Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 PM

Default surface plugs for pike!

can anybody steer me in the right direction as to good surface plugs!! Goin on a fly in trip in june and I heard that the surface action can be really good!! Took a look today and them buggers ain't cheap! any thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 PM

You could always try making some of these:
http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/plipper/

You wouldn't even need any tying tools Read through the article before you dismiss it!

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM

That's really cool

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Rapala Xrap Subwalks. Unbeatable.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM

go to walmart and pick up a BUZZ KING, they have the spinner deally thats awesome, has never ever failed me, and its not too bad of price, there are other brands too, I have found the buzz king to work the best for staying on top, these things can be cated into the reeds and shallow water, pretty good over all, i picked up some extra tassels from BPS for them.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
go to walmart and pick up a BUZZ KING, they have the spinner deally thats awesome, has never ever failed me, and its not too bad of price, there are other brands too, I have found the buzz king to work the best for staying on top, these things can be cated into the reeds and shallow water, pretty good over all, i picked up some extra tassels from BPS for them.
Is that like a big spinnerbait?

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Not necessarily plugs, but I have always done good with Suicks, Bobby Baits, Jakes, and I love ripping a big spinner like an Inhaler along the surface or just under. I have found spinner baits to catch a lot of little hammer handles in my experience.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM

WHEN A FISH STRIKES, WAIT TWO SECONDS BEFORE YOU SET THE HOOK.

Classics top water lures include Zara Spooks. "walk the Dog"
http://www.ehow.com/video_2365839_us...echniques.html

Buzz Bait spinners, http://www.ehow.com/video_2365832_us...echniques.html

Plastic Frogs http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...tic-frog-baits

Rapala Skitter Pops http://www.rapala.com/products/lures...er_pop_series/
http://www.ehow.com/video_2365837_us...echniques.html
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM

Zara Spooks in my tackle box....Jitterbugs are a classic must have as well. Rapala Floating Minnow is an obvious choice just twitch it along wait for the ripples to dissapear and then give it another rip, or burn Mepps Aglia #5's along the surface.

I never fished Thrillers (Suicks) or Scum Frogs but i heard they are decent too........
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM

I plan on adding a rapala glide or two to my inventory this year. They will replace an old green broom handle sort of bait that was lost last year. It had the habbit of finding any active fish in the area. The old broom handle took large jerks to move it through the water. and it would go any old direction. One thing I found was to add a small silver spinner blade to one of the hooks the extra flash seems to help.

I do the same thing to big plastic suspending swim baits, another fav.

Love buzzbaits too but add a stinger hook they tend to miss, after the hit with your inside voice say "God save the Queen" then nail it.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

I have had great success in the Yukon (in the early spring only) with Zaroo Spooks "Walking the Dog". The pike miss about 75% of the time but man is it exciting. They will usually try a couple times before spooking.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM

Also wondering if the size of leader is an issue with these type of baits?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Don't forget the good ole skitter "props"!
The new walk 9's should be great too but I haven't seen many around.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Like using these.

http://www.eaglesportscenter.com/pro...bucher/top.htm
Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM

Get the BOOYA brand buzz baits. They have a little clicker that ticks the prop every time it goes around and it makes a heck of a racket. They also can be reeled slower and still stay on top. Keep the rod tip high and keep it going. Fish shallower water near weeds and reeds and you should be laughing. They are also constructed very well. Buy a few colors and have fun. I tie fluoro carbon right onto the bend, which works great because the wire is quite far away from the part that is in the water so there is a small chance of getting bit off.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Default Gotta use a spook

Hi: You have to try the Zara Spook...I even caught a lake trout on the surface with one of these babies. You will have a blast with the pike. It takes a bit to get it to walk the dog back and forth. Usually, there are instructions on the packaging.

Calm, overcast days are best for plug action IMO.

Hoopi
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 PM
KyleM

The Spooks have been around a long time for a reason, they are the best.
Iam a bass/muskie fisherman from Ontario that fished topwater 75% of the time....I have tried everything that dances, darts, spins and splashes and the Spooks have always held up and worked best.

Try to stay away from leaders, it will take away from the action on the bait.
I like to use a heavy # Stren line. Line with a good stretch high memroy works best for walking the dog, you need to load up your line when you pull those big top waters.

Also dont use a stiff action rod, it rips the bait to hard and will give you the wrong action....also no good as it will rip the bait right out of the fishes mouth.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Default Rapala

Rapala Skitter walk xrap walk and skitter pros are all good choices
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM

I used to guide for pike in northern Sask. Try Rapalas in minimum 6 inches in either floating or husky jerk. The largest spring pike landed on a husky jerk was 52 inches. Either tiger or natural minnow colors worked best.

In terms of a leader,yes you should have one, keep the diameter thin. Remember if you use a bigger bait (10-12 inches) the chance of the pike hitting your line lessens. Leaders can be steel, titanium or even try heavy mono or flourocarbon.

Dont be afraid to go big. Periodically let your bait rest at or near the suface during retreive. Goodluck.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180+ View Post
can anybody steer me in the right direction as to good surface plugs!! Goin on a fly in trip in june and I heard that the surface action can be really good!! Took a look today and them buggers ain't cheap! any thoughts would be appreciated!
Are you going to be flyfishing for gear fishing?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 AM

I will not buy any spinnerbaits(except buzzers) from any company other than Terminator. The things are built like tanks and if they get ruined by a big gators mouth, send it back and you get a new one! Lifetime guarantee cannot be beat.