Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 12:38 AM

Default Polar wolf

https://www.arctictoday.com/new-dna-...an-polar-wolf/
Old 11-17-2018, 01:00 PM

Bah, Humbug. They're probably fishing for anther species that demands protection.

Grizz
Old 11-17-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bah, Humbug. They're probably fishing for anther species that demands protection.

Grizz
I thought that too. This one they can jump right on and "save" as it is so newly discovered.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I thought that too. This one they can jump right on and "save" as it is so newly discovered.
Yeah ........... who cares ........ we should just forget about saving the species and hunt them to extinction. I'm going to book a hunt just so I can get one before they are all gone.

Way too difficult to regulate/manage - way easier to just ignore what's going on.

I am shocked how many "hunters and outdoors men" ignore conservation and environmental consideration. I believe we can be both and manage both.

Last edited by EZM; 11-17-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yeah ........... who cares ........ we should just forget about saving the species and hunt them to extinction. I'm going to book a hunt just so I can get one before they are all gone.

Way too difficult to regulate/manage - way easier to just ignore what's going on.

I am shocked how many "hunters and outdoors men" ignore conservation and environmental consideration. I believe we can be both and manage both.

Why do you consistently jump so far in labeling "Many" hunters and outdoorsmen this way?

I'm confident that 99% of hunters and outdoorsmen agree that we can and ARE both conservationists and environmentalists.

Please reflect on your attitude before continuing to expose AO with the ignorant rhetoric.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-17-2018, 03:17 PM

Back on topic....

How about if the nuanced genetic species dividers perform the same analysis on Humans? Wouldn't that be fun....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Why do you consistently jump so far in labeling "Many" hunters and outdoorsmen this way?

I'm confident that 99% of hunters and outdoorsmen agree that we can and ARE both conservationists and environmentalists.

Please reflect on your attitude before continuing to expose AO with the ignorant rhetoric.
I am specifically reflecting on the comments contained within this specific thread.

Go back and classify which camp these comments belong to.......seriously

How would you describe the contributions?

Do these sound like the "99%" of the hunters/conservationists you say make up this population who would support conservation/management?

Or does that sound like someone is conveniently ignoring science to protect one's own self interests (hunting) because it means we may to manage/protect this species?

Which one?

But of course you think these comments present BOTH conservation and management as well as self interests (hunting) ...... I'm not sure how you got that from those comments because I didn't.

Shame on me right. lol.

I stand behind my comments. With all respect to you, and the contributors, we don't need to agree.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Back on topic....

How about if the nuanced genetic species dividers perform the same analysis on Humans? Wouldn't that be fun....
Back on topic - there are very clear ways to separate genetic "nuances" from distinct species. This is not a "percentage" (grey area) game it's pretty cut and dry (scientifically).

The other thing is, because this population is remote, chances are whatever pressure they are getting from hunters isn't going to change much - they are, after all, currently being hunted and are surviving just fine.

Likely there is no added "protection" or "management" requirement at this juncture.

If the anti's try and "protect" this species without the benefit of an impact study I HOPE whomever is reviewing the proposed protection mandate and calls out the lack of evidence before just caving into protecting something that doesn't need any protection.