Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 02:14 PM

Me and a buddy of mine hit the pond with our float tubes this morning caught 3 not bad size bows...was nice to get on the tube for the first time this year...water is pretty clean and the bows we caught were pretty chunky,will go back again for sure
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
This thread gets two thumbs up... If BBJ can cast across that pond ill buy him a case of real beer. Assuming a conventional trout fishing set up? Or is BBJ talking about aa catfish rod and casting reel, that has a pound of lead tied at the other end? lol
No way he is casting across it. I'll double your offer AB and bet John to prove his bs. A 24 pack of beer is on the line.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
No way he is casting across it. I'll double your offer AB and bet John to prove his bs. A 24 pack of beer is on the line.
I will throw 12 lucky's into the deal. Afterwards we should go for a tear on the river axeman.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM

I was down there this afternoon between the thunderstorms with PaulC. We did great from shore and caught several nice over-wintered rainbows. They are easy to catch on ultra-light tackle and you sure don't have to cast far to catch them.....lol. Nice place, I like it down there.

Steve, were you on the river this aft? We saw a few jet boats out there.

Fish were released and were out of the water for under 20 seconds max. Paul was ready with the camera. I urge people to practice catch and release here and help preserve a good up and coming fish pond.

Here are a few pics from this afternoon:

Last edited by AxeMan; 04-29-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Great pics axe.

No wasnt me out there today.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
And we are talking about a rig consistent with trout fishing, not some surf casting rig or the like. A rig capable of catching a trout there. Let's keep it real.

Distance across the pond at the average point as shown.. 450 feet.
Let's do this. It should be fun. I would be amazed if it could be done but maybe, you never know. This would be equivalent to casting 7/8 of the way across the nsr at Legends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fort Pond.jpg (175.7 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by AxeMan; 04-29-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
And we are talking about a rig consistent with trout fishing, not some surf casting rig or the like. A rig capable of catching a trout there. Let's keep it real.

Distance across the pond at the average point as shown.. 450 feet.
Let's do this. It should be fun. I would be amazed if it could be done but maybe, you never know. This would be equivalent to casting 7/8 of the way across the nsr at Legends.
I would come just for the Lulz. And.. probably to come out and mow my mom and dads grass as they are getting old. lol
Old 04-30-2012, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up Fort Sask Pond

It was alot of fun there. Cool light show from the approaching thunder storms. The rigging to catch them is easy to set up and easy to catch those bows.
I am still choked that the one I had on broke my line. Thats what happens when you use 4 lb test fluorocarbon line.
The pond has a sandy bottom with very little weeds.
Anybody here know what the stocking numbers from last year ?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Anybody here know what the stocking numbers from last year ?
I heard they only put 1000 in there last year, but that's just the word on the street, so I can't say how credible it is

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up April 29, 12 Fishin

Thx Mr. Geezle. Sunday morning I stopped by Hermitage and upper and lower parking lots full of trucks. Lots people heading to river fish.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Thx Mr. Geezle. Sunday morning I stopped by Hermitage and upper and lower parking lots full of trucks. Lots people heading to river fish.
I'm not surprised...even with the clouds threatening to dump some rain, it was still a really nice day to be out.

Although with more and more fisherfolk hitting the river I'm going to have to start migrating away from the crowds soon. I enjoy my quiet time down at the river

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Exclamation Fishing Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I'm not surprised...even with the clouds threatening to dump some rain, it was still a really nice day to be out.

Although with more and more fisherfolk hitting the river I'm going to have to start migrating away from the crowds soon. I enjoy my quiet time down at the river
X2 I enjoy the quiet time of fishing. Now days it is getting harder and harder to find those spots. Internet fishing has an impact on spots that are getting harder and harder to find. I have seen some areas around the NSR look like a garbage dump.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
X2 I enjoy the quiet time of fishing. Now days it is getting harder and harder to find those spots. Internet fishing has an impact on spots that are getting harder and harder to find. I have seen some areas around the NSR look like a garbage dump.
True story...I'm going to have to dedicate a day or two to just hiking around and exploring...leave the crowded easy access spots to those who are too lazy to do a little leg work.

Almost time to put my tinner in the river and see how far I can get before I blow my prop apart!

And yeah, the garbage at a lot of places on the river is ridiculous.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 AM

Exclamation River Quality

Quote:
True story...I'm going to have to dedicate a day or two to just hiking around and exploring...leave the crowded easy access spots to those who are too lazy to do a little leg work.

Almost time to put my tinner in the river and see how far I can get before I blow my prop apart!

And yeah, the garbage at a lot of places on the river is ridiculous.
Axeman and I do the same. The river valley has so much to offer and it is quite unique. I spend time taking photos of the wildlife. On sunday we could hear jet boats on the move on the river. River running quite muddy and a little high.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:

me too, but where to? looks like not many quiet places available along the river. Last time when I fished the river, there was a father together with two little girls (his daughters) making so much noises. The most unbelievable thing was that he cast his line towards other's and pulled everybody's out of the water...... You guys may not understand what happened. we all cast the line to the river and watch the people beside. he cast almost parallel to the river, of course only hook everyone's line.....
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Novice Fishing People

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
me too, but where to? looks like not many quiet places available along the river. Last time when I fished the river, there was a father together with two little girls (his daughters) making so much noises. The most unbelievable thing was that he cast his line towards other's and pulled everybody's out of the water...... You guys may not understand what happened. we all cast the line to the river and watch the people beside. he cast almost parallel to the river, of course only hook everyone's line.....
X2 Novice fishing persons can present many challenges. I like to help but some people but they are set in the methods that they fish.

Last edited by Paul C; 04-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM

are we able to use live bait in that pond
Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 PM

its not in the regulation
Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twytter View Post
are we able to use live bait in that pond
live bait like worms?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Banned

1. they put 1000 trout in this pond last year and are putting 1000 more this year.
2. lots of talk about how crowded the nsr is getting. the 2 main reasons hermitage is so popular is the easy parking and access and the fact that due to the outflow it doesn't freeze in the winter so you can fish it anytime. in the last 3 days i have tried 3 new spots and all three produced and had the shore to myself. tomorrow i,ll scout out another quiet spot in search of my first sturgeon. there are many quiet spots on the nsr right in or near town you just have to do a little legwork.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Exclamation Posting lots of Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
1. they put 1000 trout in this pond last year and are putting 1000 more this year.
2. lots of talk about how crowded the nsr is getting. the 2 main reasons hermitage is so popular is the easy parking and access and the fact that due to the outflow it doesn't freeze in the winter so you can fish it anytime. in the last 3 days i have tried 3 new spots and all three produced and had the shore to myself. tomorrow i,ll scout out another quiet spot in search of my first sturgeon. there are many quiet spots on the nsr right in or near town you just have to do a little legwork.
2. The posting of all of those photos is a major reason why there is so much increase in fishermen.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 PM

BBJ cast across the pond yet?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
BBJ cast across the pond yet?
when bbj is going to make this attempt i think some members should also come along to watch. sounds like fun. i can hardly see across the pond but thats just me.

i agree that pics at hermitage helped bring out more anglers but that was in winter and besides those were great pics. and stories so anyone with cabin fever might have been compelled to get out there. thanks bgsh
Old 05-06-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
when bbj is going to make this attempt i think some members should also come along to watch. sounds like fun. i can hardly see across the pond but thats just me.

i agree that pics at hermitage helped bring out more anglers but that was in winter and besides those were great pics. and stories so anyone with cabin fever might have been compelled to get out there. thanks bgsh
Definitely seems like a lot of people were hitting the Hermitage pond towards the end of the ice season. Word on the street is that there was a guy fishing about half a dozen lines at one point because the fish cops "wouldn't bother coming down there" or something to that effect.

Sad.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Definitely seems like a lot of people were hitting the Hermitage pond towards the end of the ice season. Word on the street is that there was a guy fishing about half a dozen lines at one point because the fish cops "wouldn't bother coming down there" or something to that effect.

Sad.
I thought I saw trout pirate out there.....

Now that the park police show up alot more, hopefully they will be enforcing the fishing regs as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up Spring Trout

Fun day on sunday catching those bigger rainbows in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lake_may6_12.jpg (170.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Awesome fish man!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Very nice fish. I am going to check that place out. Dont worry only C&R for this guy.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Great colors on that feesh! Did BBJ cast across the pond yet?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Thumbs up Spring Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
Very nice fish. I am going to check that place out. Dont worry only C&R for this guy.
Thx..It was fun reeling in that hog with 4 lb fluorocarbon line. Axeman did a super job helping me land that one.