Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 PM

Last time I loaded a buck by myself I took off the tailgate, put his back feet in the bed, and deadlifted him in. Every suggestion in this thread is better.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 PM

This is how I like to do it
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Where did you find that bracket. Looks slick.
Found pictures online and had one fabricated. Added a hook to double line with a snatch block. cheap 3000 pound winch from Princess auto. No issues so far.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Default loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulienewbie29 View Post
Just curious on how you load your big game animals into your trucks??? We normally just put our legs into it and one big grunt want to find something easier for us. Moose deer elk.

There was a welder on the forum that made an HD hitch mounted 2 piece pole and hand winch. Pretty close to 10ft high. really great for skinning and loading in the back of the truck esp. if you have a canopy on. loaded both moose and elk with no problems. 2 man job for lowering the winch and pulling the elk in the back of the truck bed........FS
Old 11-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post

I have not seen a more beautiful picture is a long time.

Fantastic sir!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post

Superb !
Old 11-15-2018, 05:01 PM

-Billy Molls
Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Going to have to build a small crane for lifting animals into truck
Go to amazon and type in “truck crane” the one for $350 is pretty close to what I have if you are interested.

Ken
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 PM
Banned

If I can get the truck to em then deer go in one piece using a motorcycle tie down hooked around neck as I lift and cinch it one grunt at a time until enough front end is over the lip of tailgate then get the back end and big heave ho. Now...I do have matching holes covered with shipping tape in each tail light from big muley buck antlers consecutive years, a 200” the first year and a 190” the next. There’s a bit of a shift when you get that arse end flipped up on tailgate.

I’ll cry if someone rear ends me bad enough to ruin my tail lights.

If it’s elk or moose now it’s gutless method whether truck to it or not.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:54 PM

For my moose this year.... rope.. used my f350 to pull it onto a trailer .

For.my elk this year.. gutted....and halved it. Me and my friend deadlifted it into truck

For my big mulie buck this year. gutted.. rolled it into an icefishing sled.. me and friend lifted and slid into truck. Lol

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 11-15-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 PM

I used to use a fancy stand with crank that I would hook onto the hitch of my truck. It was heavy and took up a lot of space in the truck but overall it worked but ended up ditching it.

Last year I built a small wooden ramp and installed a pulley with a rope to pull a deer up by myself. Not great, too much friction with the wood ramp but still worked.

Earlier this year, I forgot to load my ramp before going hunting, I shot a big mule deer and had nothing to load the deer in. So I thought, I had just gotten back from a hunting trip in Wyoming and still had a plastic folding 6ft table. I opened the table, extended the legs on one side only and used it as a ramp. That was the easiest way I had ever loaded a deer in a truck, with or without help. I will ditch my wooden ramp, sell my metal stand and keep a folding 6ft table from now on. Not only can I use it as a ramp but I can also use it as, you have guessed, a table.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 AM

I built this for a variety of jobs. Moved a 1600lb rock with it not long ago. Ramp is a section of box conveyor. Deer I just man handle but works excellent for stubble field moose and elk.

Looper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM

For moose I jackknive the quad trailer back against the moose, then bump my Ranger into the corner of the trailer and winch it on. I have loaded moose this way by myself and it works like a dam.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
Last time I loaded a buck by myself I took off the tailgate, put his back feet in the bed, and deadlifted him in. Every suggestion in this thread is better.
>>>
Character! This made me laugh.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post

I built this for a variety of jobs. Moved a 1600lb rock with it not long ago. Ramp is a section of box conveyor. Deer I just man handle but works excellent for stubble field moose and elk.

Looper

Nice setup! I have something similar that fits under a tonneau cover and is removable. Put a couple drings under the bed bolts and hold it in with a ratchet strap not shown in the pic. Made out of aluminum so nice and light.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If I know that i’m Going deer hunting I throw a stepladder in the back of the truck. Lay ladder flat and tie the deer’s head to the top of it. Lift end with head up on the tailgate and then lift and slide from the other end.

Nine times out of ten I don’t have it with me and for big deer I have to lift and tie off......lift and tie off.......etc.

Moose come home in pieces.
Sounds like it should work with the ladder.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
How do you load your animals??
When I saw the thread title I was thinking you meant more along the lines of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHv0qaFfWA

Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 AM

Same as Lefty-Canuck substitute trailer for truck bed
Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 PM

I bought one of those battery powered winches from cabelas. Very happy with it. Have loaded a full moose and elk in under 5min from the time I dumped them. Works like a charm
Old 11-18-2018, 07:41 AM

This is handy when it works out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moose.jpg (62.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post
I used to use a fancy stand with crank that I would hook onto the hitch of my truck. It was heavy and took up a lot of space in the truck but overall it worked but ended up ditching it.

Last year I built a small wooden ramp and installed a pulley with a rope to pull a deer up by myself. Not great, too much friction with the wood ramp but still worked.

Earlier this year, I forgot to load my ramp before going hunting, I shot a big mule deer and had nothing to load the deer in. So I thought, I had just gotten back from a hunting trip in Wyoming and still had a plastic folding 6ft table. I opened the table, extended the legs on one side only and used it as a ramp. That was the easiest way I had ever loaded a deer in a truck, with or without help. I will ditch my wooden ramp, sell my metal stand and keep a folding 6ft table from now on. Not only can I use it as a ramp but I can also use it as, you have guessed, a table.

Threw one of my folding tables into the truck this morning as an afterthought and used it to load a doe - works super!
Thanks for the tip I would never have thought about using it before .....
Cat
Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Does the tribal tattoo give ya an extra 100lb lifting capacity?
No sir. Typical stereotypical tattoo regret. LOL....
Old 11-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffee View Post

Awesome tip for sure!
Old 11-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Tractor. Should try it. Works slick.

If outa tractor range I use a winch and quad ramps.
I have been fortunate enough a few times to be hunting where a tractor was available for transport and butchering and it certainly does make things easy !
Normally I am on the river or deep in the bush on crown land with nothing like that around.
Cat
Old 11-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Always use muscle power.
We skin, quarter and bag in the field.
Way less mess and it keeps the meat a lot cleaner.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:55 PM

For deer, lift the head and get one antler resting on the tailgate. Then try to keep it there while you climb into the truck, then grab the antlers walk backwards using your legs to drag it up into the truck. Helps if you have a truck bed liner with some grip to it. If you have two people things are easy, if your deer has no antlers stand in the truck and use a rope to drag it up. Usually there's a rope around my antlerless deer's neck by the time it gets to the truck anyways.

For moose or elk... quarter the darn thing, just about all of the most stupid things I've ever seen attempted involved trying to get a whole moose into the back of a truck. You have to cut the thing into pieces at some point anyways, just get it over with right away and save yourself the headache.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-23-2018 at 07:00 PM.