Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Banned

Default Best Time of Year to Buy a New Rifle?

I've been contemplating buying a new Sako Finnlight rifle. I'm not 100% decided yet but I'm pretty sure that if the right deal came around it'd force me to decide. I was hoping that something would be on sale on Black Friday or Boxing Day but no such luck. I'm wondering if there might be end of the year sales to sell off old stock when new models are released for next year. What are the chances/trends?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:19 PM

That is an interesting question. I've only ever saw good pricing at shows like the big one in Edmonton, but in truth I don't spend much time shopping. I'm terrible for deciding I want something and going out and buying it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM

I've found the best time to buy a rifle is when you have the cash on hand.

FWIW: rifle margins are so small that's why you seldom see them going on sale.

Sure some promotional rifles, especially entry level package deals surface, but upper end stuff, rarely do you see the price move anything but upwards.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Boxing Day

I was so disappointed this year with the sales! Last year Cabela's had a real good deal on Tikka's. This year, no such luck! Sales are few and far between!
Maybe wait for early Feb! Watch Bashaw.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 PM

I have a habit of buying either guns of vintage, or guns i have a hankering for that are special order, so I have to "strike when the iron is hot" or I may have second thoughts, and my opportunity is gone!
Cat
Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM

I'm no expert and don't buy expensive rifles but, just picked up a new Weatherby (Howa) vanguard S2 yesterday. They come with a sub MOA gaurantee and feel really nice. Not cheap feeling like some savages I've had. I haven't shot it yet but for $529 I doubt I will be disappointed. Try looking at one of those. I live in Morinville too so if you'd like to check it out let me know.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Probably will not happen, what I have done in the past was look at several Canadian websites to compare and sometimes you could see something. The trade off is you can’t always see the product.
Sometimes if the product is old as in sitting on the rack for years it might get reduced.
What calibre will it be?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I've been contemplating buying a new Sako Finnlight rifle. ..... I'm wondering if there might be end of the year sales to sell off old stock when new models are released for next year. What are the chances/trends?
The Sako Finnlight is the currant model and I do not think it will be changed anytime soon. The best you can hope for is a general sale when all firearms are discounted. I would check Bashaw Sports and Prophet River, as they often seem willing and able to undercut the competition.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM

On sale would be great, but I'm just happy if they have the model and calibre in stock!
If I keep my expectations low I won't be disappointed
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I'm no expert and don't buy expensive rifles but, just picked up a new Weatherby (Howa) vanguard S2 yesterday. They come with a sub MOA gaurantee and feel really nice. Not cheap feeling like some savages I've had. I haven't shot it yet but for $529 I doubt I will be disappointed. Try looking at one of those. I live in Morinville too so if you'd like to check it out let me know.
Thanks for the offer Hogie but I've handled numerous different rifles and IMO the Vanguard is not enough of an upgrade from my Savage model 111 to warrant buying one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Probably will not happen, what I have done in the past was look at several Canadian websites to compare and sometimes you could see something. The trade off is you can’t always see the product.
Sometimes if the product is old as in sitting on the rack for years it might get reduced.
What calibre will it be?
I can't find rifles on the Can Tire website but I know that they sell them in Red Deer and Calgary.

Good old 30.06.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Banned

I know bashaw sports doesn’t list everything on the web page and they say that much. I was looking for a specific item once and called them because I didn’t see it on the site. I was lucky they didn’t have it so I saved some money that day.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I've been contemplating buying a new Sako Finnlight rifle. I'm not 100% decided yet but I'm pretty sure that if the right deal came around it'd force me to decide. I was hoping that something would be on sale on Black Friday or Boxing Day but no such luck. I'm wondering if there might be end of the year sales to sell off old stock when new models are released for next year. What are the chances/trends?
Ive been sitting/watching on a individual rifle now for 3 years thats been sitting/boxed up at wholesale sports.I check every week on there website.That sob will be mine when it goes on SALE! ......someday?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM

I know Can Tire will usually match competitors published prices as I've heard them calling some manager for approval to do so on numerous occasions. I visit the Calgary store frequently to see if anything new & intriguing is in to buy with my CT bucks.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM

Usually, when the Calgary Easter gun show is on, the stores have various sales on, sometimes it is a 5-10% dixcount at the gun counter, or items they want to unload at a better discount. If you see a 10% discount on any gun under 1000.00 it is about as good as it is likely to get. Only way to get more than that, is if the distributor gave them an extra discount on a booking order, or is dumping excess stock to the retailers.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 AM

The Easter Show weekend would be true, funny I'd not thought of that. During Good Friday and Saturday you'll see some decent to significant discounts at The Shooting Edge on all manner of stuff, and Calgary Shooting Centre follows suit as well. I've never noticed any other local firearm retailers having promotions for that weekend though.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM

Default sales

The 3rd week of November, WSS has a 10 per cent off coupon on various brands. One day it will be Savage, next day Weatherby and Remington etc.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM

Before UFA took over WSS, they and Russell's had an Easter Gun show spring sale, which was their yearly deal. They still do, just not as many items discounted as used to be. Now they have more sales thru the course of the year. I picked up a Merkel K1 and a 3-9 Zeiss last Easter, at TSE, saved around 1600.00 on that deal, but, they were dumping the Merkel, it had been there 3yrs that I know of.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Any time is a good time to buy a gun.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 AM

Wink

I watch all the sales. Religously read all the flyers. Shop all the bargain bins and make all my gun purchases between Jan 1 and Dec 31. That's when all the best saes are!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM

This year's Boxing Week flyer from WSS was a complete joke! I was thinking they would have at least a few pages of gloves, hunting, fishing items etc. But wow what a total waste of paper.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbo_Dave View Post
I watch all the sales. Religously read all the flyers. Shop all the bargain bins and make all my gun purchases between Jan 1 and Dec 31. That's when all the best saes are!
You're probably right.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
I was so disappointed this year with the sales! Last year Cabela's had a real good deal on Tikka's. This year, no such luck! Sales are few and far between!
Maybe wait for early Feb! Watch Bashaw.
Yes Bashaw has been doing some clearing out. Mostly Remington if you like and trust their quality still. Some of the prices are quite good.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM

I think you had better buy it if you have found the one you want. I bought the Finnlight 85 in 7mm Rem last summer. I had trouble finding it and was told at the time if somebody had one, I better buy it. Found one at Wolverine in Reddeer. Extremely happy I got it. The rifle shoots any loads I fed it incredibly well. Light enough to carry all day and drives tacks. Can't ask for anymore. Stettler did have a 10% off sale just prior to Xmas. Ken is usually pretty good to deal with there.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM

I have a system that is fool proof, only buy guns on days that in a "y".