Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Looks like a perfect way to introduce a young fellow to hunting.

The Bison hunt maybe not so much.

I know a number of people who have tried that hunt, with only a a few successes.

For one, they are only huntable outside the park. Which is only possible after the swamps freeze over and there is snow on the ground, often a lot of snow.

Another issue I know about is that one has only a very narrow window of opportunity.

The closest area where they can be found is very wet and next to impossible to traverse before freeze-up. Once the swamps freeze they head back into the park for the winter.

Another thing to consider is the area is prone to property crime. You take a huge risk leaving anything unattended for more then a few hours.

The last issue I know of is that many are infected with tuberculosis.

Another issue is they are massive animals. way bigger then any Moose. field dressing and packing out requires a big commitment and some serious manpower. And you may discover your animal is one of the infected ones after all the work is done.

I'm sure there are other issues I wasn't told about.

My foster brother and a couple of close friends are among those who have hunted them.

But I suspect you know all that, so good luck, go get em.
The little man has been on a couple bison hunts already, although they were the zama hunts. That being said 40 kms from the truck is 40 kms from the truck regardless of where you are.

As for breaking down a bison I’ve done a dozen so far, so I’m guessing these ones will be no different.

Friends of mine hunt them every year successfully, so I’m sure we’ll be able to locate them outside of the park. With 3 or 4 Super Wide Track Skandics and skimmers there’s no place we can’t go I don’t imaging.

Also being they aren’t game animals we can fly around before hand and make sure they’re in a reachable spot. Take the boy up for some flight time and see the north country from the air, he loves flying too.

Thanks for the heads up and info
Old 10-29-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know I'm not on your Christmas card list, but this is a tremendous ending to the last thread. Your son couldn't look any happier. Wonderful pics. It is easy to tell you are a good father. Congrats.
Thank you sir, I appreciate that !

He really did have a blast and I’m incredibly proud of him
Old 10-30-2020, 03:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The little man has been on a couple bison hunts already, although they were the zama hunts. That being said 40 kms from the truck is 40 kms from the truck regardless of where you are.

As for breaking down a bison I’ve done a dozen so far, so I’m guessing these ones will be no different.

Friends of mine hunt them every year successfully, so I’m sure we’ll be able to locate them outside of the park. With 3 or 4 Super Wide Track Skandics and skimmers there’s no place we can’t go I don’t imaging.

Also being they aren’t game animals we can fly around before hand and make sure they’re in a reachable spot. Take the boy up for some flight time and see the north country from the air, he loves flying too.

Thanks for the heads up and info
I kinda though you'd know what you were up against.

My post was more for those who might think it sounded easy.

My friends thought it would be easy, they learned the hard way.

There should be a plane and pilot available at the Fort, talked to one a couple of weeks ago and he talked as if they had a tough summer up there.
You might even get a discount.

I love flying as well. I even took lessons when I was in high school but didn't have the finances to complete the training. It's something I've always regretted, not being able to get my pilots license.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-30-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I kinda though you'd know what you were up against.

My post was more for those who might think it sounded easy.

My friends thought it would be easy, they learned the hard way.

There should be a plane and pilot available at the Fort, talked to one a couple of weeks ago and he talked as if they had a tough summer up there.
You might even get a discount.

I love flying as well. I even took lessons when I was in high school but didn't have the finances to complete the training. It's something I've always regretted, not being able to get my pilots license.
Ya, it’s definitely not a small undertaking either way you slice it !

I’m on the home stretch with my license now, with any luck I’ll have everything wrapped up by early in the new year. I regret not getting it sooner, can’t believe I missed all those years not being able to fly around.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:59 AM

Looks like you had a great trip. Good memories!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Torkdiesel;4258062]Ya, it’s definitely not a small undertaking either way you slice it !

I’m on the home stretch with my license now, with any luck I’ll have everything wrapped up by early in the new year. I regret not getting it sooner, can’t believe I missed all those years not being able to fly around.[/QUOTE]

image.jpg

got this beauty arranged for your first solo......good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-30-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Torkdiesel;4258062]Ya, it’s definitely not a small undertaking either way you slice it !

I’m on the home stretch with my license now, with any luck I’ll have everything wrapped up by early in the new year. I regret not getting it sooner, can’t believe I missed all those years not being able to fly around.

Attachment 168324

got this beauty arranged for your first solo......good luck.[/QUOTE]

Sweet Jesus ! That’s fancier then anything they’d ever let me fly lol

And I couldn’t imagine the bill to install that glass cockpit in a cub 😉
Old 10-31-2020, 06:01 PM

thats some dandy looking animals. the Turkeys gonna look great in a wall mount half strut!
Congratulations young man!