Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 PM

Default Leupold WTH?

I'm looking for an new scope and checked out Leupold, on average 33% more in Canada than the States. What a rip, Ziess is pretty close to par. Why? Did find an outfit that says they will ship some scopes to Canada by the way, they say none with a military app.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:03 PM

What makes a scope a military scope vs a hunting scope?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM

I dunno, mil dots?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm looking for an new scope and checked out Leupold, on average 33% more in Canada than the States. What a rip, Ziess is pretty close to par. Why? Did find an outfit that says they will ship some scopes to Canada by the way, they say none with a military app.
What about Nikon and weaver, what about Prophit River they may have the Leupold you are looking for for less money.
Seems to me that there is more things alot cheeper in the USA like rifles. FS
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Just make sure you read the US shippers international shipping criteria. There should be a section on their website, with all the info. Beware of what they charge as a shipping and handling fee, make sure it is shown up front, and not subject to change afterwards.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 PM

I'll be getting the scope in Canada, but it won't be Leupold. None of the other brands are marked up that much, am dreaming of the Zeiss but it's out of my budget, maybe Vortex Viper if I can find one for under 350, if not, Bushnell here I come. I buy a lot of stuff from the States, anything that has UPS written on it is automatically rejected. Sadly USPS just had a major price increase on international packages.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Banned

I have had a few different scopes, but the last few years I have been getting some higher magnification (getting old I guess) ones. Nothing really high end, but I am quite happy with the Vortex Diamondback I have.
Decided to try a Mueller (APV 4.5-14) and picked one up for my .17 a week or so ago and went to the range today to site it in, nice clear glass, easy to adjust. Only had it shooting for a few hours today,so its a little early to tell but I am pretty happy with it so far.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Maybe try complaining to Leupold and they might do something about it!

Or come and complain about it on a public forum and see all the good that comes from it.....(ya know....like this post of mine....)
Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Getting scopes not brought up here through the correct distributer, and then try getting warrenty work done up here.

Korth has really gotten on the folks who circumvent their little piece of heaven, they now track serial numbers...wait till that piece of good news hits the interweb!

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Getting scopes not brought up here through the correct distributer, and then try getting warrenty work done up here.

Korth has really gotten on the folks who circumvent their little piece of heaven, they now track serial numbers...wait till that piece of good news hits the interweb!
I am not sure how Korth can not fix a Leupold scope that is legit even if its not brought in by Korth...I would be calling Leupold directly if Korth pulled that one...maybe Leupold will have to rethink who does their repair work up here. You can send scopes to Leupold in the US and get it back, I have done it before, so its not a huge deal.

I think Korth needs to be brought down a notch and loose its rights to service Leupold. They kinda act like spoiled kids.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Since I've yet to go down this path I can not comment further.

Just reporting what I've heard.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
I am not sure how Korth can not fix a Leupold scope that is legit even if its not brought in by Korth...I would be calling Leupold directly if Korth pulled that one...maybe Leupold will have to rethink who does their repair work up here. You can send scopes to Leupold in the US and get it back, I have done it before, so its not a huge deal.

I think Korth needs to be brought down a notch and loose its rights to service Leupold. They kinda act like spoiled kids.
Leupold is very aware and approved Korths actions. While it may not everyone happy I can't imagine bearing the expense of a warranty center to support a grey market dealer like Clay from Prophet River. If he doesn't want to abide by international distribution agreements then he or his clients must pay for or be inconvenienced for that action. It is not Korth or Leupolds fault he feels he is above the rules and agreements.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Leupold is very aware and approved Korths actions. While it may not everyone happy I can't imagine bearing the expense of a warranty center to support a grey market dealer like Clay from Prophet River. If he doesn't want to abide by international distribution agreements then he or his clients must pay for or be inconvenienced for that action. It is not Korth or Leupolds fault he feels he is above the rules and agreements.
Heaven forbid someone who does not want to over pay for something that is overpriced and then looks elsewhere for a FAIR price on the same equipment. I will gladly take my chances with any GREY market distributor who isn't trying to bend me over in the name of service......
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Can the owner send the scope back to Prophet river and have them send it Stateside for warranty work?
This is something I have wondered about , although all my Leupold scope were bought elsewhere originally .
As far as Korth and Leupold go, There would be a distributorship and warranty center agreement i would imagine, that's pretty standard.......
Cat
Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Can the owner send the scope back to Prophet river and have them send it Stateside for warranty work?
I was just wondering the same thing... would definitely be something I asked if I was buying a scope from Prophet River.

Quote:
As far as Korth and Leupold go, There would be a distributorship and warranty center agreement i would imagine, that's pretty standard.......
I would be curious if any of the "Canadian premium" goes to Leupold. Not that I would expect Korth or Leupold to disclose the terms of their agreement, but it is always nice to know how many ways you are being taken advantage of.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
Heaven forbid someone who does not want to over pay for something that is overpriced and then looks elsewhere for a FAIR price on the same equipment. I will gladly take my chances with any GREY market distributor who isn't trying to bend me over in the name of service......
If you are happy with the 33% saving dealing with the grey marketer then that is your choice. We all have that choice. I heard that it wasn't that big of savings though dealing in the grey market. I wonder were all that excess money goes? Higher profits for the grey marketer?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Korth does not provide warranty service for scopes with serial numbers showing they were originally sold in the U.S. market after a certain date in compliance with U.S. law. A good point is raised by the OP about why we often pay significantly more here even for Canadian made products than our American neighbors.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Korth does not provide warranty service for scopes with serial numbers showing they were originally sold in the U.S. market after a certain date in compliance with U.S. law.
Reference? What law(s) would that be?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Before you post comments like this, I'd be a bit careful as it may not be true. There are other places to buy Korth imported scopes (such as Northern Tackle) and these scopes are warrantied by Korth as far as I know. They do track serial imported by them and would certainly know that they did the import.
Last time I was in PR, they had very few Leupolds in stock as there are better options for the money where one does not have to pay such a huge Canadian Premium.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Reference? What law(s) would that be?

ARG
Likely that stupid agreement that Canada made with the States about military stuff, and optics, etc.
WE were the only ones that signed the dammed thing.
You can buy a scope privately from England easier and legal than you can from the states.
Cat
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM

What happens to warranty work on Leupolds sold by Bass Pro Shops?

Also, what about the Redfields(leupolds) that are imported with package deals like the Weatherby Vanguard through North Sylva and direct Weatherby dealers? Are these considered 'grey market' scopes too?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Careful that’s not what Clay told me the last time I was talking to him.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Careful that’s not what Clay told me the last time I was talking to him.
I agree, I believe that the Leupolds they sell are Canadian imports. They even had lots of the 'Canadian Edition' ones there a while ago. When they first started up Korth would not deal with them as there was no storefront so they imported, now I believe they get them from NT and other places that are dealing Korth products.
I bought a CDS there a few weeks ago and send the serial etc to Korth and had no issues getting the dial.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Wow, Rich ....................simply wow!

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM

I would love to here your scope options for under $350 bucks.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Wow, Rich ....................simply wow!
209X50 is Rich Mellon? That explains a lot then.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
209X50 is Rich Mellon? That explains a lot then.
I thought for sure that was public knowledge.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I thought for sure that was public knowledge.
Sorry, I'm not on here a lot...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If you are happy with the 33% saving dealing with the grey marketer then that is your choice. We all have that choice. I heard that it wasn't that big of savings though dealing in the grey market. I wonder were all that excess money goes? Higher profits for the grey marketer?
The savings are defiantly not 33%, that's the price difference. By the time you add shipping and brokerage fees from the UPS thieves you've eaten about half of the savings. Still no excuse for the gouging that goes on though, no other manufacture I checked out is close to 33% difference and as I said Zeiss is close to par.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:26 PM

209x50 is in a class of his own when it comes to reality!