Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 AM

Default Police Outpost Lake ACA aeration stopped

Folks,

During a on line meeting I learned that the ACA was stopping aeration of Police Outpost Lake and F&W anticipated winterkill.
More later.

Don
Old 10-05-2020, 05:53 AM

It has been proven time & time .If you want to over winter fish .In shallow lakes.They require aeration.There are provinces all over Canada that aerate lakes,in the winter.Why is it every 3-5 years this item ,raises the issue.The govt,hired lawyers,to get a legal advise.From that.The determination.Was ,signage[THIN ICE CONDITIONS],ENTER AT OWN RISK.Encircle the aerator holes with fencing & signage Open water,thin ice.In some cases close the lake to ice fishing,when ice on the lake is present.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:05 AM

For your information This topic ; If ACA succeeds in shutting down the aeration at Police .imo It will start happening,to ALL aerated trout lakes,thoroughout the province
Old 10-05-2020, 07:35 AM

Was there a reason given for the decision? I thought this issue had been sorted out. I would hate to see mass winterkills again.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:41 AM

this seems a little ridiculous as they promote this lake as a trophy lake

but lets promote safe injection sites instead
Old 10-05-2020, 07:50 AM

Don, sad news, and not as surprising as it ought to be. Alberta deserves better fisheries management - at so many levels.

Let’s hope this doesn’t occur, there are really not many quality stocked trout waters left and we can’t afford to lose one more.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:45 AM

As I understand it ACA has had problems with meeting the legal requirements for running an aeration system at POL every year since they started it 4 or 5 years ago. They're legally required to maintain fencing around the polynya created by the aerators but the wind can be so severe there (up to 110kph) that the polynya expands and contracts to such a degree that maintaining the fencing - up to 900m of it - has proved impossible. Fencing has also been blown onto surrounding farmland. Net result is that provincial requirements are not met and aeration becomes a risk to the public and to the staff trying to maintain it. I think they tried different locations for installing the aerators but because wind direction is variable the result was the same.
I agree that without aeration stocked fisheries would be severely affected but think this is a one off. I believe there is strong support from ACA and AEP for maintaining stocked fisheries and aerating where possible. Last I heard ACA is even looking to aerate more ponds though I suspect its revenues might be down from major sponsors who are experiencing economic problems and from the lack of licence revenues from American and other visitors.
Would be interested to hear of ideas for solving the problem at POL - I can't think of any.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
It has been proven time & time .If you want to over winter fish .In shallow lakes.They require aeration.There are provinces all over Canada that aerate lakes,in the winter.Why is it every 3-5 years this item ,raises the issue.The govt,hired lawyers,to get a legal advise.From that.The determination.Was ,signage[THIN ICE CONDITIONS],ENTER AT OWN RISK.Encircle the aerator holes with fencing & signage Open water,thin ice.In some cases close the lake to ice fishing,when ice on the lake is present.
Do you know how to use punctuation marks?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Not positive news for sure and as we are looking for a solution to some of these trout lakes, I'd thought make a few suggestions which may or may not be worth considering.

1) Any lake with trophy potential like Police, needs aeration end of story! To that end, would it make sense to close them and block road access if possible. What I mean is a May 1 to Oct 31 fishing season. This would not only protect the trophy fish we are all hoping to catch against higher mortality ice fishing, but may reduce the risk of legal liability if the lake is (Closed 100%) during the months when ice is present.

2) If the lake is closed to fishing 100% from Nov 1 to May 1, would it not remove the requirement to install fencing around the aerators? Since the risk is now gone if the lake is closed? Put up a few more signs to hammer home the fact?
Old 10-07-2020, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Not positive news for sure and as we are looking for a solution to some of these trout lakes, I'd thought make a few suggestions which may or may not be worth considering.

1) Any lake with trophy potential like Police, needs aeration end of story! To that end, would it make sense to close them and block road access if possible. What I mean is a May 1 to Oct 31 fishing season. This would not only protect the trophy fish we are all hoping to catch against higher mortality ice fishing, but may reduce the risk of legal liability if the lake is (Closed 100%) during the months when ice is present.

2) If the lake is closed to fishing 100% from Nov 1 to May 1, would it not remove the requirement to install fencing around the aerators? Since the risk is now gone if the lake is closed? Put up a few more signs to hammer home the fact?
Fish tracker I believe exactly as you say.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:38 AM

It is closed and gated, but lawyers are involved so common sense is out the window.