Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Unhappy Flasher which one?

Need some advice, if youe were to but a flasher for ice fishing which one would you recomend? ive looked at so many i am confussed, any feed back on the new show down? or do you go with a vexlar or hummingbird?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM

I really like my Hummingbird ICE-55 but I have no experiences with the others to truly compare. The ICE-55 works well, controls are nice to use with gloves, easily portable and battery lasts a long time. I can't really imagine not ice fishing with it anymore.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM

Lots of choices. Do you have a boat? If you do or are going to get one you might want to look at something that would serve booth purposes. Lowrance M68c Multi-Season Kit has GPS as well as a flasher or regular sonar mode.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

If you are looking for just a flasher I have 2 Marcums and you can't go wrong with any of their units. I like the dual transducer and the higher power of the LX5. The Ice 55 from Hummingbird looks like a really nice unit as well.

For a good comparison of the Flashers see: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...?topic=38003.0
Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

I have a Fl 20 ultra pack from vexilar and love it. All the units are basically capable of the same thing it just comes down to a matter of zoom capabilities and cone angles. Your high end ones ($$$) have a couple of zoom ranges and 2 different angles of sonar cone usualy available. I love the vex and like the above, wouldnt go fishing without it. Teh Vex has a low power option which i like for fishing larger lures or shallow water, you get less power output so you do not get alot of clutter on the screen.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:14 PM

I have FL-18 and love it,the things I like are the dual transducer, low power mode, zoom and bottom lock. For what its worth any flasher is a good thing, you can't go wrong with any of the major three. Humingbird, macum or vexlar will all catch you fish
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Everyone says round dials are hard to read and that is the supposed advantage of the showdown, but it takes about 2 minutes to figure out the round one, and if you have one with zoom, its basically vertical anyway. Vex has been out there forever and is a sure thing. Marcum is a general new comer to the scene but have good products. Ive heard good and bad about the showdown. Humminbird has been around sonar forever and probably make a good unit. Lowrance has a LCD screen unit with flasher mode and a traditional scrolling. LCD doesnt work good in cold weather. Go with a marcum, vexilar or humminbird.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 PM

I am in the same boat. Done a lot of research and i am going with the Ice-55 by Humminbird. Just have to find it on sale somewhere lol. It varies from $480-$550 American
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
I am in the same boat. Done a lot of research and i am going with the Ice-55 by Humminbird. Just have to find it on sale somewhere lol. It varies from $480-$550 American
I was out looking at these today. They are $499.99 At the Fishin Hole which is $50 less than WSS if it helps.

Last edited by Izumi; 11-05-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling