Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM

A week and you guys are still fightin about this LOL. Everyone has their preference and that's that. One isn't better than the other. I suggest to the OP to try a couple of different suggested techniques and choose which they like better. Just because AK47 has perfected the marmish (and I've seen him do it when some of us had little to no luck) doesn't mean everyone can fish like him with the same success. That's more of experience in his case than the friggen rod, believe me! Just because I can go out with 4 other people and catch 2-3x as many fish as my friends doesn't mean the gear I was using is better than theirs. It just means I'm a better fisherman!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Alright, I have decided to add a Marmish rod to my perch arsenal this winter!Don't know if it will be my thing but a secret weapon couldn't hurt right?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
OK, so another brave soul for a challenge? I would pay to see stick outperforming marmish.
x2

iI would challenge you AK but I think my Marmish might outfish your Marmish lol
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
x2

iI would challenge you AK but I think my Marmish might outfish your Marmish lol
You are absolutely right - it can certainly happen... I am not some kind of perch fishing wizard, been outfished in perch fishing derbies many times and sometimes even badly - but with marmish vs marmish only
Nicemustang is right...it is not only about rod but about experience and knowing how to use it as well. Give marmish to somebody who had never fished with it and he most likely will lose to experienced fisherman using stick.
Pikester, give me a shout when you will be going out to try your marmish for the first time, I might have some tips for you.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right - it can certainly happen... I am not some kind of perch fishing wizard, been outfished in perch fishing derbies many times and sometimes even badly - but with marmish vs marmish only
Nicemustang is right...it is not only about rod but about experience and knowing how to use it as well. Give marmish to somebody who had never fished with it and he most likely will lose to experienced fisherman using stick.
Pikester, give me a shout when you will be going out to try your marmish for the first time, I might have some tips for you.

I might hold you to that
Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Please, prove it. Lets make this happen. Lets meet on ice and fish instead of talking. I am dying to see better system then marmish for perch.
hei, bro...I`m with you on this...let`s meet and win )))))) MARMISH - forever )))) if it wasn`t so good, would it survive or the years.....ups, hundreds of years ))
Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
Alright, I have decided to add a Marmish rod to my perch arsenal this winter!Don't know if it will be my thing but a secret weapon couldn't hurt right?
well if you want the secret weapon don't forget the dynamite ........jk good luck with the Marmish.....
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
hei, bro...I`m with you on this...let`s meet and win )))))) MARMISH - forever )))) if it wasn`t so good, would it survive or the years.....ups, hundreds of years ))
I have first two weeks off in December, lets meet on the ice for sure.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Default !!!

marmish rods are probably fine...don't use em myself but to each his own....
big believer in finesse fishing...especially in the doldrum days of mid winter...
will never buy another marmish HOOK tho...
broke too many already. weak materials. AND they don't stand by their quality. complained about breaking hooks to the company and was categorically told to take a flying leap....last $ of mine they'll see....
LOTS of better options out there anyways. my $0.02, cheers, gw
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
will never buy another marmish HOOK tho...
broke too many already. weak materials. AND they don't stand by their quality. complained about breaking hooks to the company and was categorically told to take a flying leap....last $ of mine they'll see....
LOTS of better options out there anyways. my $0.02, cheers, gw
Yeah, I never use any hooks from their website... looks cheap and design is wrong - good quality tungsten/wolfram jigs should have hole through the body.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I never use any hooks from their website... looks cheap and design is wrong - good quality tungsten/wolfram jigs should have hole through the body.
If you get to meet up with Garry B at sundance ask to see the jigs his brothers and him make they are great
Old 11-03-2011, 04:29 PM

Default !!!!

HAH!!!
that's EXACTLY what i meant by "better options" !!!!!
now i'm excited for whitefish and perch!!!!!!
COME ON ICE ALREADY!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-05-2011, 08:53 AM

Advantage of stick and line watching over marmish is that the line is more sensitive than the marmish and the line moves before the tip on the marmish so you are quicker on the reaction time. Too bad I'm in the edmonton area and fish mostly north or we could have a go at it. Don't get me wrong, the marmish is good but I would never have one as a good spring bobber on a rod will do the same thing and you would be able to real in a big pike and be able to play him. Put a kink in your line and watch the kink. You can see the slightest lifting of the hook and the slightest pull when that kink gets lose or tight.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Advantage of stick and line watching over marmish is that the line is more sensitive than the marmish and the line moves before the tip on the marmish so you are quicker on the reaction time. Too bad I'm in the edmonton area and fish mostly north or we could have a go at it. Don't get me wrong, the marmish is good but I would never have one as a good spring bobber on a rod will do the same thing and you would be able to real in a big pike and be able to play him. Put a kink in your line and watch the kink. You can see the slightest lifting of the hook and the slightest pull when that kink gets lose or tight.
Sorry, but any kink on the line will be gone as soon as you will start moving your jig in order to make perch bite. If you fish without moving your bait - yeah that might work to help you see bite but until that happens angler with active hands and marmish will have you badly outfished already. Again - seeing the bite is only 10% of the job in perch fishing IMHO - way more important is to provoke them to bite. Otherwise people with underwater cameras who can see when pech takes bait in the mouth would regularly outfish others - and that never been the case in my experience.
People need to understand MAJOR difference between any spring bobber UL, stick, hand fishing or any other kind of fishing compared to marmish or palm rods - you will transfer vibrations to the jig via help of your hand and strike indicator like no other rod/indicator combo will ever do. You will make jig with no bait look alive and provoke passive perch to bite. There is just no physical way to do it with stick or UL. Sorry.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Not true.

If you are using the proper lighter line...there should be no kinks. If you have kinks...they are all the way down the line. Therefore your sensitivity to bites is diminished by line distance.

I have used the kink method on all rods...including casting a halibut rod for perch...but it is not the best.

Marmish has the fastest reaction time...but it must be fished with finesse... You don't fish the same methods with a marmish as you do with line kinks or a spring tip..although the spring tip is the closest.

Until I learned how to fish it properly...I totally agreed with you. Now...after lessons I must respectfully disagree.

If the perch are aggressively feeding and biting...you can probably fish perch to perch with both rigs. When they are more fickle...marmish fished properly will win every time.

I still like my spring tip rod however.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Smile im buying both

marmish or palm road? ..i am buying both. and some one is going to show me how to use it lol.. I want to try, considering i cant catch perch as good as any off you anglers, missed way more than i have ever caught,sounds like a great rod for me....

anyone want to teach me i am a quick learner lol....

come on sundancefisher or ak47 ill help you get rid off the perch when i am apprenticing under you guys

good perch fishing everyone...cheers
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnavi View Post
marmish or palm road? ..i am buying both. and some one is going to show me how to use it lol.. I want to try, considering i cant catch perch as good as any off you anglers, missed way more than i have ever caught,sounds like a great rod for me....

anyone want to teach me i am a quick learner lol....

come on sundancefisher or ak47 ill help you get rid off the perch when i am apprenticing under you guys

good perch fishing everyone...cheers
Ahhh.. Obi Wan Parnaviobe... You seem strong with the force.

AK47...the Force is strong in this young perch Jedi. Do you think he is ready to apprentice yet?

Has anyone seen this short green guy with funny ears...lives in the swamp? He still has my marmish from last winter.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 AM
Banned

The more I read and hear about the Marmish rod the more I'm interested in it. I will for sure have to pick one up and give it a try. Maybe I will have to sign up for a lesson or two myself...Thankyou
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Gone Fishing

I recieved one from a friend a few years back and it is so sensitive you can see your heart beat at the end of the rod........great rod for perch but I use the regular ice rods for other species that I target.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Ahhh.. Obi Wan Parnaviobe... You seem strong with the force.

AK47...the Force is strong in this young perch Jedi. Do you think he is ready to apprentice yet?

Has anyone seen this short green guy with funny ears...lives in the swamp? He still has my marmish from last winter.
There is no secrets or magic when it comes to marmish or palm rods, it is a matter of practice and mastering it -same like with any other kind of fishing.
By the way just ordered bunch of new jigs and lines from yourbobbersdown, those perch better be fat and ready for my smoker and frying pan. Bring on the ice!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
There is no secrets or magic when it comes to marmish or palm rods, it is a matter of practice and mastering it -same like with any other kind of fishing.
By the way just ordered bunch of new jigs and lines from yourbobbersdown, those perch better be fat and ready for my smoker and frying pan. Bring on the ice!!!
No ice yet...a little forms in the morning...then gone by lunch. With the warm weather coming this weekend...I am thinking please...please get cold fast.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Not true.

If you are using the proper lighter line...there should be no kinks. If you have kinks...they are all the way down the line. Therefore your sensitivity to bites is diminished by line distance.

I have used the kink method on all rods...including casting a halibut rod for perch...but it is not the best.

Marmish has the fastest reaction time...but it must be fished with finesse... You don't fish the same methods with a marmish as you do with line kinks or a spring tip..although the spring tip is the closest.

Until I learned how to fish it properly...I totally agreed with you. Now...after lessons I must respectfully disagree.

If the perch are aggressively feeding and biting...you can probably fish perch to perch with both rigs. When they are more fickle...marmish fished properly will win every time.

I still like my spring tip rod however.

Cheers
I will deliberatly put a kink in my line, just above the water line and watch this kink. With a stick I can wiggle and jiggle that hook like the best of them. Just a note, I have been fishing for over 35 years and perch have allways been my main target. So I'm very confident that my method will out perform a marmish most days. My best ever catching perch was at Laurie Lake east of Elkpoint AB. 30 perch was the limit at that time and probly caught over 100 perch, had my keeper 30 in less than 3 hrs, all over 10" I used to watch my hook on the bottom thru the hole so I have developed the wiggle and jiggle to an art form. This is what works for me. I know that the marmish is good so dont get me wrong, for many people it will work the best for them. The best thing to remember is that practice makes perfection. So get out there and ice fish as much as possible. Sounds like too much, hard home work to me! LOL. Hmmm, watch TV or go fishing? Hard to decide.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Just a note, I have been fishing for over 35 years and perch have allways been my main target. So I'm very confident that my method will out perform a marmish most days. My best ever catching perch was at Laurie Lake east of Elkpoint AB. 30 perch was the limit at that time and probly caught over 100 perch, had my keeper 30 in less than 3 hrs, all over 10"
I have no doubt you can catch perch with your method. But 30 in 3 hr will leave you far behind marmish.

This is over 100 in less then 3hr as well.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up

I love this picture. That's about as close to perfect fishing as I can imagine. It would be a dream come true to catch that many similar sized perch. I just love those little stripey guys. Wow.

Last edited by Garry B; 11-11-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I will deliberatly put a kink in my line, just above the water line and watch this kink. With a stick I can wiggle and jiggle that hook like the best of them. .
Kim, I still can't understand how you can have kink on the line and wiggle and jiggle at the same time. Weight of your bait when jiggling and wiggling will make kink disappear. Can you draw a picture or somehow explain to me how the kink works? Just does not make sense to me. I would love to see how you do this, let me know when you go for perch ice fishing and I will make my best to drive to Edmonton and meet you on ice.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Kim, I still can't understand how you can have kink on the line and wiggle and jiggle at the same time. Weight of your bait when jiggling and wiggling will make kink disappear. Can you draw a picture or somehow explain to me how the kink works? Just does not make sense to me. I would love to see how you do this, let me know when you go for perch ice fishing and I will make my best to drive to Edmonton and meet you on ice.
I will pinch my line between my fingers and the wieght of the hook does make the kink disapear somewhat. I fish with my hook about 1" off the bottom and the perch will pick the hook up and the kink will re-appear. I tend to use my flasher most days now but when the perch are bitting slow or very finicky I will go back to line watching and usualy do very well. The kink does not completly dissapear as I use very light hooks and you can see when the line tightens or gets slack. Most times it will go slack. Most days I am just out to have fun and the perch are bitting good so that is why I use the flasher now. ( easyer to do ). But when I want a meal and they are not bitting good I will use the line watching method of the old days. Never fails me. Great for walleye too as they will pick the hook up and just mouth it. I developed this technique after years of looking down the hole and watching there habits. When wiggling it is just a little and you can see how hard you are doing it as the kink will sta8ten to tight or lose. It works for me.

No doubt the marmish is good as it is some what the same but you are watching the little spring thingy on the end, right?

Last edited by Kim473; 11-12-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I will pinch my line between my fingers and the wieght of the hook does make the kink disapear somewhat. I fish with my hook about 1" off the bottom and the perch will pick the hook up and the kink will re-appear. I tend to use my flasher most days now but when the perch are bitting slow or very finicky I will go back to line watching and usualy do very well. The kink does not completly dissapear as I use very light hooks and you can see when the line tightens or gets slack. Most times it will go slack. Most days I am just out to have fun and the perch are bitting good so that is why I use the flasher now. ( easyer to do ). But when I want a meal and they are not bitting good I will use the line watching method of the old days. Never fails me. Great for walleye too as they will pick the hook up and just mouth it. I developed this technique after years of looking down the hole and watching there habits. When wiggling it is just a little and you can see how hard you are doing it as the kink will sta8ten to tight or lose. It works for me.

No doubt the marmish is good as it is some what the same but you are watching the little spring thingy on the end, right?
Yeah, it is called strike indicator and it will show everything perch is doing down there - plus it transfers movements of your hand to the jig as well. Anyway, whenever ice will be ready give me a shout I would love to see what you doing as it is something new to me.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up Sound Advice

Quote:

This is good advice from Kim473. Technique is quite important.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
This is good advice from Kim473. Technique is quite important.
Nice thing about fishing is you can become an expert at any given method. In the end...people feel most comfortable with the techniques they know the best and are most productive at it.

I can use the kink method also...it does work at times...as does the panfish popper, pencil bobber, marmish and finger held...even a halibut rod worked once for perch.

As long as you are having fun...more power to you in any method you use.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 PM

After two days of watching this thread, I broke down and bought a Marmish rod today before hitting lake X for some early ice rainbows, and must say im convinced that there is something to them. I was really hesitent when I seen the $26, price tag, but after limiting out in Brookies and Rainbows in less than half an hour, and doing that before my accomplice caught one on useing the same hook, and bait, on the ice rod. I dont think it was beginners luck with it, but will find out tomorrow. In my opinion, they are great for sensitivity, and so far well worth the price tag.