Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 AM

Default Ecoboost Catch Can

Well, its come to my attention that one of these can be rather beneficial to this engine, and since its now over warranty and my responsibility, I figured Id investigate.

Have any of you had good or bad exp with one (brand model, ect) ANd what to recommend?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:13 AM

I just drilled a tiny hole in my IC to let it drain.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 AM

I was inquiring about one last year, haven’t installed one yet, not sure if I will.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=329707
Old 11-17-2018, 11:45 AM

Trick is to go back to port injected vehicles, that way you don't need a Catch Can. The litte bit f oil being fed into the intake hurts nothing. My V10 uses 1/3 litre of oil in 16,000 K so the amount of oil is insignificant.

For those that insist on Direct injection like the Eco Boost the Catch Cans do work but make sure you get one that hooks to both PCV valves and has double or triple catch chambers and a built in drain. The need for the Catch Can can be determined by the amount of oil you see in your intake and how much oil you are using. If the PCV is feeding a significant amount of oil then the catch can will keep the back of your valves from getting carbon deposits on them.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:23 PM

Apparently the 2018 3.5 has dual injection.

“The engine features an all-new, Ford-first dual-direct and port fuel-injection system. Two injectors per cylinder – one mounted in the intake port where air enters the cylinder and one positioned inside the cylinder – work together to improve power output, efficiency, and emissions.”
Old 11-17-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
Apparently the 2018 3.5 has dual injection.

“The engine features an all-new, Ford-first dual-direct and port fuel-injection system. Two injectors per cylinder – one mounted in the intake port where air enters the cylinder and one positioned inside the cylinder – work together to improve power output, efficiency, and emissions.”
Really good move on Ford's part. Lexus and the other luxury brands have been doing that for a while. That will get rid of one of the major draw backs to direct injection. Still have the issue of ultra high fuel pressures but that doesn't usually cause a lot of problems.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:57 PM

I think the condensation problem only affects the 11-14 Ecoboost. 15 and up don’t have the problem. Just drill the 1/16” weep hole like everyone else on the forums have.
I never thought I would have had sludge in mine (2013) given how dry our climate is....I was wrong, lots drained out!