Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
How can they lie when the tag has the zone number on it?
General tags I assume.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 AM

Default Cwd

Google:

The Challenge of CWD Insidious and Dire
Old 11-17-2018, 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=owlhoot;3873381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I've hear a person is supposed to dispose of knives and other butchering equipment used if an animal comes back positive. Anyone else heard this?

I have read ""Recommendations"" That you can soak your butchering equipment in a 50/50 bleach water solution for an hour,

Its scary to think how many infected deer went through commercial processors. I wonder what they are doing for disinfection?
Although my Google skills are limited I think that recommendations for surgical instruments used on patients infected by human prion disease (CJD) involve soaking in undiluted household bleach for one hour. The same bleach treatment should be used for all surfaces contacted. Disposal of instruments or additional autoclaving is preferred if possible.

I think that maximum prudence would lead one to dispose of all knives, saws, and so on that were used to process a CWD positive animal. Meat grinders are problematic. If a CWD-positive animal were processed at a butcher's, I would not like to eat any meat that contacted the same equipment. I assume that no commercial butcher cleans equipment to the extent recommended for destruction of prions.

I would appreciate a response from anyone with expertise in the field. This is an important topic particularly with an eye to the errors committed when BSE was being dealt with in Britain.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:53 AM

So after gutting and skinning your deer, zip lock your knives, take home and soak for the afternoon in bleach and water? My hunting knives haven't touched anything but my deboning knife is back in the drawer touching all my other cutlery. What if we were all out and got 10 deer and only 1 guy knew how to clean them. Would the first bad deer infect the rest?

I'm not negative and I hate thinking this way but are butchers cross contaminating everything now? I'm sure they sanitize their work space. But most likely at the end of the day and not for an hour between the 10-50 deer they process every day in the busy season. And touching the pork and beef they're also working on.

This is not a slam against the butchers and processors ar all. I'm sure they have their hands full and probably getting interrogated by every customer.

We ate the heart from our deer. But after seeing how serious this is getting I'm sending the head in for testing and all my home processed meat is in the freezer.

Sorry my head is making up bad case scenarios.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM

You may have the same prions of your boots and hunting clothes just from walking the same terrain as the infected deer.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If a hunters kills infected deer every year, he is helping to control the disease, to prevent it from spreading. I see this change as nothing more than the government saving cash.
Killing an infected deer may control further soil contamination from that particular deer. An infected deer means it had to have become infected suggesting there is contaminated soils locally already. Whitetail deer have small home ranges and don't migrate far in winter. Mulies can migrate further in winter spreading the prions more. Deer pick up CWD through plant proteins that have attached to soil particles contaminated by prions. Then an infected deer broadcasts the prions back to the soil via saliva, feces, urine, and other bodily fluids. CWD and other infectious prions (eg. scrapie) can remain active in the soils for years. Being that CWD is 100% fatal in deer eventually an dead infected deer's carcass contaminates the land where the carcass decomposes. Logic would suggest that scavengers of infected carcasses may further move the prions around too.

If you want to learn more about CWD prions this report is quite complete.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3160281/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-17-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Killing an infected deer may control further soil contamination from that particular deer. An infected deer means it had to have become infected suggesting there is contaminated soils locally already. Whitetail deer have small home ranges and don't migrate far in winter. Mulies can migrate further in winter spreading the prions more. Deer pick up CWD through plant proteins that have attached to soil particles contaminated by prions. Then an infected deer broadcasts the prions back to the soil via saliva, feces, urine, and other bodily fluids. CWD and other infectious prions (eg. scrapie) can remain active in the soils for years. Being that CWD is 100% fatal in deer eventually an dead infected deer's carcass contaminates the land where the carcass decomposes. Logic would suggest that scavengers of infected carcasses may further move the prions around too.

Thanks very much for that link. I'm going to take some time to read it and, perhaps, understand it. There's a bit more molecular biology than I can handle .

I've already learned that scrapie and CWD are the only prion diseases that are environmentally transmissible. Unfortunately, that is not very hopeful if CWD crosses the species barrier to humans, especially if crop plants take up the prions from the soil.

It's also clear that a partial knowledge of the nature of prions is not enough to interpret the research, particularly as reported in the news media.

At the very least, I think hunters should get every cervid head tested before eating any part of the animal or re-using the tools used to dress and butcher it.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:10 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Just got my results for my mule deer from 162 and was happy to find it was negative.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:30 PM

Appears reading this thread that everyone just accepts CWD like it's a perfectly natural Alberta wildlife threat. The game ranching industry which imported the CWD catastrophe is off the hook and I hear biding their time until the PC's get reelected. Then the push for paid hunt ranches will be back on which will bring up the push for paid hunting on all private land again. Also the theft of live deer and elk will begin again!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:32 PM

The spread of CWD into the zones I typically hunt made me do a lot of research last fall. I came to the conclusion that I won’t be hunting in CWD zones going forward, unless they are able to use a faster test for CWD that allows me to test prior to contaminating my equipment. Areas in the States have offices where you can bring your deer for immediate testing. If that was an option (even privately) I would be much more likely to hunt CWD zones.

My solution is more drastic than most would do but I am not comfortable feeding it to my family or using equipment exposed to CWD for any future kills.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-17-2018, 10:10 PM

Just keep the hips and the fronts for sausage and roasts separate. Keep the loins and tenders seperate, if positive toss them. CWD is a nervous disorder, and does not effect any part of the animal except the parts near the spinal cord. (loin and tenders)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
Appears reading this thread that everyone just accepts CWD like it's a perfectly natural Alberta wildlife threat. The game ranching industry which imported the CWD catastrophe is off the hook and I hear biding their time until the PC's get reelected. Then the push for paid hunt ranches will be back on which will bring up the push for paid hunting on all private land again. Also the theft of live deer and elk will begin again!
Right now the only hope to control the road poachers that shoot and drive on land they have no permission on may be paid access used to fund patrols.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:

It might be just my opinion, but I am for encouraging people to hunt deer in the CWD areas, not to discourage them from hunting deer in these areas. Discontinuing replacement tags for positive deer discourages people from hunting deer in those zones.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:35 AM

Heres a link for you. Probably the most informative info to date. I know it's been posted before, I'm sure I've even posted it before too. When you're dealing with CWD it's always better to know more.

https://youtu.be/E3s6p2UP57Q
Old 11-18-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It might be just my opinion, but I am for encouraging people to hunt deer in the CWD areas, not to discourage them from hunting deer in these areas. Discontinuing replacement tags for positive deer discourages people from hunting deer in those zones.
I agree, it’s really the only “answer” to controlling the disease at this time. There are no other control measures other then killing off the disease. And that being said, if the disease can survive in environment, is there ever going to be an effective cure- probably not.

If hunters stop hunting Cwd zones, it will have further detrimental effects that go outside the realm of Cwd. Over populations being one of them.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
Just keep the hips and the fronts for sausage and roasts separate. Keep the loins and tenders seperate, if positive toss them. CWD is a nervous disorder, and does not effect any part of the animal except the parts near the spinal cord. (loin and tenders)
I don't think this is correct. CWD prions have been found in muscle and fat from infected deer. For example, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16439622 and https://jvi.asm.org/content/83/18/9608.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Hard to know what to believe. Some say it's unsafe to eat and then there's this study from California, https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bi...ead-to-humans/ Perhaps they're just bunny huggers out to rid the world of hunters.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Hard to know what to believe. Some say it's unsafe to eat and then there's this study from California, https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bi...ead-to-humans/ Perhaps they're just bunny huggers out to rid the world of hunters.
Thanks for calling attention to this. I only did a bit of looking and found https://www.jci.org/articles/view/79408 and https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26809254 which support the idea that humans are resistant to infection by CWD prions. It would be reassuring to know this, obviously.