Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Default 3/4wt Bamboo Rod

There’s just over two weeks left for a chance to win a 7’ 6″ 3/4 weight cane rod with two tips, built on a Payne 98 taper, by internationally known rod maker and AO member, Don Andersen.
The draw will be held at 7:30pm on Nov 7th. Don donated this rod to support the fishery enhancement and education projects run by the Northern Lights Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada e.g. work towards the reestablishment of a viable Arctic Grayling population, particularly in the upper Pembina river; the reestablishment of Hasse Lake as a trout fishery; riparian protection with angler access points along Stauffer Creek, the Raven River and Dogpound Creek; replacing damaged educational and Alberta Angler Walk of Fame signage at Muir Lake; providing public fishing and conservation education, and offering kids fly tying sessions at schools, youth groups, Uncles at Large etc.
You can get raffle tickets no later than Nov 6th at https://northern-lights-tuc.square.s...-rod-raffl…/8… They're just $5 each, or even better, 5 for $20. However, the AGLC Raffle license: #513791 will only allow tickets to be purchased or sold within Alberta and to those at least 18 years of age. For more information on the Chapter, its projects or the raffle please email nlft.tu@gmail.com
Thanks to all who have and who will support Northern Lights Fly Fishers in its ongoing conservation and education efforts!
Old 10-20-2020, 03:47 PM

Hi Peter

Just letting you know that a 404 Error comes up on the link to the raffle.

Cheers
Old 10-20-2020, 03:52 PM

This link should work
https://northern-lights-tuc.square.s...affle-ticket/8
Old 10-20-2020, 09:27 PM

Default Feeling excluded.....

Good luck to those of you that are allowed to participate, I’m sure it’s a worthy cause.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:39 PM

is there someone I can EMT money to?
I know nothing about the "Gpay" thing mentioned in the link.
Cat
Old 10-20-2020, 11:17 PM

Just ordered mine up. I don't know what Gpay is either Cat, if you follow the links you can use a credit card.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Just ordered mine up. I don't know what Gpay is either Cat, if you follow the links you can use a credit card.
Well, that was interesting!
Yeah, I tend to shy away from using a card if I can , but it seemed to be okay in the end , thanks!

Cat
Old 10-21-2020, 06:54 AM

I've always felt the same, especially using a credit card online. Still not overly comfortable with it, but it seems to be the way of our world these days.
You realize I'm going to win that rod, but I'm sure they appreciate your donation!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I've always felt the same, especially using a credit card online. Still not overly comfortable with it, but it seems to be the way of our world these days.
You realize I'm going to win that rod, but I'm sure they appreciate your donation!

Sorry, but I bought my tickets long ago* so it's in the bag!

*So long ago that I had to root around a catchall drawer to find them!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:33 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
[/COLOR]

Sorry, but I bought my tickets long ago* so it's in the bag!

*So long ago that I had to root around a catchall drawer to find them!

Hate to disappoint you both but I just checked my ticket numbers and they certainly look like the ones that are going to be chosen.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
Hate to disappoint you both but I just checked my ticket numbers and they certainly look like the ones that are going to be chosen.

Ha ha! Stan, I'll let you try it out on Spring next year!

BTW, Muir was yielding some nice big browns this fall. On October 10 had another fat 20 incher. Too bad the weather soured so early but the Fort trout pond is still open so likely will try this week, from the shore though 'cause I put the canoe away for the winter!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Ha ha! Stan, I'll let you try it out on Spring next year!

BTW, Muir was yielding some nice big browns this fall. On October 10 had another fat 20 incher. Too bad the weather soured so early but the Fort trout pond is still open so likely will try this week, from the shore though 'cause I put the canoe away for the winter!
Nice!

I tried Spring on the 17th Saturday for a couple hours and the guides kept icing up. She was damn chilly out on the lake with that NW wind. Two fish on but none to the boat.

I haven't put the boat away just yet. Ever hopeful to get out another day or two for a couple hours.

Always find it rather mournful when open stillwater season is done.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:33 PM

Sorry to have to tell you, Pipco and Mr. Flyguy, but you'll have to keep using your fibreglass rods for another year! The rod raffle draw was held at 7:30 pm this evening at Kenilworth Community Hall and we were able to reach the lucky winner by phone immediately. If you had tickets but it wasn't you who got the call please accept instead the thanks of the Northern Lights Flyfishers Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada for your support. The Chapter's projects for 2021, which the raffle proceeds will support, are not finalized as yet but will likely include some additional riparian protection along Dogpound Creek, further work on helping restore a viable grayling population in the upper Pembina and hopefully some angling education.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:51 PM

Well, unlike somebody else in the news today, I'll be a gracious loser in the draw. Thanks to Don A. for the contribution.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSL View Post
Sorry to have to tell you, Pipco and Mr. Flyguy, but you'll have to keep using your fibreglass rods for another year! The rod raffle draw was held at 7:30 pm this evening at Kenilworth Community Hall and we were able to reach the lucky winner by phone immediately. If you had tickets but it wasn't you who got the call please accept instead the thanks of the Northern Lights Flyfishers Chapter of Trout Unlimited Canada for your support. The Chapter's projects for 2021, which the raffle proceeds will support, are not finalized as yet but will likely include some additional riparian protection along Dogpound Creek, further work on helping restore a viable grayling population in the upper Pembina and hopefully some angling education.
Like x 10
The club does some great work. Thank you!
Old 11-08-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Well, unlike somebody else in the news today, I'll be a gracious loser in the draw. Thanks to Don A. for the contribution.
Don has donated a bamboo rod towards the Chapter's fundraising for many years. It's well worth checking out his website http://bamboorods.ca/ for information on their construction and some valuable fly fishing tips and information. He may even have a rod or two left for sale though stock is limited as his rods are in high demand.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:37 AM

Congrats to the lucky winner!

I'll buy more tickets next year!