Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 AM
Banned

Default Gutless Method

Hi everyone.

Several threads have mentioned The Gutless Method and I have noticed that several people asked how it is done so I thought I would share this video that taught me how to do it. When your watching the video watch the time clock at the bottom of the screen.

After many years of dealing with guts and blood, urine, punctured stomach or intestine I can attest to the fact that this method is AWESOME. All I have to do when I am done, even on a moose is to clean my hands. It does not get better than that!

Cheers and happy hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqUkawJhbLw

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 11-14-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 AM

I've done this a handful of times but only when the temperature is high or I'm WAY in the back country. I just can fathom leaving behind all that rib meat. I know if can still be taken off without removing the guts but by having them in there it makes a guy work slower trying not to puncture the guts behind the ribs. This years archery moose wasn't a tank but I still managed to get it all completely dressed, quartered in game bags and loaded into my VW golf (not ideal but I was hunting after work and don't drive my truck as a commute vehicle) in less then 1 hour.

Although, you're right for sharing this. The few times I did this method in front of others I always get a fella who thinks it's the next best thing to sliced bread. A lot of farm or prairie hunters (including myself) were never raised or shown this cause we always have access to vehicles or some kind of machinery to help out.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:20 AM

I did the Gutless method for the first time on my Mountain Goat in BC and absolutely loved it, No blood or mess and easy to pack up once it was all done. I think for WT or any other game that is close to my truck I would still Gut it but If I have to pack my meat out ill be doing Gutless every time.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:58 AM

I did the gutless method on a small bull moose just a few days ago. After it was all done I pulled the guts out like you would when doing a traditional gutting of an animal then used a cordless reciprocating saw to cut each rib rack off. I also took the tenderloins out at that time since I find it much easier than trying to get them from the outside.

So 95% the gutless method with a bit of twist at the end...Works great for me and every bit of meat comes home with me.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I did the gutless method on a small bull moose just a few days ago. After it was all done I pulled the guts out like you would when doing a traditional gutting of an animal then used a cordless reciprocating saw to cut each rib rack off. I also took the tenderloins out at that time since I find it much easier than trying to get them from the outside.

So 95% the gutless method with a bit of twist at the end...Works great for me and every bit of meat comes home with me.
When are you inviting us over for moose ribs 😂

I strip the rib meat out when the animal is on its side, the guts are laying against the ribs on the ground so its easy. I make sausage with the rib meat, but BBQ'ed moose ribs sounds great to me!

I slow cook the shanks in a dutch oven with red wine, delish 😎
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM

I've been a convert to 'the gutless method' for almost 10 years now. As a senior, I find it a lot easier to sled the meat out in game bags on a child's toboggan, than dragging out a conventionally 'cleaned' animal. But there's three additional reasons I encourage others to use this method:
1) It leaves almost all of the unusable portions of the animal in the wild - for scavengers, insects and nutrients to return to the environment where it came from.
2) It reduces the possibility of disease like CWD being transported across the province (and beyond).
3) For people that butcher & process their own game, it means that urban hunters aren't hunting around for garbage bins to dispose of their animal skeletons in - or worse yet - dumping them roadside.

I just wish there was another, legally acceptable, method of the requirement to 'retain evidence of sex and species', because leaving sex and a tail attached to the same quarter as the tag is difficult if you're boning out that hind quarter in the field. As a result, I usually haul that quarter out 'whole', and dispose of the leg bone, and that portion of hide once I'm home.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 AM
Banned

thumper,

Another great reason to go gutless is that you dont have to hang an animal in your garage. Some of us have women in our lives that will not tolerate that. If you are married to a lady that tells you to quit hunting, well that is what divorce lawyers are for.

Happy wife, happy life! 😂

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 11-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Here is another video showing it along with de-boning an antelope. Works awesome!
https://youtu.be/NZZZqSFMSZQ
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 AM
Banned

Good video.

I personally only debone and process my animals at home since it is a much cleaner environment. I always leave the hide on to keep the meat clean, way better than a game bag.

Being a solo hunter most of the time, its the best way to go IMO.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseHunter View Post
Good video.

I personally only debone and process my animals at home since it is a much cleaner environment. I always leave the hide on to keep the meat clean, way better than a game bag.

Being a solo hunter most of the time, its the best way to go IMO.

Not possible when bow hunting in warm temps or having to pack game out on your back. But I agree it’s a much cleaner environment to butcher.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Done this since 2003.....moose on my own and many deer too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks, Grousehunter. Tremendous Fred Eichler video.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Not possible when bow hunting in warm temps or having to pack game out on your back. But I agree it’s a much cleaner environment to butcher.
I bow hunt moose as well, never had an issue, but I always hunt on the 1st week of October and it is cool enough by then. As soon as I get home i take the hide off. 😊
Old 11-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Good videos. Randy Newberg also has some good stuff on the gutless method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5z3kJWbn8
Old 11-14-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
Good videos. Randy Newberg also has some good stuff on the gutless method.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny5z3kJWbn8
x2 great videos, can't wait to try this method out. Its definitely opened up more country to hunt for me now that I have a good pack and backcountry sleeping system
Old 11-14-2018, 05:05 PM

I was fortunate enough to try the gutless method on two deer I have been on hunts for, one was a mountain k-country whitetail this year where we had the buck quartered and Devine’s and in our packs for our 8km truck back in less than an hour! My only wish is that I learned about this method earlier!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:37 PM

After doing it gutless once its really all I do anymore. I seen in one of these videos the use of a garbage bag, be careful some garbage bags have perfume and can ruin your meat. I use the small plastic bags from Walmart. They are smaller so you can separate the cuts easier.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:56 PM

Problem with gutless is that it doesn't allow for easy harvest of the organs. I usually eat the kidneys, liver, and heart (if I didn't explode it with the shot); and I have considered trying others.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 11-14-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Problem with gutless is that it doesn't allow for easy harvest of the organs. I usually eat the kidneys, liver, and heart (if I didn't explode it with the shot); and I have considered trying others.
You need to break a front rib to get at these essential vittles. The guts stay below the diaphragm and you can reach in to pull out the heart, liver, and anything else. I didn't click the links above but I know Randy Newberg covers this in one of his gutless videos if you want a visual. I would never leave an intact heart behind either.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Yuck!
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-14-2018, 08:12 PM

Did it again today. It works very well.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
You need to break a front rib to get at these essential vittles. The guts stay below the diaphragm and you can reach in to pull out the heart, liver, and anything else. I didn't click the links above but I know Randy Newberg covers this in one of his gutless videos if you want a visual. I would never leave an intact heart behind either.
Some people take the tongue too. I hate the idea of tasting something that is tasting me back 🤢
Old 11-14-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Hahaha....if you want guts don't do the "gutless" method I guess.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I've done this a handful of times but only when the temperature is high or I'm WAY in the back country. I just can fathom leaving behind all that rib meat. I know if can still be taken off without removing the guts but by having them in there it makes a guy work slower trying not to puncture the guts behind the ribs. This years archery moose wasn't a tank but I still managed to get it all completely dressed, quartered in game bags and loaded into my VW golf (not ideal but I was hunting after work and don't drive my truck as a commute vehicle) in less then 1 hour.

Although, you're right for sharing this. The few times I did this method in front of others I always get a fella who thinks it's the next best thing to sliced bread. A lot of farm or prairie hunters (including myself) were never raised or shown this cause we always have access to vehicles or some kind of machinery to help out.

Nice to see another golf hunter lol. I always get weird looks when I go hunting or fishing with a golf and loading stuff in. Mine is a TDI for that extra good fuel economy. This year I managed to put a mulie buck into the trunk. Surprisingly they have a a lot of truck space!
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 PM

A couple of quarters between the frame and bag today. Beats the world out of dragging a deer for a mile.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Yuck!
Don't forget the tongue. Delicious with horseradish sauce.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:59 AM

My 73 year old father came out from BC this week to hunt with me, I had never done the gutless method but had seen the benefit while helping a buddy pack out his elk this season. My father had never heard of it, he kills multiple large game animals a season.
We were blessed to be able to harvest a white tail buck and i did the gutless method, what an easy way to deal with an animal, I was concerned about loins inside the rib cage but they were apparent and easy to access. Yes I lost some rib meat but there wasn't much on the deer.

At first my father was concerned but by the end of the trip he was watching videos and will probably never gut an animal again.

So easy, so clean, so fast
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
My 73 year old father came out from BC this week to hunt with me, I had never done the gutless method but had seen the benefit while helping a buddy pack out his elk this season. My father had never heard of it, he kills multiple large game animals a season.
We were blessed to be able to harvest a white tail buck and i did the gutless method, what an easy way to deal with an animal, I was concerned about loins inside the rib cage but they were apparent and easy to access. Yes I lost some rib meat but there wasn't much on the deer.

At first my father was concerned but by the end of the trip he was watching videos and will probably never gut an animal again.

So easy, so clean, so fast
Teaching something new to an expert hunter like your father must have really impressed him, good on you!!

Congrats on your deer
Old 11-15-2018, 12:39 PM

How do you get the tenderloins out with the gutless method ?
Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
How do you get the tenderloins out with the gutless method ?
Hi LongRangebugler, watch the video I posted on the first post of this thread.

Cheers