Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
I had an older 14' starcraft tinner, it was ok for 2 people and the dog, but was a little cramped with all my tackle boxes, cooler, etc. I have tried to bring less tackle boxes......................just did not seem to work though! It was ok in rough stormy weather, but one had to be careful though, being a short shaft transom boat, the water would swamp the back of the boat when comming comming into shore during crappy weather, or back trolling with a slight wind, etc. It was not overly wide though. As others have mentioned though, it was fairly easy to load, and with a 30 HP 2 stroke, went plenty fast enough. The deciding factor to switch up to a biger boat though was constantly having to step over the seats, and not enough room for extended day trips, etc.

I upgraded to a 16'2" mirror craft laker 3673 with an open fllor plan, no seats to step over any more! 33" bow depth, 20" transom, 74" beam, 3 seating stations, Livewell, plenty of storage. Put a 50 HP 4 stroke tohatsu on the back end, the 50HP was the same wieght as the 40 HP anyways.

The boat has ample room for 2 poeple, and the Dog, and all my 2 many tackle boxes, cooler, and all the gear for an extended day trip out on the water.

I was quite impressed on how easy of fuel the boat is, and is quite capable in a little less than perfect weather, if you keep your wits about you!

Its heavier than the old 14' satrcraft rocket for sure, but way more comfy!

I have seen a few used mirrorcraft lakers for sale, but they go quite fast, good luck in your search, this time of the year should be good to find a suitable boat for your needs!

I have attached some pictures f the boat, and Shadow my dog to give you an idea of how this boat has worked good for me!

Nice boat! but in regards to your statement about previous rigs I think the advantages of a 20" transom over a 15" get a bit over stated. Call this an unpopular opinion but in my experience the difference is close to nill. If you are going to take water on from the back in a short shaft boat it's going to make it over in a long shaft.

I've spent a lot of time on the water in all sorts of conditions with boats that run a 15" transom and have taken water on twice. Both times involved wake boats and the obnoxious type waves they produce. A taller transom would have done exactly nothing in those situations.

By all means nothing wrong going a bit taller but it's not like you are a sitting duck out there with a 15".
Old 09-21-2020, 01:51 PM

Fwiw, we've got a 14' Lund Rebel Adventure Series with a 25hp Evinrude, Minn Kota Power Drive V2 with Co-Pilot, and a brand new Lowrance Elite Ti9.... looking to upgrade to an 18' tiller (ideally the Alumacraft Competitor 185 with a 90 tiller).....

Will likely be putting the Lund up for sale this fall at 10k obo. It's a great little unit for anyone starting out or wanting to downsize. Twice this summer I had guys in bigger boats tell me that my unit is perfect and what they wish they had.

Anyhow, food for thought....... if anyone knows anyone interested, it'll be on Kijiji and FB Marketplace soon enough. I can be reached at radionoel31@gmail.com.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
16 foot Lund SSV with 40 horses on it. Done!
Now yer talkin!

Better to have too much power and not need it then to need it and not have it.

A 14-16' boat going upstream in the NSR with 3 or even 4 guys in the boat and suddenly that "way too big" motor is just right.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
You can have a 24ft boat on Cold Lake and get into trouble. Regardless of the size/type of the boat you need to be aware of the forecast/conditions and monitor it often. A bunch of guys fish Cold Lake with Kayaks so anything is do-able.

14ft is a nice entry into owning a boat and can be fished on any water body in this province when the conditions are appropriate. Not to big so you can get into smaller water bodies easier and even switch to an electric for potholes. Can be launched solo. Nice and flexible won’t break the bank.
Yup....had big....downsized for the simple reason of getting on the water made simple.....wife, dog and myself or just myself.....no issues at all...lots of space for gear too....the little 14 foot crestliner has been going strong since 2005....put a 15 Honda on the back and she goes perfect with two in it....putt putt all day trolling and still got half a tank of gas at the end of the day....not a bad choice...
IMG_3553.JPG
This little boat set up has many hours on cold lake and yes it has limitations as did my 18 foot fish and ski boat...eye to the sky and just don't risk it cuz these big open bodies of water can get real angry real quick...had 5 foot waves break over the bow on the big boat..lots of water real fast...thank god for the bilge pumps...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 09-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Fwiw, we've got a 14' Lund Rebel Adventure Series with a 25hp Evinrude, Minn Kota Power Drive V2 with Co-Pilot, and a brand new Lowrance Elite Ti9.... looking to upgrade to an 18' tiller (ideally the Alumacraft Competitor 185 with a 90 tiller).....

Will likely be putting the Lund up for sale this fall at 10k obo. It's a great little unit for anyone starting out or wanting to downsize. Twice this summer I had guys in bigger boats tell me that my unit is perfect and what they wish they had.

Anyhow, food for thought....... if anyone knows anyone interested, it'll be on Kijiji and FB Marketplace soon enough. I can be reached at radionoel31@gmail.com.
dam if I was in the market this sounds just about perfect....

Old 09-27-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
dam if I was in the market this sounds just about perfect....
It's a great rig for sure. Been really good to us... Nice and heavy and handles conditions pretty well. Just need more space, and after watching all the YouTube boys (Wiebe, Siemens, Schick, etc) we realize we need an 18' with a 90 tiller....
Old 09-28-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
It's a great rig for sure. Been really good to us... Nice and heavy and handles conditions pretty well. Just need more space, and after watching all the YouTube boys (Wiebe, Siemens, Schick, etc) we realize we need an 18' with a 90 tiller....
Great choice....good luck....post pics up of your new rig!

Old 11-21-2020, 10:08 PM

Default boat trailer

No one has mentioned a trailer.
Get one that has an under slung axle or frame. In other words one that has the frame or axle of set below the center of the wheels. Yup more money, but loading and unloading become several times easier as you aren't backing your truck in so far you need waders to unload and load the boat. And since you are in Alberta where the wind blows( just a little bit)get side rollers, 2 to each side will make loading a breeze. Yup more money again, but take it from an old guy who has been boating for about 55 years, you will appreciate the advice the first time you decide to load the boat in a 40 mile an hour cross wind. If you get the nose of the boat into the first side roller (or guide) you just pull it in and it will load like a dream. Even one side roller is better than none.
The older lunds and Starcraft were usually pretty shallow. Remember wide and deep.
I have had a couple of 14 foot Mirro Craft boats. They are wonderful but it's a little hard to get a second hand one as no one wants to part with them. They are heavy but very solid. I am now running a 15 ft. 6 inch Smoker craft. Very nice boat. My boats are all tillers. Put in a consul and you add 100 to 200 pounds to the boat and another grand or two.
And don't forget " a 20 inch transom"
Bjay

Last edited by Bjay; 11-21-2020 at 10:18 PM.