Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post

Also thinking about coyote or fox around a couple hoods on jackets. I know I can get them for like $150 or whatever in the city, I’d be looking for something about half that in price, doesn’t need to be big or fancy, fine with some holes blown in it as I’ll be cutting it up.
$150 for a tanned coyote sounds cheap... In a retail setting.
I saw some at Tandy's a couple years ago, for $180-$200.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 PM
AO Sponsor

I have about 100 dark eastern beaver kicking around here, professionally tanned, beautiful leather if youre intrested, have a bundle of western 3xl beaver just back from the tanneey too.

Also have coyote, red fox, gray fox, blue fox, silver fox, coyote, wolf lynx bobcat raccoon badger fisher muskrat

Tanned fur nicely laid out on our webstore... have a look

https://canadiancoyotecompany.com/co...ons/tanned-fur
Old 11-01-2020, 04:08 AM

As a glove and mitt maker for the last 8 years I have to say the quality of the tan job is what makes a gloves wear and what determines the life span of a pair of mitts and gloves. You need a very soft and supple leather to make a good wearing glove. Yes the cheap orange bottle will get the job done but don't expect to much . In my opinion its to tan wall hangers . I've used a lot of hides from different tannerys and the best hides and furs are tanned by a local colony in Alberta. I have ranchers,farmer, welders and some mechanics get 2 years out of a pair of elkhide gloves and 4 days out of cheap imported Watsons. Any fur on tanned has to be super soft and a bit stretchy to to make working Mitts. I had a guy bring some zebra, horse and coyote hides by to make a pair of mitts , tanned by some homemade content. Wow real cr,,,p . The stitch holes were rippng out, cracking and flaking . To make a quality product. Start with a quality hide . Ive seen some of Marty's S tanned beaver hides. Quality stuff for mitts.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:09 AM

Default Tanned fur

Cody if these are for sale or a gift for someone, your name follows the item. If
I got one of your pieces and it fell apart or went stiff and hard or all the fur fell out, I would say Cody made this. Same as I would say if it was beautiful and functioned well. 30+ years experience of making and selling wildlife art.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
As a glove and mitt maker for the last 8 years I have to say the quality of the tan job is what makes a gloves wear and what determines the life span of a pair of mitts and gloves. You need a very soft and supple leather to make a good wearing glove. Yes the cheap orange bottle will get the job done but don't expect to much . In my opinion its to tan wall hangers . I've used a lot of hides from different tannerys and the best hides and furs are tanned by a local colony in Alberta. I have ranchers,farmer, welders and some mechanics get 2 years out of a pair of elkhide gloves and 4 days out of cheap imported Watsons. Any fur on tanned has to be super soft and a bit stretchy to to make working Mitts. I had a guy bring some zebra, horse and coyote hides by to make a pair of mitts , tanned by some homemade content. Wow real cr,,,p . The stitch holes were rippng out, cracking and flaking . To make a quality product. Start with a quality hide . Ive seen some of Marty's S tanned beaver hides. Quality stuff for mitts.
Do you have a contact for tanning? Thanks
Old 11-01-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat27 View Post
Do you have a contact for tanning? Thanks
Sure . I can pm you

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Sure . I can pm you

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Could i get that contact info as well, would be much appreciated!

THANKS