Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I probably seem like a partition marketer at this point but I had the same dilemma, if your rifle groups them well give them a shot, expansion up close without the explosive effect of the BT and better hydrostatic chock at long range than the AB.
Ive had great luck with partitions.
From deer to moose. As long as my new 7mm mag shoots them well thats what ill be shooting out of it.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:31 AM

Myself and a friend have used the 129grABLR in the 6.5x55, and it works well for deer and moose. My hunting partner uses the 130gr Accubond in his 6.5x55 for both deer and moose. I can't say that I have seen a huge difference in performance on game with muzzle velocities between 2700fps and 2850fps, and all shots under 200 yards.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Myself and a friend have used the 129grABLR in the 6.5x55, and it works well for deer and moose. My hunting partner uses the 130gr Accubond in his 6.5x55 for both deer and moose. I can't say that I have seen a huge difference in performance on game with muzzle velocities between 2700fps and 2850fps, and all shots under 200 yards.
I think the standard velocities of the 6.5x55 help keep the accubond long range from shattering at high impact velocities making it ideal in the Swede. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Yah that’s where my 7-08 will sit (or just lower). I was hoping the softer nose in the LR would make a better wound channel

If it’s the same as the normal AB I might pass on the LRs. The Partitions sound great but wish they had a tip and weren’t over my cringe limit of $1 each
Old 11-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Mine were handloads using RL22.
I definitely dont feel a 168gr .284 premium bullet leaving the barrel at 3050fps is light for elk.
The elk ive shot with my 280rem with 140gr ammo died just like they were supposed to.
Hi 7mmremmag, I may have mentioned this but I do no load my own shells, never have and never will. Again everything I have shot at using Accubonds dropped dead or didn't go very far after it was shot, like the typical adrenaline 50 yard sprint "Dead On It's Feet".

I believe that loading your own cartridges is an Art Form and I have a lot of respect for people that load their own. My philosophy on which ammo to use is a simple one: Find a bullet your rifle loves so you are deadly accurate, buy 4 boxes with the same lot number and go hunting lol.

When I purchased my 300 WM, I tried several different cartridges to include Barnes VOR-TX TTSX BT in 180 gr., Hornady Superformance SST in 180 gr. Federal Premium Vital-Shock Trophy Bonded Tip in 180 Gr and ABLR's in 190 gr. My rifle liked the ABLR's the best to the tune of .25 MOA @200 yards from the bench. and the other cartridges had inferior velocities and energy compared to the ABLR's. Since I had used Accubonds in the past and liked the results and because of the great velocities and energy that the ABLR's generate are superior my decision was a simple one to make
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I think it’s really smart you reduce the velocity of the ABLR my own terminal performance issues were at shots under 100 yards with 2900-3100fps impact velocities, understanding the construction of your bullet is key to getting maximum performance, for me the ABLR always performed excellent at lower-moderate velocities often associated with extended ranges, probably what they were originally designed for.
Yeah agreed, exactly what the ABLR was designed for,...
Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
Yah I am limited by my magazine so .020 is as close as I can get, it stacks the 140 BTs at max book charge so I can’t complain about the accuracy. I just wish they didn’t mess deer up so bad up close, then I look at the normal AB and if I see a deer at 300 yards, the AB seems to lack the hydrostatic punch to flop a deer. I’ve just had to track those deer for longer then I would like. Maybe better off shoulder shooting them. I donno.
I am a huge fan, and practitioner of the high shoulder shot, (for broad side & quartering towards me). Wreaks havoc on the CNS = instant incapacity,... sure a bit more meat is ruined, (sometimes) but no tracking, and no lost quarry.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Make sure barrel twist is fast enough

I’ve got a 270 Rem and last year I loaded up some 150 SST fr Hornady. At 100 yds it grouped great but by the time it got to 200 yds the groups had opened up way past the 1MOA I got at 100 yds. So I ran all the measurements on a bullet twist calculator and found that the SST’s were marginal with the 12” twist that most 270’s come with. Aha found the answer to my problem thanks to google.

On these low drag bullets make sure you do your homework first before you decide to go with them bc they may work great at 100 yds but possibly not so great at further distances. It’d be a shame to line up on a trophy at a greater distance than you’ve proven the performance of a high bc bullet.

I’ve had the same conundrum with my 338. I got some 250 gr Barnes bullets and they grouped well under 1 MOA at 100 yds but by the time they got out to 300 yds they were about 14” group and about 2 ft lower than ballistics said they should have been.

Ive got some Accubond LR 150gr in 270. I just finished measuring their length and they are longer than my sst 150’s so I know without even trying that they won’t work in my 270.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 PM

Default Ablr test .270 win

So far i try nosler ballistic tip hunting 130g, E-tip 130g and ABLR 150g... they all group well, best group was done by ABLR.. 100yrds about 1/2 to 3/4", 6-7-8" at 1000yrds... i just started reloading and having fun already, 200 rounds, 3 different type of bullet and few different recipes and best one was ABLR 150g. Never kill an animal but i'll try hard this season(2019) factory loads are all over the place like 3.245-246-247-250-251, nosler data says 3.340, which is doesn't fit in magazine, so i go 3.320", grouped well, my next load going to be ABLR 150 h4831sc, cci primer, 3.250, will see how well those loads going to shots..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5E746BFF-055B-4202-862A-357AF2FC6757.jpg (29.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundergrey View Post
Yah that’s where my 7-08 will sit (or just lower). I was hoping the softer nose in the LR would make a better wound channel

If it’s the same as the normal AB I might pass on the LRs. The Partitions sound great but wish they had a tip and weren’t over my cringe limit of $1 each
Load the Hornady 139 interlocks, kill just fine with the speed of your 7mm-08 rifle, inexpensive to boot......FS
Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Great shooting Beeman3!

What barrel do you have on your custom 300 and are they hand loads?
26" Brux, custom reamer used. Yes they are hand loads, using Nosler brass.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Your 7-08 is close in performance to a 270 win. I have shot a few elk with my 270 win using 140 accubonds and haven’t had them go farther than 40 yards. It’s all about shot placement. Most shots were pass thru and one stuck in the offside hide. I had a 7 rem mag that I was shooting the 168 ablr’s out of but I couldn’t get anywhere close to the book velocity that I wanted, all powders I tried where well below the speeds I wanted. I sold that gun and have another 7 rem mag now, apparently I can’t stop buying 7 rem mags. I have had good performance with the 160 accubonds on elk, moose and even got lucky and got a cougar. The accubond is a great bullet for all reasonable hunting ranges and very close to the on game performance of the partition. I like the vld or the eldx for long range better than the ablr, but I am not much of a long range hunter.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:45 PM

I just switch over from 160gr hornedy sst to 168 Winchester ABLR. So far so good...

Winchester ABLR vs Nosler ABLR... Anyone tried both and is there a big difference?

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Accubond vs Accubond LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic99 View Post
I just switch over from 160gr hornedy sst to 168 Winchester ABLR. So far so good...

Winchester ABLR vs Nosler ABLR... Anyone tried both and is there a big difference?

Sent from my LG-M320G using Tapatalk

Accubond or Accubond LR refer to the bullet, both of which are proprietary to Nosler.

Incidentally, both Nosler and Winchester offer loaded ammunition tipped with Accubond and Accubond LR bullets.

I believe the OP was asking about bullet terminal performance, rather than loaded ammunition performance.

To answer the OP’s question, I have some experience with both the Accubond and LR versions. I think that the Accubond is the better bullet across impact velocities ranging from 3100+ FPS to 1900 or so. At and below 1900 FPS the LR version may see better terminal performance. Also note that the bottom end velocity listed by Nosler for the Accubond is 1800, while the LR is 1300, if memory serves me correctly. Although tempting on paper, an impact velocity of 1300 is pretty darn slow for hunting, and energy would also be low.

I am getting better performance and accuracy out of the ELDX than the Accubond LR, with still enough velocity to keep me over 1800 FPS out well past 600 yds in my 6.5 Creedmoor. That’s more than enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I used 168gr ABLR's in my 7mm rem mag 3 years ago on a cow elk.
I was pushing them at 3050fps. I shot her twice behind the front shoulder at 220yds.
Maximum penetration was 6-7". Both bullets appeared at have exploded upon impact.
I did recover her after a lengthy tracking job, although she was not dead and I had to shoot her again.
I havnt shot them since. I kinda felt like I bought into the long range gimmick and they sold me with their fancy advertising, when really I dont even hunt long range. Ive never shot an animal over 400yds.
I am using partitions right now and have no intentions on changing.
Good to know. I was considering them, but will stick to 160NP's at 3300fps from a 7mm bee ... mine shoot the 140gr ttsx really well at 3450fps and have apparently anchored elk according to the previous owner