Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Custom Build Opinion - Winchester 88 in 338 Federal

So as this place is full of some good info and some "strong" opinions at times, I thought I'd ask for a few! And thought it best to start my own thread.

Now why screw up a perfectly good Winchester 88??!! There's a story to it. In the late 60s my father purchased new an 88 in 308 out in Calgary. He was supposed to use the cash to purchase a wash machine at the time. Money was tight and Mom was not impressed that he came home with the rifle. She hated the rifle actually.

Fast forward 50 years, Dad raised a big family out in SK on the farm, the rifle has been used on the farm, I've taken it hunting myself in my late teens. But about 2 years ago, one of the family members decided he'd borrow (take without asking!) the rifle and sell it to support some of his "habits". The rifle is assumed gone, nobody has seen it in the local area. (all though it still might turn up)

Now this area in central SK has an ever increasing moose population, such that they've opened it up for draw, my sister was drawn last year. My Dad at 71 figured he'd like to put in for the draw over the next few years, as we still make sausage on the farm yearly and shooting a moose close to home would sure be handy.

Hence my quest to surprise him with some moose medicine as a gift, and I think an old 88 as a custom build in 338 Federal would make fine moose medicine.

I've started on the path already by purchasing a pre 64 88 in 308. I was going to go the simple route and have a rebore job done. I spoke to Mr Ron Smith and had a nice conversation with him. But as he's now 84 he said, and doesn't want to take on too much work, I'd have to wait until the new year for him to start. But my goal is to have the rifle for the end of September.

So this leads me to rebarreling. Which also leads me to a higher cost but more options for the build. As I think it's always prudent to get more than one opinion my plan was to speak to 3 smiths about the build and then make a decision. I've already had a nice chat with High River Gunworx, he'll be on my list once I get the details of the build finalized.

So from past experiences what other smiths could you suggest for a build like this?

So far this is what I've decided.

New Stock with a nicely done recoil pad (ideally I'd like laminate but Boyds no longer stocks them it seems)
Slightly longer barrel (23"?) with a slightly heavier contour
No plans for sights on the barrel
Barrel Nicely engraved with new caliber markings
Setup with a nice variable low power Leupold

We'll start with that. I'll have more questions about stainless vs 4140 vs blued vs cerakote vs Electroless Nickel etc as we go.

Note that I actually work at a good sized machine shop as a mechanical engineer so could probably participate in the process somewhat if needed or wanted. But designing downhole tools and being a smith are not quite the same!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:47 PM

great choice for cartridge, if I had to limit my choice to only one do it all rifle, it would be chambered in 338 Federal. one other thought, I tried to imagine what a full stock rifle with a Winchester 88 action would look like, but I come up empty. maybe somebody can photoshop it? don't know if they exist, never did see one.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:10 AM

Found one! Looks pretty classy, but a bit too fancy I think for the build I'm trying to do.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:28 AM

I'd like a nice finish on the rifle, I don't want a stainless barrel with a blued action. But would consider a "stainless look". The way I see it here's my options.....

Electroless Nickel, (wouldn't matter if I used a stainless barrel) would leave a matte finish, but it's bullet proof, but .002 - .004 thick so the barrel bore would be an issue, have to find out of we can mask the bore. But I think the action would be fine done in pieces.

Liquid Nitriding - not a coating but .003 - .006 deep, 56 - 62 HRC - certainly wouldn't scratch it! But once it's nitrided it's not coming off as it's actually into the metal grain, and barrel could not be stainless

Traditional Blueing - would be a classic look, easier availability, not sure what a reblue looks like and if the new barrel would match the reblued action

Cerakote - no experience but I've seen results that look quite impressive from a guy in town here. Not sure how robust it would be, but everything would match perfectly and it wouldn't matter what I used for a barrel....
Old 04-26-2019, 08:56 PM

Dyed in the wool Walnut/Blued guy for years, have become a fan of the Stainless/Synthetic. I just don't feel as bad with tough use on the latter.

I quite like the laminates also, but then I like the stainless on top of them.

You have a very good idea what you want, have fun when you settle on the final product.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM
Banned

sounds like you've already made up your mind........but why go to all that work/expense? .308 is all kinds of enough power for mr. moose.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
I'd like a nice finish on the rifle, I don't want a stainless barrel with a blued action. But would consider a "stainless look". The way I see it here's my options.....

Electroless Nickel, (wouldn't matter if I used a stainless barrel) would leave a matte finish, but it's bullet proof, but .002 - .004 thick so the barrel bore would be an issue, have to find out of we can mask the bore. But I think the action would be fine done in pieces.

Liquid Nitriding - not a coating but .003 - .006 deep, 56 - 62 HRC - certainly wouldn't scratch it! But once it's nitrided it's not coming off as it's actually into the metal grain, and barrel could not be stainless

Traditional Blueing - would be a classic look, easier availability, not sure what a reblue looks like and if the new barrel would match the reblued action

Cerakote - no experience but I've seen results that look quite impressive from a guy in town here. Not sure how robust it would be, but everything would match perfectly and it wouldn't matter what I used for a barrel....

I have a few rifles (AR type) that have nitrided barrels and the finish is a very deep smooth black that is corrosion and scratch resistant. very attractive finish, but the problem is finding a company here in Canada which are familiar with applying the process to firearms. so far, the only company which I would trust with my guns are south of the border, MMI Trutek. never used their service, but they are doing work for BR competitors and other high end users.

also, stainless steel can be nitrided. it turns black just like chrome moly steel.

Last edited by barsik; 04-27-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-27-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
sounds like you've already made up your mind........but why go to all that work/expense? .308 is all kinds of enough power for mr. moose.
338 Federal is the 308 case necked up to take a .338 bullet. power is right there with the 30-06 and 7MM Remington magnum. I've always liked the base 308 case, and going up and down the caliber merry go round has given the shooting public some really good cartridges to choose from.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
338 Federal is the 308 case necked up to take a .338 bullet. power is right there with the 30-06 and 7MM Remington magnum. I've always liked the base 308 case, and going up and down the caliber merry go round has given the shooting public some really good cartridges to choose from.
hope you enjoy your build
Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM
Banned

A 358 model 88 might be your answer.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
hope you enjoy your build

actually it is kawibunga's build, I'm guilty of over posting in his thread.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
actually it is kawibunga's build, I'm guilty of over posting in his thread.
yeh, my bad. shouda read more closely. oh well, i'm sure he read it all!
Old 04-28-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
A 358 model 88 might be your answer.
Yup, just more traditional for the 88 platform
Old 04-28-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Found one! Looks pretty classy, but a bit too fancy I think for the build I'm trying to do.

I would do it in 358 Winchester, then you have a classic rifle with a classic cartridge.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:45 PM

I like the 358 for the simple fact one can plink with pistol bullets and trail boss powder . No slouch for moose as well
Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 AM

I could probably buy a 358 if I really wanted too, and I've considered that, but they are pricey! And you can't buy a 338, hence wanting to be a bit different. Think it would be cool to have 338 federal properly marked on the barrel.

I'm leaning towards a reblue. Think there's less risk of something going wrong. Be a classic look. Save the other ideas to test on something else like my bubbaized enfield.......

Make a couple more phone calls this week then hopefully drop off or ship the rifle next week to kick off the project.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:50 PM

You can rebarrel to either 338 or 358 for the same $ . Many years ago I rebarreled a win 88 to 25-284
Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM

Parts are showing up, got my stock (a little nicer and darker grain than what came on it) and custom heavier barrel. Original barrel was called a Winchester Feather Weight. I drew one up with a similar general profile but quite a bit heavier. End of the pipe is more like 790" instead of .530"........... Barrel was shipped 3 days after I sent the drawing! 338 in 1/9 twist.......... and got my Reamer too! Pics to follow.......
Old 07-04-2019, 09:04 AM

The stock that came with it wasn't original, should have checkering, plus it date stamped like 2010 or something, but I do like the new one better......

Old 07-04-2019, 09:08 AM

And the heavier barrel for comparison. Will have do do a bit of massaging of the stock to get a nice fit......