Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Tokarev TT 33 pistol

I've seen them for dirt cheap, are they worth it?
Also what caliber could you compare it to for recoil because ive read the
7.62x25 kicked a bit, is this true?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:43 PM

I had one, bought it from Milarm.
I figgered it kicked about the same as my Walther .40?
The ammo (762 x 25) was too expensive so i bought a 9 mm barrel from marstar
and converted it to 9mm. it was cheap and fun too shoot till i broke the firing pin.
Got the firing pin replaced and sold the gun as i was tired of it.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 AM

Buddy of mine has one and says their quite loud.. Other than that they are considered a "special threat" round when it comes to soft armor...sorry thats all i got. lol
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Default tokorev

Yes they will zip through light body armour. Trade-ex has AAA deals on pistols with case lots of ammo.......Harold
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM

Good, well built pistol, designed with typical Soviet brutality. Safety is just a half cock on the hammer. No different than shooting a 9 mm, though the ammo isn't very common. You've got to wonder what's going to happen when all the east block ammo supplies dry up, which they will eventually. 9 mm barrels used to be fairly common and cheap, but don't seem to be any more, probably cause they came from down south and 9/11 ended that.

Grizz
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned

I have three. One is a war issue. It has no safety, and has some wear on the slide from a holster. It shoots nice.

One is a Hungarian with the large Tokagypt grips. This model was made for the Egyptian police, but never sold to them. It is in 9mm, but I also have the 7.62X25 barrel. It has a safety as well.

And the third is a Norinco model 54. It has both the 9mm and 7.62X25 barrels, with thin grips and a safety.

All shoot well. The sites are not adjustable, but they are reasonably accurate. I find the 7.62X25 to be more accurate than the 9mm.

7.62X25 Ammo is easy to find right now. You can buy 1100 rounds for less than $200 from many sources. There are also some non military rounds available. However SP rounds are very hard to find.

The recoil is stronger from the 7.62X25 than from 9mm. I would agree it is similar to a .40 cal, but with a snappier recoil.

The 7.62X25 has been stated to be able to penetrate level II and level IIA body armor, however it is not known as a "man stopper" as it gets it penetration from velocity and shoots a light bullet, often about 85-90 grains, but flying between 1400-1700fps, and about 400-600ft/lbf.

They are simple and easy to disassemble, and are robust. However machining is not as good as you would see on higher end pistols.

I have found that when shooting 9mm they may jam after a while as the round is not as strong at recoiling. I have not had the same problem with the 7.62x25. There are some who state that it is capable of shooting the +P rounds, however these have been hard to find, and I have only shot one box from one, and the muzzle flash was awesome with more snappy recoil.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Default 7.62x25

Same caliber as the Russian [burp gun] PPSH and they are man stoppers with jacketed HP's. Ammo can be made using shortened .223 brass and a lot of optional cursing............Harold
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info, I see them so cheap and I am kinda interested but I needed to know from people who have been around them.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Old post but I will reply to it. Recoil is snappy. Bullet travels to target much faster than the 9mm. The x25 is not more difficult to shoot than the 9mm. A speedy .30 round that will out-range other pistol rounds. Cheap and reliable at least anything steel cased made in Czechoslovakia is.
If you get the 9mm barrel you will not be able to load the cartridge hot enough to begin to damage this pistol. In the United States, our cousins who use it as a defensive carry pistol sometimes bore the 9mm chamber out to feed 9x23 Winchester. People have attempted to destroy the pistol with the hottest 9mm or 9x23mm loads they can come up with but have failed in the attempt. These pistols, slim and small as they are, are simply too strong to damage.

Get one if you have not already done so.