Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Ever wonder why some people read these threads but are scared to post …….. yup ……. lol

I read these sections all the time …….. but to be brave enough to post ……… not so much …….. these are almost as crazy as the general threads !!!!!!!!
In the beginning it was oak club better than hickory club.....10 foot spear better than 8.5 foot spear.....35 rem better than 30-30......270 better than 30-06...and so on.

Add a campfire along with rum and hilarity may ensue.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
I like to get information from all sources before I decide and often there are folks that just can't except the alternate view point. I would prefer we are civil and at a certain point agree to disagree.

I will ask you this. Are we supposed to accept the opinion of anonymous people posting under an avatar as the gospel unadulterated truth? No doubt they have experience and can contribute go the conversation but there are other sources. Some folks very quickly and derisively discounted an alternate view and it provoked a personal attack (maybe try counting to 10?)

I dont understand why You Tube is dismissed out of hand as a bad source of info. I also don't accept that the experts only reside on AO. Experience is invaluable but when we dismiss contrary data using our own prejudice we can miss something.

For what it's worth I've watched about 6 of the 'Real Gunsmith' episodes. He is definitely old school ( but in a charmingly annoying way lol). A little more digging and he appears to have been a gunsmith for 52 years. Working for both Speer, Burris and as a private custom builder. His bio notes that he built pressure rifles for Speer....so there's that.

If the whole video is watched to where the 3200 fps 7 mag reference was made. The bullets are seated way out and he emphatically stated "in my rifle". Meaning, I assume, a custom Randy Selby rifle.

I don't doubt he gets that velocity and will accept it at face value to be acceptable/safe in the rifle he referred to (unless he was fired by Speer then all bets are off lol) I dont think the implication was any nimrod with a stock model 700 should be chasing that.

Interesting bunny trail this thread took. The sarcasm laced tirade was a little over the top, but maybe it was provoked to a certain degree?

For what it's worth I recently sold all my rifles and replaced it with one. 7 MM rem mag. ~2900 fps with a 160 gr Nosler partition. What more do I need? Brass and bullets are relatively more available than the other 7's.

I've also owned more 30-06's than Carter has liver pills. I see no clear benefit to switching unless you just want something new. The old Springfield can send a 165 g pill down range at nearly the same velocity (or same if you want to argue....which we did).
If you can't tell that was an attempt at levity...

This ain't hard folks. Published max loads should be consulted across a variety of loading manuals. Then, if you are intent at going above and beyond, Quickload will help you with pressures. If you still fill the need to be a hot rodder, you deserve whatever you get. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

I just hope you shoot on your own land, not at a range where someone else is seated a few feet away.

PS: When people are being dumb with explosives, don't look for people to give out lollipops with their warnings.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Published smublished max loads...

If they didn’t want you to fill the case right up they would have made it smaller...
Old 11-20-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you can't tell that was an attempt at levity...

This ain't hard folks. Published max loads should be consulted across a variety of loading manuals. Then, if you are intent at going above and beyond, Quickload will help you with pressures. If you still fill the need to be a hot rodder, you deserve whatever you get. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

I just hope you shoot on your own land, not at a range where someone else is seated a few feet away.

PS: When people are being dumb with explosives, don't look for people to give out lollipops with their warnings.
There was a lot of sarcasm in your levity....but dont worry I saw that.

Why would anyone be scared to sit beside someone shooting 160 grain Noslers out of a 7mm at 2900? Book loads.

If you took that out of my post then I'm concerned you are missing the point.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Why would anyone be scared to sit beside someone shooting 160 grain Noslers out of a 7mm at 2900? Book loads.

I am thinking he is referring to the guys pushing the 160gr loads at 3200fps.
Old 11-20-2020, 02:51 PM

The third edition Hornady manual shows a 7x57 getting 2900 FPS with a 154 gr bullet. Would seem odd the 7mm rem mag could only beat that by 100 FPS.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:

2900 out of a 7mag? No problem, but I move away from anyone saying they are shooting bullets way past the published safe load data , no matter what cartridge they are shooting
Cat
Old 11-20-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
2900 out of a 7mag? No problem, but I move away from anyone saying they are shooting bullets way past the published safe load data , no matter what cartridge they are shooting
Cat
For those not in the know, here is a good link to read and completely understand...

http://www.frfrogspad.com/intballi.htm
Old 11-20-2020, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Well hellovahunter now has a hellovalot of time to go hunting with his 85,000# PSI handloads and his 7mm rem mag, but this was just starting to get interesting oh well back to stinky and the grendel I guess
leave me out of these wiener measuring contests lol, roll it out and flop it on the table with the Grendel and that'll be that

does the stuff y'all chase wear kevlar or something?
Old 11-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
leave me out of these wiener measuring contests lol, roll it out and flop it on the table with the Grendel and that'll be that

does the stuff y'all chase wear kevlar or something?
The Grendel's kinda like the Caitlyn Jenner of cartridges.

I just couldn't resist.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
The Grendel's kinda like the Caitlyn Jenner of cartridges.

I just couldn't resist.
Well...I hadn’t heard them described as “Beautiful” before but whatever floats your boat if you’re into that kind of thing...

I just couldn't resist.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 PM

This is strange. I came to read about a lovely cartridge. But oh no. No such thing. Why are people talking about male genitalia on tables and Kaitlyn Jenner? Those two things do not belong together
Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 PM

Default Closed

Better for some if I close this. Otherwise gonna be a few more with lotsa time to go hunting, knitting, or watching Jerry Springer..