boat and gear.
All handle their own single room accom.
One fellow owns the boat, all gear and his truck for the travel.
Is it fair for him to ask the other 2 to split the fuel or should he suggest driver handles 20% and other 2 (passengers) handle 40% ea ?
Or should fuel be a 3 way even share ?

TBark
I don't know what is RIGHT, but if I were on that trip I'd suggest that the other passenger and I split all the gas. The driver is contributing the truck, the wear and tear on it, plus the boat and equipment. He could go without you guys. As A thank you I would at least pick up his gas.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't know what is RIGHT, but if I were on that trip I'd suggest that the other passenger and I split all the gas. The driver is contributing the truck, the wear and tear on it, plus the boat and equipment. He could go without you guys. As A thank you I would at least pick up his gas.
This .....

Mack
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Oki is on the right track.

If that don't work. When we would go sledding to the mountains(3 guys to a truck), we used to pool a pot of 20's. When fuel time came for the truck, it was purchased by the pot. When the pot ran out, everyone threw another 40 bucks in. The guy who drove and hauled the sleds was offered his suppers at the restaurant paid for or one of his nights at the motel would be paid for in lieu of his wear and tear. Worked good for us but we all got along well anyways.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 AM

Depends how far of a trip. The way we always do it is everything is an even split. If you're only travelling 2 or 3 hours the wear and tear on your truck is pretty much negligible to us.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM

Split the fuel 3 ways for the truck to get there and back. The other two guys pay all the fuel for the boat since gear, boat, insurance, wear and tear, etc is supplied by the captain.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM

When our group goes on trips, the driver of the truck pays nothing in gas, and usually gets a dinner too. Sharing a boat should be the same thing. So if the driver owns the boat then he pays nothing in gas for the trip and gets some of the expenses covered. With our group, the transportation is rotated to whichever vehicle is best suited, so it works out evenly over the years.

If one person is unhappy with the arrangement, then switch places.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Split the fuel 3 ways for the truck to get there and back. The other two guys pay all the fuel for the boat since gear, boat, insurance, wear and tear, etc is supplied by the captain.
Same on truck supplied wear and tear.
I think gas should be split by other 2 people.
Who is driving all the way, probably the owner of the truck I would think.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Presuming that the other guys never reciprocate in later years by taking their truck and boat, all expenses at least split equally at the least.

If these guys are buds and switch equipment obligations year to year, that is the best, but I appreciate that not everyone has the truck, boat, camping and fishing gear, so appreciate what you are getting and SHOW IT.

After a while it gets tiring supplying everything for guys who really kick in nothing.

I took a fellow to the Coast, and even supplied the food, bait, rods, tent, camping and boat gas. All I asked was that he pay the ferry and vehicle fuel bill on the way back.

He never had been salmon fishing, never had been on the salt before, had no clue about down riggers, no clue about tides, no clue about bottom fish, or had any idea on how to rig the anchovies. SOME GUYS WOULD THINK that what he got was a huge bonus on information and learning curve alone, let alone the costs I incurred.

What was his reply? "You told me that the gas and ferry would only cost about $300 and its a lot more than that." (Fuel and ferry had gone up that year)

After that he never did reciprocate with ANYTHING at all at his expense. Not even a birthday card.

Now a couple of years later he says to me that he would really like to go salmon fishing with me again, and what a great time it was. REALLY!!! HOW ABOUT I JUST SIGN YOU A CHEQUE FOR $3,500.00 and you go find your way to do it yourself? (you see, that is what a guided trip costs roughly)

Needless to say P. M. has never been invited to go fishing or hunting again. To this day I think he believed he DESERVED TO BE WAITED ON HAND AND FOOT AND WALLET.

Drewski
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Assuming that the other 2 guys cannot reciprocate......

Let's see, I'm invited on a trip to the coast to fish for salmon and all I have to bring is a change of clothes. To ensure that I get invited back, I would gladly pay for half of the gas for the truck and boat. I'd even pick up the bill for the truck owner's meals on the way there and back. Once we're there, he covers his own expenses.

Compare this to the cost of a guided fishing trip.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:32 AM

My 2¢ . . . the two who do not own the truck, boat, gear should be paying for fuel and other associated incidentals (squirt juice, oil, etc.): especially on a big trip like this.

For short, quick, trips I don't think it is necessary to do it this way, as it will be easier for the other two reciprocate over time.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 PM

To me, it really depends on the relationship of the three people. Good friends, it should all balance out as per my personal experiences below. If it a group of general friends or aquaintances (invited friend brings his brother or cousin etc), I would offer to cover the wear & tear as per your suggestion or at the very least a thank you gift like a good bottle of their favorite or a gift card to an outdoorsy type store.

I go through his every year as the host of a guys fishing trip to North Western Ontario (1900km one way). I own the truck & boat and it's my families cabin that we stay at for the week.

As we take off, we all throw $400-500 in a pot (with top ups as required) to cover fuel, hotels while travelling, boat gas, bait, groceries, propane for the cabin, etc. Everyone is on thier own for booze and travel meals.

As the "host", I'm going regardless so I don't consider the wear and tear as an expense. I bought the boat and truck to be used and enjoyed by my lonesome, or even better, with family and/or buddies. Heck, just getting away from work for a week of fishing is worth the wear & tear alone.

In the 8-10 trips I've done, I've recieved gift cards as a thanks, any left over pooled money goes towards the next oil change, etc. The point is, is that I invite good friends for a good time with no expectation for covering wear & tear on my equipment. On the flip side, these same friends invite me to hunt on thier families land, I get thank you beers or bottles, I get invited to Oiler games (still considered as a thank you even though they suck at the moment). In the end, it all works out, probably becuase I only extend an invitation to good friends who appreciate the invite and will reciprocate the gesture in one way or another.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:

X3
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM

If he contributes truck, boat and equipment there's no way he's paying any gas AND he's catching breaks elsewhere...ie, you two cover beer, groceries, etc.

If it's his boat, he's also likely providing lots of knowledge and spending more time getting it set up on the trip.

If I was passenger I would be paying for a lot more than gas.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
This. It's the least I would do.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Buddy with the boat can leave his wallet at home for the entire trip.
What a gift, a friend with a boat willing to go chase Salmon. Where do I sign up?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Default We did a Rupert trip like this last year

didn't want to take my old farm truck on a 12 hour trip so a friend with a new Toyota volunteered. Don and I paid for all gas to rupert and back and bought the truck owner dinner/lunch. We shared driving in 2-2.5 hour intervals.
The captain had a 32 foot boat and we paid for all gas for boat and groceries, supplies etc. I brought my foodsaver although captain had one on board. We had 5 days of salmon and rock fish and it cost us each under $1000 for everything since captain of boat had all fishing equipment. Cheapest 5 day salmon trip ever and some days we had whales all around us in mouth of Work channel.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Default B.o.a.t

Bring On Another Thousand

Jamie nailed it...Friend with boat and gear gets covered.
He will no doubt be taking the helm and the other two mates get most of the fishing fun...

End of the day if the two mates view it that way they get invited to do it again.

Cheers
my .02
Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
What a gift, a friend with a boat willing to go chase Salmon. Where do I sign up?
X4!

I need more friends like Jamie. Lol! I'm usually the guy with the boat. When I tag along with someone with a boat, I would gladly pay for all the gas.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My truck, my boat, I pay for my room and meals for myself, the rest pay their way plus the fuel for the truck and boat. Appreciation for the wear and tear on the truck and boat.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 PM

If your all friends and do a lot of outdoors together year after year.
I would split it all 3 ways.Because the next following year it might be the other guys truck etc.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM

If I knew someone with a boat and knowhow to catch salmon he sure as hell
Wouldn't be paying for gas.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:12 PM

I have not given it much thought as I'm usually the guy with the boat, truck and gear. We usually split cost and I'm happy with that. I don't expect anything more or beyond that.

So, tomorrow, for the first time in years, my boat is staying in the garage .... feels strange ....

My cousin invited me over to his neck of the woods tomorrow and he is hauling his boat out. Makes sense because he is closer, and he will be driving his truck and we are using his boat ....... to me that means I pick up the gas and buy coffees/lunch or breakfast. In my mind, it's what makes sense.

Anyone who has ever been the guy with the boat and/or truck knows almost every trip something gets damaged, broken or worn out and cost of ownership between insurance, fuel, wear and tear and depreciation on your truck/boat is expensive. Maybe the guy with the toys is the dummy ....lol.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I agree with this.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
If your all friends and do a lot of outdoors together year after year.
I would split it all 3 ways.Because the next following year it might be the other guys truck etc.
Wow ,I've been on the wrong side of the fence. all ways splitting
I have a truck and a 20 ft boat with down riggers and all the gear !
Anyone out there want to go to Cold lake for a day trip from Edmonton and catch some Lakers.
Must be willing to pay for all the gas in truck and boat.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:30 AM

I think if you are asking this question, you should see a doctor and check your x and y chromosomes.......
Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Anyone out there want to go to Cold lake for a day trip from Edmonton and catch some Lakers.
Even if the offer is not excepted by the driver it should always be offered.

Mack
Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I would if I lived in Edmonton.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I have not given it much thought as I'm usually the guy with the boat, truck and gear. We usually split cost and I'm happy with that. I don't expect anything more or beyond that.

So, tomorrow, for the first time in years, my boat is staying in the garage .... feels strange ....

My cousin invited me over to his neck of the woods tomorrow and he is hauling his boat out. Makes sense because he is closer, and he will be driving his truck and we are using his boat ....... to me that means I pick up the gas and buy coffees/lunch or breakfast. In my mind, it's what makes sense.

Anyone who has ever been the guy with the boat and/or truck knows almost every trip something gets damaged, broken or worn out and cost of ownership between insurance, fuel, wear and tear and depreciation on your truck/boat is expensive. Maybe the guy with the toys is the dummy ....lol.
I totally agree with the last paragraph. I took a friend fishing and at the end of the day, he slapped a $20 bill on the dash like he was my sugar daddy. Not sure if he knew I just spent $100 for truck diesel and $60 for gas for my big jet boat. It's ok though because I knew he didn't have much money and I would have gone fishing by myself that day anyways. It was nice to have a fishing partner and someone to help launch and trailer the boat.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

I'm with Jamie on this one