Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-20-2020, 07:08 PM

Default Shipping guns

I have someone interested in a gun I’m selling. How are you guys shipping. I’m not having much luck finding a source to ship.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:24 PM

There is only one AFIK , Canada Post.

Make sure you check their new shipping rates
Old 11-20-2020, 07:29 PM

I tried to ship a revolver to Ontario from Alberta with Canada Post a couple months ago, and they gave me a heck of a time. I was told that I have to register with a small business account, and then pre-make a shipping label at home before shipping it. When I tried to do this, I was on the phone with a Canada Post rep who had no idea what the first person was talking about.
Ended up going to a different Canada Post outlet, and didn't tell them what was in the box. No problems after that.
Previous to that incident, Canada Post has always been what I've used, with no issues.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Default shipping guns

i just mailed a long gun by canada post as well , the post office outlet told me the same thing , had to have a small business address , i said it was the first iv'e heard of it ,lady read me the memo and said it came out in may after the shooting in Nova Scotia, luckily i have a small business
Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 PM

Default Shipping Canada Post

I shipped a carbine using Canada Post. Set up a small business account, packaged the gun, weighed and measured box, printed label, took it to post office, gave it to them and they said all was good. Arrived at the buyer a couple days later. No problems.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM

What are you thinking when telling the PO you are shipping a firearm?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
What are you thinking when telling the PO you are shipping a firearm?
One lady at my post office asks everytime I drop one off. And demands to know. I just smile and keep repeating sporting equipment. It really makes her mad too. Lol As long as I follow the rules its none of her business.

It's easier now with the small business instructions. Just have it all packaged and paid for in advance. You just drop it off now.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:26 PM

Ya why would you tell the person at the post office you're shipping a gun?
Old 11-20-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKG View Post
I shipped a carbine using Canada Post. Set up a small business account, packaged the gun, weighed and measured box, printed label, took it to post office, gave it to them and they said all was good. Arrived at the buyer a couple days later. No problems.
Same here.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:42 PM

Default cost is outrageous

To Guelph/Ont. uninsured $50 and forced to pay HST! To Labrador $60 ! It was more expensive with my business card figure that? The day before for $35 which is reasonable.When did this change?

Last edited by Pioneer2; 11-20-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
To Guelph/Ont. uninsured $50 and forced to pay HST! To Labrador $60 ! It was more expensive with my business card figure that? The day before for $35 which is reasonable.When did this change?
Well.... hate to point out the obvious but if it was 35 one day then the next was 50... it seems like it changed that night.

But in all seriousness you pay taxes based on where the shipment goes, thus if we also buy something online and it ships hereet's say from Ontario we actually dont pay hst, only gst.

I also noticed the price was jumping around when I was working on the prepaid small business aspect. It said one price then the next time later that day it gave me a different price. Then it changed back to the original one when I went to pay... it was very confusing

Last edited by freeride; 11-21-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:56 AM

Default Case +Point

Captain Obvious. Yes it's frustrating quoting one price to a customer and sucking up the difference at the till.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
One lady at my post office asks everytime I drop one off. And demands to know. I just smile and keep repeating sporting equipment. It really makes her mad too. Lol As long as I follow the rules its none of her business.

It's easier now with the small business instructions. Just have it all packaged and paid for in advance. You just drop it off now.

One, there are other post offices. 2 have you complained to the head person at the post office, store manager if it is an in-store or filed a complaint. What she is doing is breaching your privacy and she will keep doing it till someone kicks her butt for it. We all need to push back hard on this stuff or it spreads.

As far as shipping guns, unfortunately Canada post is the only reasonable cost option. Their new rules about needing a small business account are actually easy to follow and you get expedited parcel for the same price as regular parcel. Mailing cost are however not cheap.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:00 PM

How does one get a small business account without a business??
Cat
Old 11-22-2020, 01:41 AM

Default easy

Like a Panamanian oil tanker .................pick a name you're a business.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Quote:
Business is the activity of making one's living or making money by producing or buying and selling products (such as goods and services). Simply put, it is "any activity or enterprise entered into for profit.
Sounds like you have a business...

I'd call yours CatntheHat lol
Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Same here.
Same. Easy.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
they just call it a small business account, just apply and you are accepted

the real reason is the rcmp track the new business accounts daily and now can track your movements and your sales and know where they are going,
nice eh. deep state has started Justin
Old 11-22-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Well.... hate to point out the obvious but if it was 35 one day then the next was 50... it seems like it changed that night.

But in all seriousness you pay taxes based on where the shipment goes, thus if we also buy something online and it ships hereet's say from Ontario we actually dont pay hst, only gst.

I also noticed the price was jumping around when I was working on the prepaid small business aspect. It said one price then the next time later that day it gave me a different price. Then it changed back to the original one when I went to pay... it was very confusing
thought they recently changed the rates for oversize as Xmas is coming
Old 11-22-2020, 11:42 AM
Shooting Xs

I recently shipped a barrel/action and barrel blank with out requiring a Signature, it was delivered to the front porch of the destination address and left, tracking info declared that.
If it requires a signature you have to pick it up at your local PO and show ID.
Your regular delivery person isn't allowed to collect signatures on parcels.
I was not asked about the contents ,nor offered that info when dropping off at the PO., when said parcel returned it required a Sig. with ID along with the pickup card notice.
So ,as far as I can tell ,if you ask for a signature confirming delivery they won't drop it at it's destination, BUT ,you know how that can go.
This is my only experience with shipping since the new policy came into affect.
YMMV
Old 11-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
thought they recently changed the rates for oversize as Xmas is coming
That I dont know. I just know I shipped one about 2 months ago. I logged in and it said one price as the complete total at the pay section. I had to leave for a bit so I left it and logged in about an hour later to actually complete it and the price was different, it went to enter my credit card and it changed back to the original price. Both me and my wife were looking at it trying to figure out why the prices were different, in the end it was exactly the same but if I were quoting someone a shipping price I would have been short changed as Pioneer stated as well.
Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Default Years ago

Canada post left two new boxed rifles in the snow leaning against the wrong house address 3 doors down in a seedy trailer park..Lucky a buddy was expecting them and walked over to check.Yup they were for him.I feel safer.Another buddy had a $14,000 Prairie Gun Works rifle left in an alley leaning against the alley wall in the dead of winter overnight because the bimbo deliverer couldn't carry it into the Loomis Depot. It's too heavy she said in the Pelican case.With his phone # on the case they couldn't be bothered to call him .It was just luck he drove 30 miles to the nearest town and saw it outside.Don't know how criminals get guns?Know of several instances of crates of ammo left in a stack on the front step again in the dead of winter.No signature for AR lowers etc.It's a cluster.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:16 AM

Wink A feel good story about Canada Post

At least they didn't leave it sitting outside.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-shop...tead-1.5236525

Quote:
N.S. shop owner orders holiday leggings, receives handgun instead
Heidi Petracek, CTV News Atlantic Reporter
Published Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:14PM AST Last Updated Thursday, December 17, 2020 9:20PM AST

HANTSPORT, N.S. -- As the owner of The Barking Bean Café in Hantsport, N.S., Glenn Deering usually spends his days pouring coffee for customers and stocking his shelves with food and goodies for canines.

But lately, he's had to expand his offerings in-store, to make up for lost revenue due to pandemic restrictions on how many customers he can have in his café. So, he started bringing in some apparel to sell, namely leggings.

After recently placing an order for holiday-themed leggings, he thought nothing of it when a box from the apparel supplier arrived via Canada Post earlier this week.

But he got a surprise when he opened the box up.

"Just opened it up and noticed a hard black case," he says, "and I said 'OK, this is not leggings.'"

He opened up the plastic case and couldn't believe what he saw.

"To my surprise, it turned out to be a 9mm handgun," said Deering.

There was no ammunition in the package -- it's illegal to ship firearms with ammunition in Canada – but there was paperwork with the semi-automatic 9mm pistol.

That paperwork showed the gun was meant for a buyer in Ontario. The gun model requires a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) to purchase in Canada.

Deering says he called Windsor District RCMP for help, since he does not have a PAL and knew it would be illegal for him to have the gun in his possession.

The RCMP confirm that the gun in question is now in their custody.

RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Andrew Joyce informed CTV News in an email that "the firearm was sent in a lawful manner from a licensed firearms business in Ontario, to a licensed individual, to whom the registration certificate and authorized [sic] had been issued by the Canadian Firearms Program."

CTV News contacted the apparel company Deering had ordered the leggings from. A representative with "Leg Smart" told CTV News in an email that the company had been made aware of the situation. Liza MacDonald says the company would have shipped its product out in a compostable mailer, not in a cardboard box.

MacDonald says the company contacted Canada Post, which she says "treated the matter as if it were simply a lost parcel," and that there had been no further communication.

Deering says close inspection of the parcel he received provided a clue as to what went wrong.

"The shipping label came off of my package somehow and ended up on top of this other one," Deering said.

A photo of the package taken by Deering does appear to show his label affixed over another.

As to how that happened?

"Good question, that's the part now that's really questionable, trying to figure out where and how the label came off the shipping bag of the leggings onto a cardboard box," Deering says, "and directly over the label that was on the box."

Canada Post did respond in an email to inquiries from CTV News. "This incident is being investigated," writes Valérie Chartrand, media relations representative with the Crown corporation.

"We thank our customer for bringing the item to the RCMP and for bringing this situation to our attention. We are in contact with the customer and apologize for this incident. We don't have further details to share at this time."

Deering says, with the postal service being so busy this holiday season, he wants to caution anyone receiving parcels in the mail to check their packages carefully.

"Just don't assume that it's the items that you originally ordered and go ahead and wrap any boxes," he says. "Heaven forbid you wouldn't want to see that, this item could have ended up in the wrong hands."

The RCMP says it's grateful Deering did the right thing.

As for his original order of holiday leggings, without a shipping label, the package is long gone.

Deering says maybe he'll try that order again, next year.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell