Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 10:18 AM

The only savage still in my safe is a model 2 G .22 that my little siblings live for grouse, every other one I owned made me want to sell them faster than I bought them. You won’t regret a husqvarna.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
The only savage still in my safe is a model 2 G .22 that my little siblings live for grouse, every other one I owned made me want to sell them faster than I bought them. You won’t regret a husqvarna.
Especially the Axis, I wanted a .223 and I didn't want to pay much... I don't think I owned it 6 months.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Well, I'll depart from the group on this one. I have owned many fire arms, I currently own 4 savages, and two of them are the most accurate rifles in my safe.
One is a very expensive custom gun and the only part that savage built is the action so it isn't a fair comparison and the other is a 7mm08 Stainless Axis.

When I purchased the Axis, the previous owner told me he was surprised at the accuracy and said it likes Federal Blue box. I took the rifle to the range and the first group cloverleafed tight. I did another group and achieved the same results, everytime I take it to the range my friends and others around are surprised by that cheap little savage.

The value of the Axis' can not be debated, is it as beautiful as a Husky... well that's up to you, but will a savage break your heart when drop it and scratch the plastic stock compared to the hand polished wood of a Husky?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 AM

What about British Small Arms aka BSA Monarch line or CF2?
Old 11-18-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
Just noticed this older thread and it got me to wondering exactly the same thing. Very seldom do you see any mention of the fine BSA Monarchs.
To me, they represent one of the finest older rifles available, and they sell for much less than their high quality should bring... around $800.00

I have a couple of them. One in .270 Win and the other in 30-06. Build quality and accuracy is second to none and the action is right up there with the best of them.. What seems to be the issue, other than it was built in the last century.
If you have one, I would be keen on hearing your comments.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Just noticed this older thread and it got me to wondering exactly the same thing. Very seldom do you see any mention of the fine BSA Monarchs.
To me, they represent one of the finest older rifles available, and they sell for much less than their high quality should bring... around $800.00

I have a couple of them. One in .270 Win and the other in 30-06. Build quality and accuracy is second to none and the action is right up there with the best of them.. What seems to be the issue, other than it was built in the last century.
Shhhh. Don’t let the cat out of the bag, there quite a few bargains to be had on BSA rifles.
Old 11-18-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

One of the most accurate hunting rifles I ever shot is a factpory BSA Royal in 257 Roberts- no mods to the riflle.
2 consecutive , 3 shot, 200 meter 1 MOA groups were shot this rifle with a 4X Redfield scope.
Cat
Old 11-18-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
The 1600 is a gem. Its a great evolution of the Mauser.

Its only shortcoming (if you can call it that) is because its a small ring 98 design that is neither a clone of the 96 or 98 it sometimes takes some rejigging to get other Mauser parts to fit like, triggers, stocks etc. but it can be done. Some dedicated 1600 parts have been produced but not nearly on the same scale as they have for M98/FN dimension actions.

I actually just back from South Africa where I hunted with a 1600 in 9.3x62. A wonderful and classic rifle.

I have owned Savages and still have a model 11 in .223. Its accurate but not a patch on the 1600 ITO my personal tastes in rifles, function and aesthetics. Its soulless. Those old Mausers have character and are well designed classics. I would take a 1600 over an Axis four ways to Sunday....
That sums it up.....soul.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:10 PM

I've got some very accurate savage rifles, I don't have any Vanguards that can match the Savage rifles in accuracy.

That is unless you believe my Nosler M48 is just a Vanguard with lipstick..
Old 11-19-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steyr Luxus View Post
I have a BSA in 30.06(I can't find the actual model) built on a 1914 Enfield action. I got it for $100 from some guys I was working with, came with a low end 4x Bushnell. I upgraded to a 3x9 Bushnell elite when I first got it. The only repair I've had to do is replace the mag spring.

This year I got a new Boyds stock for it, and just got a new Timney trigger for it(haven't got to shoot it since). Solid gun and shoots pretty near 1" groups with factory ammo.

Last edited by CDN offroader; 11-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:16 PM

I'd say it's rifle dependant. I have a sav 11 in 243 that puts 87gr v max under an inch regularly as well as a axis in 22-250 that will do touching groups as long as attention is paid to stock hold. Both of these guns will hold sub moa out past 500 yds. The 243 will door it out past 800.
They are clunky plastic ugly looking guns but man they shoot. Only thing I have done to them is trigger work ( both are non accu-trigger models ) and stiffened the forestock with epoxy and carbon shafts and shortend lop. Both guns were purchased new for under 450$.

Next I have a Parker hale in 308 paid 450$ used. it will shoot 165 accubonds into an inch and holds 1.5 moa (15" groups) to 1000 yds ( best I have been able to get out of it to date) other than adjusting the factory trigger I have bedded the stock and shortened the lop.

A few years back I found a sadly abused Midland in 30-06 for sale with a sticker price of 350$. It was on consignment so I offered 150$ and we agreed on 180$. Gun was in bad shape externally. Bore looked like it had never been cleaned stock was birch and most of the finish worn right off and quite a bit of surface rust on barrel and receiver. 4 hours of cleaning the bore. 4 hrs of stripping and refinishing the stock and a few hours if rust cleanup and reblueing and it was ready to test out.
180 gr hornady interlocks ( flat base) put 3 shots touching at 100. The trigger was set at a passable weight and so given the accuracy I haven't touched anything else on the gun. It will consistently put three rounds touching each other even when my wife or brother shoot it. It also has extremely soft recoil. My plan is for my son ( now 11) to use it to hunt big game. I had an old after market mauser stock kicking around for years so I decided rather than chopping the original wood to just fit this stock. I bedded and stiffened the plastic stock and cut the lop down then took the gun out for a test drive. My first three shots landed 2" lower and 3/4 right of original zero but all three rounds touched each other...

I would say either direction can result in great shooting accurate rifles. The older ones are sure pretty compared to a savage, and probably better made. But pure accuracy I think the savages are just as good or better than the older husky, Parker,Midland,bsa rifles in general most of those older guns are easily accurate enough for 99% of the hunting scenarios they will be used in and some will absolutely astound you with their accuracy and they look and feel much nicer than the savages.
That aside my two personal savages can sure shoot
Old 11-19-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob123 View Post
How does an older sweedish husqvarna compare to the cnc cut guns of today? I am looking for my first centerfire rifle after shooting 22 and 12 gauge only for the last 10 years.

I was all set on either an axis or 111 savage in 30 06, but then I stumbled upon the husqvarna 1600 and really like how they look and are finished compared to plastic stocked guns of today. So if I picked one with a very good bore, would I be giving up accuracy compared to new lower end savage out to 5 or 600 yards?

Thanks
I had a nice 16– Husky and now have a Kimber in 3006. Other then a lighter wallet there’s really isn’t much difference for hunting IMO.
600 yards is a reach for either of them for me.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:06 PM

Default Old guns

I personally prefer the older stuff other than weight I have a couple old Tikka M65's .338 and 30.06 Weatherby Mark V in .270 mag and a Veore in 7mm all of them shoot well enough for me Of course it could be me who's getting old......
Old 11-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Default Husqvarna 1600 vs modern savage accuracy

Both will shoot well as long as the one behind the stock does what they need to do.

I find the savage with the accutrigger helpful with consistent finger placement and the cues for trigger activation. So I tend to shoot a little better with that one off the bench.

I am a sucker for older items and am able to cope with a bit more weight for now since my WT season is short(ish) walks to the blind (or if I am walking lots of bush the savage 99 with peep sights).

Next build will be a lighter weight rig for out to 300 yards as a friend has convinced me Elk camp is fun. Lol.

Love to hear a range report on whatever you decide on!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2020, 02:32 PM

I like old walnut/blued steel. But the savages will proubably be more accurate.
Old Huskies are great value
Parker hales too, and the blueing on some of them are beautiful
Old brno's are sexy and of the highest quality
Buy anything used and always get your money back.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
I personally prefer the older stuff other than weight I have a couple old Tikka M65's .338 and 30.06 Weatherby Mark V in .270 mag and a Veore in 7mm all of them shoot well enough for me Of course it could be me who's getting old......
Just need to point out, a Husky 1600 is a fair bit lighter than the rifles you listed. The standard is about the same weight as a Winchester Featherweight, the lightweight is a bit lighter.

With a 2-7x32 scope on mine, they both come in around 7.5 lbs loaded. In my world thats plenty light enough to keep in hand all day. You'd have trouble finding a rifle with a wood stock and Mauser action from any era that weighs much less than that.