Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
What happens to warranty work on Leupolds sold by Bass Pro Shops?

Also, what about the Redfields(leupolds) that are imported with package deals like the Weatherby Vanguard through North Sylva and direct Weatherby dealers? Are these considered 'grey market' scopes too?
Korth will not warranty scopes from Bass Pro either
Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 PM

Wow Clay is 85 bucks cheaper on a base VX3, so your 85 bucks buys you faster turn around on warrenty? I still won't by Leupold just on pricipal, if they don't care about what their canadain customers have to pay, screw em.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Yup, just found that out !

Thankfully I was told about it before I bought there.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
No they won't but Bass pro will give you an over the counter exchange warranty on the leupolds they sell. Clay will do it as well. I've bought 3 leupolds from Clay and would buy more with out any worry. Clay looks after his customers....thats fact.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM

I own nothing but Leupolds and have always had outstanding service from Korth and Tony in particular. A couple things I wanted done voluntarilly and a few 20+ year old scopes had minor issues and were completely rebuilt, refilled, new seals and tested before returning to me postage paid in under one week. If I can buy that kind of service for $85 difference and not having to wait 6 or 8 weeks for US documentation to return to US I am thinking the Canadian warrenty centre is a bargain. Of course this type of thread comes up every 6 months so we are never going to change some minds. For 30 years of outstanding service I could care less about $100 difference. They have a centre to run, staff to pay and general expenses associated with importing. Good value in my view but if you don't want that quality then buy something else. When I was in the business there were some optics reps that wouldnt even return phone calls when I wanted to buy from them, cant imagine what kind of service I would get if I had a problem and needed a quick fix during hunting season. You get what you pay for in almost every case, save $100 and see what it costs you in time effort and lost hunting days if you need service. You can always buy another scope while you are waiting for the US paperwork and import process to come through.
Oh wait a minute that sounds like false economy buying twice!
Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM

Default Leupold

At the lower end of there line all you are getting with leupold products is there name stamped on the side of it... With a good warranty. Garbage that they are happy to replace for you. Compare the same $300 leupold to what you get for $300 with any other optic company and you might be happy you did. I have been. Save 100% in Canada and don't get a cheap leupold.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Yup, just found that out !

Thankfully I was told about it before I bought there.
What about a Redfield mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard as part of a package deal. My brother bought one from a small dealer in southern AB. My understanding is that North Sylva was the importer. Awesome combo but I'd guess he'd better hope there isn't ever an issue with the Redfield??
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Reference? What law(s) would that be?

ARG
Homeland security for one. Don't get caught in the U.S. with gun parts as a foreign national.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Default vortex

Didnt read all the posts, but if you are looking for Vortex optics and are in or around Edmonton Natures Corner has better pricing on all vortex scope then W.S.S. and alot of times they will give you an even better deal then there listed price!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
No they won't but Bass pro will give you an over the counter exchange warranty on the leupolds they sell. Clay will do it as well. I've bought 3 leupolds from Clay and would buy more with out any worry. Clay looks after his customers....thats fact.
Good to know. Thanks.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Leupold is very aware and approved Korths actions. While it may not everyone happy I can't imagine bearing the expense of a warranty center to support a grey market dealer like Clay from Prophet River. If he doesn't want to abide by international distribution agreements then he or his clients must pay for or be inconvenienced for that action. It is not Korth or Leupolds fault he feels he is above the rules and agreements.
As though by any stretch of the imagination it is OK for Leupold to be complicit in a scheme to gouge Canadian consumers.
It is not just Leupold that is in this type of racket. GE Appliances is running the same type of scam - threatening their US retail outlets with pulling product from them if they ship to Canadian addresses.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
As though by any stretch of the imagination it is OK for Leupold to be complicit in a scheme to gouge Canadian consumers.
It is not just Leupold that is in this type of racket. GE Appliances is running the same type of scam - threatening their US retail outlets with pulling product from them if they ship to Canadian addresses.
LOL, I was just trying to inform the guys who didn't know. Should I have typed a much longer explanation? Probably. As a business man I wouldn't honor warranty for something I didn't import either. Money has to come from somewhere to pay for all the work. I know it cost money to import these products and someone has to pay for that and do all the paper work etc. Zeiss does warranty the grey market optics that he sells.
I'm kind of surprised more people didn't know about the Leupold warranty change, it was quite the news a year or so ago. I think and you should check before you get upset but I think Korth will warranty anything with serial numbers proving date of manufacture before Nov 2011. Like I said check first.
It could very well be that Clay does get all his Leupold scopes from Korth now I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and if I am well I apologize and retract the statement. Other than that carry on!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
LOL, I was just trying to inform the guys who didn't know. Should I have typed a much longer explanation? Probably. As a business man I wouldn't honor warranty for something I didn't import either. Money has to come from somewhere to pay for all the work. I know it cost money to import these products and someone has to pay for that and do all the paper work etc. Zeiss does warranty the grey market optics that he sells.
I'm kind of surprised more people didn't know about the Leupold warranty change, it was quite the news a year or so ago. I think and you should check before you get upset but I think Korth will warranty anything with serial numbers proving date of manufacture before Nov 2011. Like I said check first.
It could very well be that Clay does get all his Leupold scopes from Korth now I don't know. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and if I am well I apologize and retract the statement. Other than that carry on!
So all this extra work Korth has to do is worth on average about 200 a scope? Sorry they are taking advantage of a US homeland security law, without the law they are out of business if they continued like this. I doubt his Zeiss are so called grey market, Zeiss scopes are pretty much on par with US no matter where you buy them in Canada. Funny Zeiss can make it work and Leupold can't. I will be writing a letter to Leupold US and let them know why I will not buy there products.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

I sure hope to continue with korth in my backyard, nice having a scope custom shop next door, fast turn around, reticle swaps, parallax distance changes, turrets etc. I rarely like a scope the way it hits the shelf, but I have pretty specific requirements. These leupolds only customizable scopes period and having the center and warranty right here...big fat yes please!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM

Amazing how some here will bash a retailer when they suspect something is going on but don't know for sure....

On the other hand those same ones will bash a guys personal opinion of a retailer, when that person does have first hand poor experience....

So do as I say not as I do...

...interesting stuff.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 12-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Amazing how some here will bash a retailer when they suspect something is going on but don't know for sure....

On the other hand those same ones will bash a guys opinion of a retailer when that person does have first hand experience....

So do as I say not as I do...

...interesting stuff.

LC
You've been on hear long enough, I'm surprised this still amazes you
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You've been on hear long enough, I'm surprised this still amazes you
No doubt....I better lay off the eggnog.....or drink more, then it might make sense

LC
Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No doubt....I better lay off the eggnog.....or drink more, then it might make sense

LC
I don't feel bad for starting on the champagne now.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 PM

3 things of note,

1. your apology should be in capital letters as you risk being sued (PR would not as it would draw too much atteniton for the lack of money you have to give them after they get a judgement against you)

2. Leopold scopes have been checked in the last 2 weeks for serial numbers and Korth has said privately they were brought in through Korth and therfor leggally purchased in Canada and the warranty would be honoured here by Korth

3. Bass Pro are not playing by the rules agreed ot with Leopold

and Yes I am a retired and wealthy Lawyer

cement bench

Quote:
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
3 things of note,

1. your apology should be in capital letters as you risk being sued (PR would not as it would draw too much atteniton for the lack of money you have to give them after they get a judgement against you)

2. Leopold scopes have been checked in the last 2 weeks for serial numbers and Korth has said privately they were brought in through Korth and therfor leggally purchased in Canada and the warranty would be honoured here by Korth

3. Bass Pro are not playing by the rules agreed ot with Leopold

and Yes I am a retired and wealthy Lawyer

cement bench

Yes I know you are a lawyer, but you still have some good qualities. But I am losing it so I can’t recall them at this moment.
Have a good New Year cement bench.
Will you have a table at the January 26 and 27 Edmonton gun show?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 PM

you made me smile just before the new year,

No my cancer is back and I may be in the hospital

sleeping on a cement bench tonight